Kodi Community Forum
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail (/showthread.php?tid=79616)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - Ned Scott - 2015-01-18

So I got a TiVo Slide Pro finally and decided to give this a go. First, I read through this thread and tried to update the wiki:

TiVo Slide (wiki)

Hopefully things should be updated now for newer Ubuntu versions, XBMC references replaced with Kodi, and has added notes for both Slide and Slide Pro.

However...

After following these new instructions, I can't get it to work, so I must have written/done something wrong. Anyone want to take a gander at the new wiki page and help me find were I erred? :)

Also, the page still needs OpenELEC notes (I'm not sure how different they are), Windows/EventGhost instructions, and maybe some tweaks to the suggested keymap. Feel free to give any other feedback on any of the instructions and layout as well, if it's easy to follow, etc.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - LongMan - 2015-01-18

On openELEC I placed the info below in a file called "99-tivoslidepro.hwdb" in the folder hwdb.d in config files share. I think the other buttons work ok and these are the problem ones.

keyboard:usb:v150Ap1203*
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0041=enter #SELECT
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0046=backspace #BACK
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006d=f3 #ZOOM
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006c=f4 #A (YELLOW)
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006b=f5 #B (BLUE)
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0069=f6 #C (RED)
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006a=f7 #D (GREEN)
KEYBOARD_KEY_0700d8=f8 #CLEAR
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0083=enter #ENTER/LAST
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c008d=home #GUIDE
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c009c=pageup #CHUP
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c009d=pagedown #CHDN
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b3=fastforward #FASTFORWARD
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b4=rewind #REWIND
KEYBOARD_KEY_00C00b1=playpause #PAUSE
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00f5=stopcd #SLOW
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0209=i #INFO
KEYBOARD_KEY_ff003d=end #TiVo

Edit: It should be noted that each line with KEYBOARD_KEY MUST have a space in front of it. If the space is absent the file does not work. This is also assuming that you bought the one with the dongle.

Cheers.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - ntlord - 2015-01-18

If you want working Tivo, LiveTV, and Thumbs Up/Down buttons, the instructions are much more complicated. You would need to recompile the kernel, or at least a new module.

In general, you just need to modify the file hid-ids.h from the source of the kernel you are working with to read like this:

Code:
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_TIVO_SLIDE        0x1203

Then just recompile the kernel or the module. And you are done. I'm sure there are plenty of instructions out there on how to recompile your kernel/build modules for Ubuntu and OpenElec

I did mine on a RaspberryPi, which was a bit more complicated because the Raspian kernel did not have the Tivo driver compiled into the Kernel or as a module already. So, I also had to change the Kernel config to enable it. For whatever reason, when I just compiled the Tivo driver as a module, I could not get the kernel to auto-detect the Tivo remote, even after I did a modprobe. So, ultimately, I just recompiled the kernel with my modified Tivo driver compiled into the Kernel (instead of a module), and it now works great

I suspect with OpenElec or Ubuntu, since the Tivo driver is probably already compiled as a module, you would just need to make the modification to the file, and recompile as a module.

Edit: In case anybody is interested, the reason I did all of this was to make a Tivo Remote Proxy server. I have actual Tivos, and so I wanted to control both my Tivo and XBMC (actually Plex Home Theater) from the same remote. So I wrote a python program which figures out which "input" the remote is on, receives RF signals from the Tivo remote, and controls the respective component using Network remote control. I also integrated HDMI cec, so it can turn on/off my TV and control of my Yamaha AV reciever. If people are interested, I'd be willing to post the code up on GitHub.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - ScottJ - 2015-01-19

(2015-01-18, 17:25)ntlord Wrote: Edit: In case anybody is interested, the reason I did all of this was to make a Tivo Remote Proxy server. I have actual Tivos, and so I wanted to control both my Tivo and XBMC (actually Plex Home Theater) from the same remote. So I wrote a python program which figures out which "input" the remote is on, receives RF signals from the Tivo remote, and controls the respective component using Network remote control. I also integrated HDMI cec, so it can turn on/off my TV and control of my Yamaha AV reciever. If people are interested, I'd be willing to post the code up on GitHub.

I'd be interested. I'm doing a similar setup.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - Ned Scott - 2015-01-19

It was the space before KEYBOARD_KEY that I was missing, thanks! I've made sure to specifically point this out on the wiki instructions.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - Talguy - 2015-01-19

(2015-01-18, 09:15)Ned Scott Wrote: Also, the page still needs OpenELEC notes (I'm not sure how different they are), Windows/EventGhost instructions, and maybe some tweaks to the suggested keymap. Feel free to give any other feedback on any of the instructions and layout as well, if it's easy to follow, etc.

I could try and jin something up for a windows eventhost setup. Might take me a few days.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - teki4u - 2015-01-19

OMG, this might be the remote control i've been wanting, so i should buy the version with the dongle if i have no tivo right? better? i take it the remote control functionalities are IR and the keyboard is RF? someone enlighten me , a link wouldn't bother me Tongue, thanks.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - ScottJ - 2015-01-19

(2015-01-19, 19:52)Veronica Wrote: OMG, this might be the remote control i've been wanting, so i should buy the version with the dongle if i have no tivo right? better? i take it the remote control functionalities are IR and the keyboard is RF? someone enlighten me , a link wouldn't bother me Tongue, thanks.

Yes get the one with the dongle. I'm not sure if it has any IR; I use it 100% RF. It looks like a USB keyboard to the computer.

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - noggin - 2015-01-19

(2015-01-19, 19:52)Veronica Wrote: OMG, this might be the remote control i've been wanting, so i should buy the version with the dongle if i have no tivo right? better? i take it the remote control functionalities are IR and the keyboard is RF? someone enlighten me , a link wouldn't bother me Tongue, thanks.

The main Tivo functionality is RF (and you need the dongle which appears as a HID), but the device can be programmed to make some buttons (Volume for instance) send IR codes to control a TV or Amp instead.

It's a great little remote. Once the Thumbs Up/Down, Tivo and Live TV buttons properly work in OpenElec it will be awesome! Live TV for TV Headend PVR access would be amazing!

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - teki4u - 2015-01-19

(2015-01-19, 20:14)noggin Wrote:

The main Tivo functionality is RF (and you need the dongle which appears as a HID), but the device can be programmed to make some buttons (Volume for instance) send IR codes to control a TV or Amp instead.

It's a great little remote. Once the Thumbs Up/Down, Tivo and Live TV buttons properly work in OpenElec it will be awesome! Live TV for TV Headend PVR access would be amazing!

Only Volume?, on amazon says "Learning capable - Programmable to control power, input, volume, and mute on your TV and A/V receiver using built-in database of commands, or learn these commands directly from your TV's and receiver's remote controls."

I don't have an A/V receiver, but i would like to control power, input, volume and mute of my TCL TV and connect then the RF dongle to my main Kodi Box which is an android tv box (my main remote for this broke and right now i'm using an "equiso" remote control, works but SUCKS)

RE: Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail - noggin - 2015-01-19

I'd look at the Tivo site for confirmation. I don't use mine to control anything other than Kodi under OpenElec, so can't confirm exactly which controls can be remapped to IR. Volume was one I was sure of - hence me stating it as a 'for instance'

(2015-01-19, 20:43)noggin Wrote: I'd look at the Tivo site for confirmation. I don't use mine to control anything other than Kodi under OpenElec, so can't confirm exactly which controls can be remapped to IR. Volume was one I was sure of - hence me stating it as a 'for instance'

ok, thanks. here is where i checked: http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Slide-Remote-Roamio-DVRs/dp/B00HC2XTMA#customerReviews

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/tivoslidepro

How about the Tivo site?
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/294/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL0djNUFrU2Nt

yeah, i added a link to my last post. there states what i mentioned. can you try to see if controling those functions on your tv works? i get it as those at list are IR right?

(2015-01-19, 21:05)Veronica Wrote: yeah, i added a link to my last post. there states what i mentioned. can you try to see if controling those functions on your tv works? i get it as those at list are IR right?

Will do when I'm near my Tivo Slide Pro. I split time between two residences - and it's at the other one...