Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jasjeet - 2012-10-26

Yesterday i watched a movie (MKV AC3) and i had no sync issues that i could notice with the 22/10/2012 nightly and the settings i mentioned.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - alfredo - 2012-10-26

jasjeet,
...so the nightly build that really works is the one dated 22/10/2012 or the 25/10/2012 one?

I currently have a i5 3570K CPU and using the internal GPU HD4000, the lipsync with MKV/AC3 at 23,976 is horrible on Eden. Sad

I would probably give a chance to the Frodo nightly that worked for you.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jasjeet - 2012-10-26

Can't get to the HTPC till Monday but sure its either 22/10 or 23/10 nightly. It is also dropping frames every 8 minutes now (1 every 8mins or so) so the sync doesn't get worse as the film continues.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2012-11-04

I made this 23.976fps TEST VIDEO. It's odd that I have to set my audio delay to about 0.88 seconds. Where most movies I have to set around 0.188 seconds.
Make sure to click the "Download This File" button for the file.

What kind of audio offset do you require? Make sure to follow the instructions HERE for the settings, then play the video to make sure you're playing in 23.976fps mode and not 60fps mode.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2012-11-04

Excellent video! I've been looking for something like this for a looong time.

I've tested the file on several setups.

PC->Logitech z5500 = Perfect sync

WDTV 3.gen -> Sony Bravia LED = Perfect sync

Popcorn hour C200 -> Panasonic 65VT50 = Perfect sync

HTPC w/MPHC -> NAD M15HD2 -> Panasonic 65VT50 = Perfect sync

HTPC w/XBMC -> NAD M15HD2 -> Panasonic 65VT50 = +/- 85ms ahead. (That means I run with a 85ms audio delay)

And while we're on the subject... Most movies, series etc (mkv container @23,976) runs with good sync @85ms delay.
However most 50/60p material, youtube clips etc has good sync to start with, so I have to re-adjust to 0ms to watch with good sync.

So... still, it seems that XBMC has difficulties with 24p material, just not as much as before...
Only difference seems to be that while it used to delay the sound of 24p material it now puts the audio ahead. At least that's the case for me.

Could also have something to do with how XBMC sends the audio via HDMI? This is not my field of expertise, but logic dictates that digital sources can put the audio ahead because video signals takes more time to process than audio... so the audio ends up ahead. However most new HDMI equipment can auto-adjust lipsync by using some kind of protocol or something via HDMI... Again, not my field of expertise... so maybe XBMC does not send all the info required for the auto-lipsync?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - cyradix - 2012-11-04

Same here with all the latest nightlies.
With auto refresh rate set to off all is fine, but when it is set to on I have to set the audio to about -200ms for it to appear in sync (for 23,976 content)
One important note though... it's fine while bitstreaming, but has the delay when XBMC has to decode the audio.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2012-11-05

(2012-11-04, 13:52)torcar Wrote: Excellent video! I've been looking for something like this for a looong time.
I've always wanted something like this too, so I just made one. I used Windows Live Movie Maker and inserted the two frames I made in Photoshop. Then it shows the white box for 0.1 seconds and the black for 0.9 seconds. I made the audio using Audacity and created it for 3 frames, just about 0.1 seconds. Created a WMV file then used Handbrake to transcode it to an MKV. I tried to make the fattest bit rate, but there's only so much size you can make using only black and white.

I'm not sure if this artificially created 11 Mbps 23.976 video holds up to real 11 Mbps movies. Due to the compression it looks like it turns out to be 851 Kbps video. But at least it still allows you to test A/V sync using different modes.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - cnewton2k - 2012-11-06

do we know when this will be fixed yet?

this is quiet a big bug and we will soon be in BETA !

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - franekf - 2012-11-12

It really take so long to fix it. I just tried the mediaportal and with its dynamic refresh rate i dont see this problem, and the bonus for me is it can perfectly play m2ts interleaved files from my cam, which is not possible with xbmc default player. I like xbmc more, but this is may be the reason for me to try something else...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jajoj - 2012-11-23

I have had this issue on Windows with all recent nightlies. The lipsync is "ok", but not spot on.

I rolled back to 20120601-cdd9c64-master and here the lipsync is absolutely perfect (with AE and bitstreaming of hd audio).

Something must have happened after this release that screwed things up.

Is this build available for Ubuntu? I am migrating from Windows to Ubuntu but the lipsync issue is forcing me to stay on Windows. Would be fun to see if the Ubuntu package from the same code base is fine too. Anyone know of a place to download old packages?

/ j

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jpsdr - 2012-11-30

It's just a hunch, so it may lead to nothing, but...
I personnaly have no issue, so i can't test, but, for those who have issues, have you tested if disabling all DXVA stuff (both in decoding, rendering, etc...) solved/changed anything ? Of course, it makes sense only if CPU is powerfull enough to properly handle video decoding without issue.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - cnewton2k - 2012-12-03

Is the sync issue fixed in beta 1 or 2

I am currently running alpha 3 as its the only good one I have found for sync issues

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2012-12-03

Not for me and the only thing that resolves it is to switch off vertical sync - which of course introduces 'tearing'. And this is the annoying thing it only manifests itself in xbmc - Media Portal, JRiver and using mpc-hc doesn't show any sync issues. Ho Hum.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - ninian - 2012-12-03

Since upgrading to Frodo Beta I am having this lip sync issue. However I am not on Windows, I am running XBMCbuntu on a Zotac ID80 machine. I have read through most of this thread, many people have posted didnt types of things they have tried, are there any steps I should take to fix this?

I have tried messing around with matching the refresh rate and video but this seemed to make things work with some tearing.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - onlineN - 2012-12-07

Same here. I'm using Frodo Beta 2 on Win 8 64bit . I have to use the audio offset setting and adjust it to - 0,175ms. Is it in the plans to be fixed on the next beta?