Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - cnewton2k - 2013-01-28

i cannot believe this hasnt been fixed yet! its a massive problem

It did work perfectly as i am running alpha 3 and i have not lag at all

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Aemstel - 2013-02-03

(2013-01-28, 14:20)cnewton2k Wrote: i cannot believe this hasnt been fixed yet! its a massive problem

It did work perfectly as i am running alpha 3 and i have not lag at all

Same here. Alpha3 was the only build I had that had correct A/V sync. Of course using this build is no option because it breaks all kinds of recent plugins and addons.
I now disabled vertical blank sync which seems to fix the A/V sync problems, but of course, this gives tearing...

Maybe some other people from this thread who experience the sync issues could test the alpha3. If they also have good sync with this build, then maybe a dev could compare the relevant code between alpha3 and frodo final?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2013-02-04

Also running Alpha3 with a delay of 110ms on 24p material.

I haven't risked upgrading to Frodo yet because my current setup is stable, but I'll have to make the jump soon Wink

Very sad that this issue seems to be so hard for the dev's to crack, but I'm still hoping Wink

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Aemstel - 2013-02-04

(2013-02-04, 09:55)torcar Wrote: Also running Alpha3 with a delay of 110ms on 24p material.

Hmm, that's too bad. That blows my theory that alpha3 had no sync problems...
Your sig shows you're using alpha6 though..?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - M0dj0 - 2013-02-04

Hi Aemstel,

When you say you have sync. problems, could you clarify what it is you mean?

(1) To have video and audio in sync, you have to apply a delay on the audio. This delay is constant, and once setup, everything is fine.
(2) The video starts out just fine with audio and video in sync. Then periodically, the audio and video drift apart, only to become synchronized again a little later. Then it is like this from time to time during the entire playback of the video.

Do you only mean either of the two options above, or both of them? What is your setup like? Is your XBMC box connected through an AV-recevier (AVR), or directly to a TV/Projector? What AVR/TV/Projector do you have?

(2013-02-04, 15:00)Aemstel Wrote:
(2013-02-04, 09:55)torcar Wrote: Also running Alpha3 with a delay of 110ms on 24p material.

Hmm, that's too bad. That blows my theory that alpha3 had no sync problems...
Your sig shows you're using alpha6 though..?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - fepunk - 2013-02-04

newbie question, this issue occurs with the XBMC/DSPlayer version too??

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Aemstel - 2013-02-04

Hi M0dj0,

I have my NVidia 560ti connected to a Pioneer VSX-1020-K AVR that's connected to my Panasonic ST50 TV using HDMI cables.

The sync problems I have been experiencing for a long time now, seem to differ per XBMC build. It's quite hard to tell. But there's definately something wrong. With the latest frodo final it seems that it's indeed a constant delay. I've now set a delay of 125ms in advancedsettings, and from what I've been watching since I have this build, it seems to fix the A/V sync.
When starting a movie the desync is immediately noticable, but then I find it very hard to manually set a delay. It never seems quite spot on to me, and the longer I try to adjust it, the harder it becomes to find the correct delay.

I did not need to set any kind of delay with alpha3. Also, this problem only happens with 24p content with my XBMC HTPC. Other connected devices (like my PVR and PS3) need no manual adjustments whatsoever. Also, turning off vertical blank sync fixes the AV sync. All this makes me believe that there is something wrong with most XBMC builds including frodo final.

It might also be caused by my specific HTPC hardware setup, Nvidia -> AVR -> HDTV. But then why is there a difference between XBMC builds? And why do other settings, like vertical blank sync, effect the audio delay?

I did read that some people's setups do not experience this issue, and some persons are less sensitive to it than others. However, if you do notice it, it's very distracting.

I understand the problem would be extremely hard to pinpoint and fix, since so many different factors are involved. I can even understand that it is actually considered to be fixed. That setting a manual delay is the only way to help persons that experience the desync. However, like I pointed out, there is a good indication that there's actually something wrong with XBMC itself. If this is the case, then a fix would be great, since setting a spot on manual delay is not an easy thing to do. And if XBMC in fact has an issue itself, then the manual delay could be considered more of a workaround than a fix.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Aemstel - 2013-02-05

I have done some more extensive testing the last 24 hours, and it drove me nearly insane Wink Well not really, but you really start to lose focus after awhile, and it becomes nearly impossible to determine the error in delay.

I finally did the following:

1. Converted the sync test videos from http://editorsean.com/blog/49-audiovideosynctest to 23.976 fps using Handbrake.
2. Turned off the auto delay setting on my AVR. (not sure if it that's necessary, but to be sure it wouldn't interfere).
3. Set XBMC to: Vertical blank sync: always. Adjust display refresh rate to match video: always. Sync playback to display: drop / dupe audio.
4. I ran the converted test files within XBMC and determined I needed a delay of 160ms for 24p content. 50Hz was fine without delay. I set the 24p 160ms delay in advancedsettings.xml.

That's it. I think I can live with this. I've now told myself that there are no longer any sync issues. If I do notice any, it must be an error in the source video, or my brain is malfunctioning (both of which might actually be true Wink )!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2013-02-05

@Aemstel

Sorry, I upgraded to Alpha6 for a short period, but reverted to Alpha3 due to sync problems. Just forgot to update my sig.
However... I upgraded to Frodo final today and I will do some testing over the next days... I will report back.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - pleccy - 2013-02-07

(2013-01-21, 03:18)DanMan Wrote: advancedsettings.xml Now looks like this

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<latency>
<refresh>
<min>23</min>
<max>24</max>
<delay>200</delay>
</refresh>
</latency>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

THANK YOU!!!!! This is solved the problem!! Easy fix, just didn't know how.
Cheers

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - fepunk - 2013-02-07

(2013-02-04, 16:08)fepunk Wrote: newbie question, this issue occurs with the XBMC/DSPlayer version too??

Anyone?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2013-02-07

As DSPlayer is not an officially supported build you are unlikely to get an answer here - better to try the DSPlayer thread.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2013-02-08

Using Win7 Pro 64-bit, XBMC 12.0, bitstreaming to AVR, TV supports 23.976, 24, 50, 60 Hz. XBMC set to match playback to display. HTPC using and ATI 5450.

I am also experiencing lipsync issues on 24p material, but so far only on movies with DTS sound track, AC3 seems to be OK (on testing so far). And some DTS movies are also OK. The audio delay on the DTS movies seems to vary throughout the movie. On movies with lipsync issue I need to delay audio by approx 0.150.

If I disable vertical sync lipsync issues go away - but then left with tearing.

Previous posts in this tread link to a video sync file in 23.976 - can someone pls repost a link.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2013-02-21

(2013-02-08, 00:58)belongamick Wrote: Using Win7 Pro 64-bit, XBMC 12.0, bitstreaming to AVR, TV supports 23.976, 24, 50, 60 Hz. XBMC set to match playback to display. HTPC using and ATI 5450.

I am also experiencing lipsync issues on 24p material, but so far only on movies with DTS sound track, AC3 seems to be OK (on testing so far). And some DTS movies are also OK. The audio delay on the DTS movies seems to vary throughout the movie. On movies with lipsync issue I need to delay audio by approx 0.150.

If I disable vertical sync lipsync issues go away - but then left with tearing.

Previous posts in this tread link to a video sync file in 23.976 - can someone pls repost a link.

Have found that if I turn off bitstreaming and enable A//V Sync (using Audio Clock) that I get no Lipsync issues, and no issues with video judder. Except when I jump forward/back I sometimes start to see the "Missed" counter start incrementing (run away counter issue) and then lipsync issues creep in - this is resolved by jumping forward/back once or twice to stop the missed counter incrementing.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2013-02-23

A really cool patch would be if someone with plugin experience who knows about video recognition could make an auto audio/video sync plugin. Where it reads the video movement and automatically sets the audio delay to sync correctly. Then no matter where the audio is, i.e. +/-1000ms, it would always be looking at the video to sync the audio correctly in real time. Quite a bit over my programming knowledge, and probably everyone else here. But it's fun to dream.. Smile