Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Ray_N - 2011-11-01

DrGosha Wrote:F.e. what do you mean by this:

Sorry, can't help you with your Mac issue, but to answer your other question, yes, there are already some minor differences than in the article. The first one that I had to deal with was in allowing network access to MySQL and that is already posted in the wiki...that issue seemed to be Linux specific because of the MySQL configuration file and its not covered in the article. There is also another note about creating an Index in the database for faster response that's not on the article. Next, I plan to expand the wiki to cover the thumbnails sharing issue for a fully synchronized XBMC installation.

- DrGosha - 2011-11-02

SOLVED!!! Big Grin
As an IT student I know how lazy most of the programmers are and how little most of them care about logging - not the guys of XBMC!!! I found the log-file on my mac and everything was clear:
"ERROR: Can't open the database xbmc_video as it is a NEWER version than what we were expecting!"

All right, which versions do I have? Again the log-files telled me everything (just in the first line each). 10.1 on the mac but 11.0 on the atv2!!!

Since there is no stable release of 11.0 for mac I grabed the latest nightly build and everything works seamlessly and fast Big Grin

- devilshaven - 2011-11-02

nightly builds don't work with this

any idea why?

- DrGosha - 2011-11-03

@devilshaven: Where is your previous post? I have seen it on the go but now I don't remember exactly what your log-file showed. There were several different video-libraries, right? Do you use different profiles?

- devilshaven - 2011-11-03

DrGosha Wrote:@devilshaven: Where is your previous post? I have seen it on the go but now I don't remember exactly what your log-file showed. There were several different video-libraries, right? Do you use different profiles?

http://pastebin.com/7L5xDZ5a

here i have a new one for you, same nightly build, with the exact same settings it does not happen in the normal currently downloadable version

- rcloud - 2011-11-05

I was having problems getting this to work with nightly builds, but after messing around with it I figured out a way to get it to work.

I removed <name>xbmc_video</name> and <name>xbmc_music</name> from the advancedsettings.xml and just let xbmc create the databases.

So I ended up with MyVideos57.db, MyVideos34.db and MyMusic18.db.

Next, instead of just creating user 'xbmc' like the it says in the Wiki, I had to create a unique user for each computer and then grant privileges for each database.... So:

CREATE USER xbmc@nameofcomputer IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON MyVideos57.* TO xbmc@'%';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON MyVideos34.* TO xbmc@'%';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON MyMusic18.* TO xbmc@'%';

This worked for me so hopefully it will help others like myself who have no MySQL experience.

- devilshaven - 2011-11-05

won't this create redundant databases? any one know of a way to fix nightly builds not to look for the numbered databases and just use 1, just like the final version?

- Ray_N - 2011-11-06

devilshaven Wrote:won't this create redundant databases? any one know of a way to fix nightly builds not to look for the numbered databases and just use 1, just like the final version?

Call me crazy but, aren't "Nightly Builds" not to be used by everybody? Meaning, they are not final stable versions?...I believe it specifically states in the page:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nightly Builds
Only for the brave. You should expect breakage when running these builds.

WARNING: Nightly builds will update your libraries to a version that is not backwards-compatible with stable releases. Backup first!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems to me, if you want it to work better, stay with the stable releases...Anyway, if you attempt to band-aid it and force it to work, you may end up having to redo work once the next release or update or nightly build comes along. And you may just want to save yourself some unnecessary frustration...just my $0.02. Wink
r

- rcloud - 2011-11-06

Ray, what would be the fun in thatHuh

- Finchy - 2011-11-10

I'm trying to sync using MySQL on my Windows Home Server 2011. It seemed to be fine until I drop in the advancedsettings.XML file and run XBMC, at which point it just hangs. Do I need to set any specific folder permissions on the home server's video and music folders to allow MySQL access? Or create a specific user for MySQL in whs? I've tried it on my laptop and media pc (both win 7) but both have stumbled at the same point.

I'm still on 10.1 btw.

- jwdv22 - 2011-11-10

What are the clients that are trying to connect? My OpenElec client was hanging trying to connect to Win7 server with MySQL when I had the user pass incorrect.
I also got mine to work but downloading the recent nightlies, and removing the xbmc_videos and xbmc_music names from as.xml

- dsimages - 2011-11-10

Finchy Wrote:I'm trying to sync using MySQL on my Windows Home Server 2011. It seemed to be fine until I drop in the advancedsettings.XML file and run XBMC, at which point it just hangs. Do I need to set any specific folder permissions on the home server's video and music folders to allow MySQL access? Or create a specific user for MySQL in whs? I've tried it on my laptop and media pc (both win 7) but both have stumbled at the same point.

I'm still on 10.1 btw.

this is what i did to get mine working.... Im on openelec though. I believe its dharma 10.1

You need to make sure your firewall has whatever port your using open, then flush privledges on the mysql, then grant all on.
http://openelec.tv/forum/14-general-help-and-support/15344-mysql-not-working

- Finchy - 2011-11-11

dsimages Wrote:this is what i did to get mine working.... Im on openelec though. I believe its dharma 10.1

You need to make sure your firewall has whatever port your using open, then flush privledges on the mysql, then grant all on.
http://openelec.tv/forum/14-general-help-and-support/15344-mysql-not-working

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I just tried connecting SQLyog to the MySQL server and that couldn't connect, so I suspect my first problem is permissions. I'll have a read through your thread when the other half gets off the laptop!

- Darkcloud - 2011-11-13

I tried it and with the nightly it didn't work he just ignored the advancedsetings to use mysq. With the latest stable he accepts it but for some reason doesn't seem to be able to write to the databases and because of that they stay empty.

- Klyde - 2011-11-13

I'm running into a little issue hopefully someone can help me with.
Got it configured between 2 PC's with the synced library. They both see the same library, but for some reason neither side can mark episodes or movies as watched? I figured its a file permission issue but reapplied the commands in mysql but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Another issue I'm not sure if related, but since I re imported my library I'm missing a bunch of movies and when I rescan the sources it briefly does but nothing happens