Kodi Community Forum
Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db (/showthread.php?tid=80845)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- solexalex - 2010-12-26

No feedback ? Did you get the last version ? Is the english strings.xml fil working now ?

- The-Boxhead - 2010-12-26

Adding remote shares doesent seem to work correctly.
when it starts scanning the newly added picture source it just work for
2 seconds and adds nothing to the database.

Im on linux Karmic and Dharma 10 Final.

Gonna post a debug log of a session later to see if something comes up there.

- solexalex - 2010-12-26

ok, as I said, it is a very early attempt with not a lot of tests.
Send me your log and tell me what is your remote share. To works, it should be available from your system as something like "\\host\path\"
I haven't tested the authentification yet

- fiveisalive - 2010-12-27

english strings working and now in official repo

- solexalex - 2010-12-27

thank you fiveisalive.
I need something easier to maintain for next releases. I mean, when I do a lot of changes in my french strings.xml, all others strings may be wrong and nothing can tell except foreign users. I don't like this.
I think I'm going to think about something to replace missing strings by something explicitly showing that a string need to be translated.

This is the annoying thing with the addons. If a dev want a string file to be translated he need to send a version to the team. Then he needs a feedback, and some very friendly users to send language files, and then, he can release a new version with updated string files...

Anyway, thanks again for your translations fiveisalive

- Delboy - 2010-12-27

Great add-on, picture library is definitely needed although XBMC developers obviously don't think so. Thank you very much for creating it.

However, I have one small problem using it: I keep AVI clips taken with the camera together with the pictures in the folder named by the date taken. I have set to scan AVI files too in the add-on settings and they seem to be scanned. Are they imported to the database? I would really like to have them displayed together with the pictures using view by date option, can you somehow make it possible? Maybe you can take the date of file creation for files that don't have EXIF information when importing them to the database and display them too.

I suppose there are others too who keep their pictures and clips from the camera in the same way, because it is the default for Canon cameras.

- solexalex - 2010-12-27

Hi and thank you for your feedback.

You are sooooo right !! I am one of those who keep avi files taken with my camera in my picture folders (I have a folder by day of pic or movie shots).
Avi files was planning to include, but I have to be honnest, I left movies on the side of the work.

Movie files have a big problem with databasing. They don't content meta info, or better, I didn't found any "easy" way to get some meta infos (I think all different makers use different ways of embedding metas in their videos)

Talking with users about datetime of the video, the best way to get the datetime was to use one of the 3 dates stored on filesystem (modification, creation, access) but it can be untrue, because the file could have been updated and all the software does not write the dates the same way. Some change the last access, some changes the creation date ... It can be very exotic !

I should give it another try, and add some basic feature to get at least the files in the database.

Thanks for the request.

- Delboy - 2010-12-27

I'm glad you will try to do it, thanks.

I checked one of my files and modification date matches the exact date when movie was taken. Maybe you can have a setting for user to choose which date to use, that is the best you can do about it. If someone edits the video or is using software which changes the date when transferring from the camera, well, it is bad luck. Wink

- solexalex - 2010-12-27

I'm on it.
Already added the video files in the database. Need to find the good date to store and it should be a good beginning

- The-Boxhead - 2010-12-28

what about getting current features working and stable before adding more features ? Wink

- solexalex - 2010-12-28

et voilĂ , I added the st_mtime as a date for videos. This will be available on next release.
st_mtime is said to be :
Quote:st_mtime (time of most recent content modification)
which may not be the correct date time, but the best I can get right now. I'm opened to every suggestion.

The-boxhead Wrote:what about getting current features working and stable before adding more features ?
you're right. I need to make the current version stable enough to be a fully functionning version.

What about remote shares ? Did you see my answer here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=673595&postcount=168

sorry about the debug log delay...

here it is:
http://pastebin.com/1NNdzXJD

And yes when i add a network share it shows up in the addon as "\\host\path\"
When adding new shares i only get to choose from sources allready added to xbmc. i cannot browse smb network.

The share it self does not require any password or username. it has guest access as read only. Unless your addon doesent try to write anything to the share that is Smile

the share works fine from xbmc pictures and from my ubuntu laptop.

EDIT:

okay so i found this in the log:
Code:
00:29:51 T:2862852976 M:1413509120  NOTICE: Traceback (most recent call last):
00:29:51 T:2862852976 M:1413509120  NOTICE:   File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/plugin.image.mypicsdb/scanpath.py", line 194, in browse_folder
00:29:51 T:2862852976 M:1413509120  NOTICE:     listdir = oslistdir(dirname)
00:29:51 T:2862852976 M:1413509120  NOTICE: OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '\\\\IOMEGA-09740B\\photos\\'
00:29:51 T:2862852976 M:1413509120  NOTICE: MyPicsDB >> Error while trying to get directory content
00:29:51 T:2862852976 M:1413509120  NOTICE: MyPicsDB >> \\IOMEGA-09740B\photos\

okay managed to make a fix for this. seems like my xbmc
box trough terminal doesent resolve netbios names against ip. i coulden't
ping the name of my smb server IOMEGA.

Solution was this:

To create a mount location for your photos do this:
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/photos

Then create a static mount that will show up after you reboot
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Add this line to the fstab:
Code:
//192.168.0.152/photos    /media/photos        cifs    guest,iocharset=utf8 0 0
Replace //192.168.0.152/photos with your own settings, leave rest as is.
I had to use ip adress to mount. prolly some strange with the way my xbmc box is setup.

to mount all in fstab issue:
Code:
sudo mount -a

restart xbmc
Then from pictures in xbmc (not the addon) add
a new source by browsing local file system /media/photos
Important to browse local file system and not network in this step.
finish the source and name it whatever you like.

Now start the MyPicture Database addon and add the newly created source

it should now scan your share Smile

- solexalex - 2010-12-28

Wow ! Glad you found the trick as I'm not a linux addict and I don't think I could have found this solution !!

I would like more feedbacks about remote shares.
For example, I have to code something to test the accessibility of the remote share to not show pictures that wouldn't be available., or maybe I've not to do that... ? tell me !

First of all, when you add folders in your addon the browse system
is not the same as xbmc itself. You should add access to local filesystem
so that people can add a mounted source without having to create a source
trough xbmc first. this goes for linux only i guess.
You can see the difference if you add sources from xbmc and compare it
to your add source browser. couldent you just call the default xbmc browser here ?

when it comes to checking if pictures in the database exist on the share
im not a coder so I wouldnt know. But i think they have done this on the
music and movie library itself in xbmc. Maybe try and ask under the development forum about have they did this check ?

also would be nice to hear from other linux users if they have the same problem as me regarding shares. i.e pinging netbios names doesent work but ip adresses does. any quick fix for this ? Cause if there is
then i bellive your plugin would work without all the steps i mentioned earlier.