Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- Malard - 2011-09-29

Mudislander Wrote:Recieved remote this morning Big Grin

Instant problem though, the range really sucks. The dongle is in the back of my heavy aluminium SilverStone case under my 50 inch TV. I would expect to be able to use the remote sitting on the sofa about 3 meters away. To get the remote to work I have to crawl down to the media center stick the remote through so it passes the back of the case & then it'll work.

Has anyone got any ideas on extending the range, I'm not too keen on the idea of a visible extender cable.

BTW no little gift as promised, not an issue though.

Gift is digital (not physical) and it's announced next week!

The dongle has a directional antenna (just found this out from Motorola) so put the dongle in a usb hub, or at the front of the case and your range will come back!

- Malard - 2011-09-29

Other thing, we've had at least 2 customers email us saying they had to switch the batteries out with new Duracell (other brands are available teehee) my guess is the battery quality that gets shipped is what you can expect from china..

- mat____ - 2011-09-29

Ok, finally got a chance to try it with the Mac based XBMC and while it "works".... it does not "just work".

Not all the keys behave as I'd expect, the play/pause button starts itunes instead of pausing xbmc, and stop does nothing at all. Fast forward works though.

I'm running the most recent pre-eden build, on osx 10.7 and I have tried putting the keyboard.xml file in ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymaps with little effect.

Malard, any chance of some details of the setup process here?
Thanks.

- Malard - 2011-09-29

mat____ Wrote:Ok, finally got a chance to try it with the Mac based XBMC and while it "works".... it does not "just work".

Not all the keys behave as I'd expect, the play/pause button starts itunes instead of pausing xbmc, and stop does nothing at all. Fast forward works though.

I'm running the most recent pre-eden build, on osx 10.7 and I have tried putting the keyboard.xml file in ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymaps with little effect.

Malard, any chance of some details of the setup process here?
Thanks.

The play/pause etc are standard multimedia keys you would find on your keyboard, so if OSX is taking over them, blame steve jobs Smile Hopefully someone knows how to disable iTunes from taking over.

- mat____ - 2011-09-29

Malard Wrote:The play/pause etc are standard multimedia keys you would find on your keyboard, so if OSX is taking over them, blame steve jobs Smile Hopefully someone knows how to disable iTunes from taking over.

That's not the answer I was hoping for! I'll try contacting a support address at Pulse-Eight, as their webpage states:

Quote:XBMC without the hassle
The first remote in the world designed for XBMC, work's straight out of the box; just connect the remote and all the keys will be instantly recognised.
Runs on almost everything
Out the box, the Nyxboard Hybrid will run on Windows, Mac, Apple TV's (First generation) and Linux.
(my emphasis)

- Mudislander - 2011-09-29

Quote:The dongle has a directional antenna

Yeah I guessed that, whats more it seems to have a very narrow recieving angle ( Well mine does) By changing the batteries I can now operate my PC via the remote, providing I strech as far forward as possible & hold the remote about 6 inches off the floor, which is about the level of the dongle. Still not good enough. Tommorrow I'll play around with turning off all wifi networks & phones & try it on my laptop

Edit Some good news, just retried it on my laptop & it's brilliant, I can use the remote out of the lounge & into the kitchen. Whats more the angle it receives from seems a lot better.

- mat____ - 2011-09-29

Mudislander Wrote:Yeah I guessed that, whats more it seems to have a very narrow recieving angle ( Well mine does) By changing the batteries I can now operate my PC via the remote, providing I strech as far forward as possible & hold the remote about 6 inches off the floor, which is about the level of the dongle. Still not good enough. Tommorrow I'll play around with turning off all wifi networks & phones & try it on my laptop

My test environment at work was a Macbook Pro, with the dongle plugged in on the left, and me standing away from the laptop with the dongle furthest away, so... not pointing at me, pointing at the wall. Three iphones and multiple computers in the office, one wireless AP a few feet from the laptop and a line of sight between the laptop and the remote.
Worked fine from about 10 meters.

- mat____ - 2011-09-30

re keymapping, incase this helps anyone. On my system I've made a small keyboard.xml file in the userdata/keymaps directory that gets me a context button and a few others, it's shown below and is very simple.

I must be doing it wrong though, as the EPG button sends the F3 key, and the Red button sends SHIFT-F3, but they both do the same task in xbmc, which is why EPG and USER are not defined in my file yet.

the previous track, next track, play/pause and stop seem to send no code at all to xbmc (looking at keypress events in the log) but I'm still looking into that. Anyway, here's the file.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f3 mod="leftshift">ContextMenu</f3>       <!-- RED     Context menu         -->
      <f4 mod="leftshift">FullScreen</f4>        <!-- GREEN   Display menu overlay -->
      <f5 mod="leftshift">ShowSubtitles</f5>     <!-- YELLOW  Subtitles            -->
      <f6 mod="leftshift">AudioNextLanguage</f6> <!-- BLUE    Switch audio track   -->
      <home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>     <!-- MENU    Jump to main menu    -->
      <f3></f3>                                  <!-- EPG                          -->
      <f4></f4>                                  <!-- USER                         -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

- Malard - 2011-09-30

mat____ Wrote:re keymapping, incase this helps anyone. On my system I've made a small keyboard.xml file in the userdata/keymaps directory that gets me a context button and a few others, it's shown below and is very simple.

I must be doing it wrong though, as the EPG button sends the F3 key, and the Red button sends SHIFT-F3, but they both do the same task in xbmc, which is why EPG and USER are not defined in my file yet.

the previous track, next track, play/pause and stop seem to send no code at all to xbmc (looking at keypress events in the log) but I'm still looking into that. Anyway, here's the file.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f3 mod="leftshift">ContextMenu</f3>       <!-- RED     Context menu         -->
      <f4 mod="leftshift">FullScreen</f4>        <!-- GREEN   Display menu overlay -->
      <f5 mod="leftshift">ShowSubtitles</f5>     <!-- YELLOW  Subtitles            -->
      <f6 mod="leftshift">AudioNextLanguage</f6> <!-- BLUE    Switch audio track   -->
      <home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>     <!-- MENU    Jump to main menu    -->
      <f3></f3>                                  <!-- EPG                          -->
      <f4></f4>                                  <!-- USER                         -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

try:

<f3 mod="shift">

and <f3>

- mat____ - 2011-09-30

Malard Wrote:try:

<f3 mod="shift">

and <f3>

That seems to have been changed in the recent nightlies, here's some log information:

<f3 mod="shift">ContextMenu</f3> (press red, no result)
Code:
07:02:55 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 00, sym: 0130, unicode: 0000, modifier: 0
07:02:55 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: leftshift (f0d2) pressed, action is
07:02:55 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 63, sym: 011c, unicode: f706, modifier: 1
07:02:55 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: f3 (f092) pressed, action is

<f4 mod="leftshift">FullScreen</f4> (press green, result)
Code:
07:02:57 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 00, sym: 0130, unicode: 0000, modifier: 0
07:02:57 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: leftshift (f0d2) pressed, action is
07:02:57 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 76, sym: 011d, unicode: f707, modifier: 1
07:02:57 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: f4 (f093) pressed, action is FullScreen

<f3></f3> (press EPG, no result)
Code:
07:02:59 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 63, sym: 011c, unicode: f706, modifier: 0
07:02:59 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: f3 (f092) pressed, action is

<f4></f4> (press USER, same result as green)
Code:
07:03:01 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 76, sym: 011d, unicode: f707, modifier: 0
07:03:01 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: f4 (f093) pressed, action is FullScreen

So it may be something to do with the current nightly builds. Anyone else had any luck?

- jhsrennie - 2011-09-30

mat____ Wrote:That seems to have been changed in the recent nightlies, here's some log information:
So it may be something to do with the current nightly builds. Anyone else had any luck?

Since about a month ago shift is ignored so shift-F3 is the same as F3. The reasons for this are involved and to do with legacy behaviour, but be assured that the change in behaviour fixes more than it breaks.

JR

- mat____ - 2011-09-30

jhsrennie Wrote:Since about a month ago shift is ignored so shift-F3 is the same as F3. The reasons for this are involved and to do with legacy behaviour, but be assured that the change in behaviour fixes more than it breaks.
JR

So the new XBMC remote from Pulse-eight has two buttons that cant be used because they send the same command as two other buttons? Shocked

- Malard - 2011-09-30

I'm working on getting this fixed.

2nd Day Opinons of Hybrid Remote - Mudislander - 2011-09-30

OK 2nd day now. Still not working on Linux machine, but am confident it's not the remotes fault. However on my Win7 Laptop it's brilliant. I like the feel of the remote in my hand & if you watch the flash you get an indication of how good the connection is between the remote & machine. The IR side works well & I've been teaching the remote different commands & now have the work of 3 remotes on the Hybrid. TV is mapped to the on/off & input cycles with the user button, my surround amp is mapped to the 1 to 9 buttons for input, zero is off & volume to volume. My Sky+ box has all the other buttons.
I could have done with a record & seperate pause button - small downer. my other very small thing is I'm colour blind between red and green so the MC/TV button is a little difficult.for me 2 different LED's would have helped. i do not have a problem with no backlights as 1/. that chews the battery & 2/. I still battle to see what's on the button anyway. So what I'm trying to say is in my opinion the remote is well worth the price & initial wait from the PreOrder. Thanks to everyone who must have had a hard time getting this idea up and running.
Cheers Bruce.

- gobbledigook - 2011-09-30

Malard Wrote:Gift is digital (not physical) and it's announced next week!

nice Smile

Malard Wrote:The dongle has a directional antenna (just found this out from Motorola) so put the dongle in a usb hub, or at the front of the case and your range will come back!

Mudislander Wrote:Edit Some good news, just retried it on my laptop & it's brilliant, I can use the remote out of the lounge & into the kitchen. Whats more the angle it receives from seems a lot better.

anyone let us know what sort of angle this is? i have tried new batteries and with the dongle stuck to the wall i'm getting no reception at 2 foot!! Frankly one of the reasons i purchased this is because i was under the impression the RF would be omnidirectional, therefore my waving the remote in the general direction of the receiver, which is not anywhere near the TV, would be no more...

plus any news on the keyboard.xml for dharma users? or is there just a bit to change for getting the home button to work?