Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- Mudislander - 2011-09-30

gobbledigook Wrote:nice Smile

anyone let us know what sort of angle this is? i have tried new batteries and with the dongle stuck to the wall i'm getting no reception at 2 foot!! Frankly one of the reasons i purchased this is because i was under the impression the RF would be omnidirectional, therefore my waving the remote in the general direction of the receiver, which is not anywhere near the TV, would be no more...

plus any news on the keyboard.xml for dharma users? or is there just a bit to change for getting the home button to work?

On my laptop I can move in a complete 360deg circle with the remote pointing away from the dongle. I'd say your problem is similar in my main machine where I suspect the usb port is not suppling enough voltage. I'm presently trying to find my old usb hub with power conector & then will be able to check further.

- gobbledigook - 2011-09-30

edit: post deleted - quite frankly it wasn't adding to the discussion, patience is a must!!

Range and Distance - Mudislander - 2011-09-30

Just out of interest, found my hub & on my laptop I can walk out the room up the stairs & into a bedroom while continually scrolling the main XBMC menu with the remote (Laptop stayed downstairs Wink ). I've got to go off to work now but will try out my main machine tomorrow.

- SkItZo - 2011-09-30

Just out of curiosity, will there be a way to set one of the keyboard buttons (Preferably red) to execute an alt+f4?

Thanks

- jhsrennie - 2011-09-30

mat____ Wrote:So the new XBMC remote from Pulse-eight has two buttons that cant be used because they send the same command as two other buttons? Shocked

453 (PR)

None of the other devs have shouted at me (yet), so this should be in Saturday's nightly build.

JR

- Malard - 2011-09-30

SkItZo Wrote:Just out of curiosity, will there be a way to set one of the keyboard buttons (Preferably red) to execute an alt+f4?

Thanks

You can't rebind the button, but in XBMC you could bind a button to exit xbmc if you wanted

- touser - 2011-10-01

The range issue is extremely disappointing to hear about. I ordered 4 remotes and haven't received them yet but a huge reason for ordering was because of the insanely horrible range of my logitech DiNovo edge keyboards. Is it possible to use a third party receiver with the remote or is it bound to the one it comes with? From the sound of it i'm going to end up with 4 doorstops because 10ft is the closest i'll ever be to the usb dongle Sad

- Kevo - 2011-10-01

I'm not having any problems with range. I sit about 10ft away.

Latest nightlies seem to have killed the info button for me.

Also is there anyway to stop the power button from putting the machine into standby?

Edit: someone mentioned separate play/pause on the sky+ remote. I've just put pause on the nyxboard. It pause /resumes fine. Real need for play, though I out it on skip forward anyway.

- mat____ - 2011-10-01

jhsrennie Wrote:453 (PR)

None of the other devs have shouted at me (yet), so this should be in Saturday's nightly build.

JR

I saw the pull request for this one, so I've installed git:20110930-2138fb0 and now I do see different entries in the logs when pressing keys but I cant seem to work out what to have in the keyboard.xml in order to get xbmc to perform an action on those keys.

Code:
12:16:50 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 00, sym: 0130, unicode: 0000, modifier: 0
12:16:50 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: leftshift (f0d2) pressed, action is
12:16:50 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 63, sym: 011c, unicode: f706, modifier: 1
12:16:50 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: shift-f3 (2f092) pressed, action is

12:16:53 T:2892505792   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 63, sym: 011c, unicode: f706, modifier: 0
12:16:53 T:2892505792   DEBUG: OnKey: f3 (f092) pressed, action is

in the xml, I've tried <f3 mod="shift"> and <shift-f3> and just <f3> but the defined actions dont execute.
Whats the syntax for defining an action based on the keycode rather than the name? The log shows shift-f3 as being (2f092) so am I better using that instead?

- jhsrennie - 2011-10-01

I've just tested with the following keyboard.xml:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f3>Notification(Keypress, F3, 3)</f3>
      <f3 mod="shift">Notification(Keypress, Shift-F3, 3)</f3>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

I've just installed the XBMCSetup-20110930-2138fb0-master.exe nightly and it worked as expected i.e. F3 popped up a message saying "F3" while shift-F3 popped up "Shift-F3".

JR

- mat____ - 2011-10-01

jhsrennie Wrote:I've just installed the XBMCSetup-20110930-2138fb0-master.exe nightly and it worked as expected i.e. F3 popped up a message saying "F3" while shift-F3 popped up "Shift-F3".

Curious. I've tried that exact code (cut/paste) and with the same build, there's no response, no message on screen, no action reported in the logs (it does log the press being received though)

JR, what OS are you using?

This remote is using the HID protocol (I assume) so any of the settings in XBMC referring to remotes (such as 'remote sends keypresses' etc) are not relevant I assume?

- Malard - 2011-10-02

mat____ what was your order number?

- Ned Scott - 2011-10-02

mat____ Wrote:That's not the answer I was hoping for! I'll try contacting a support address at Pulse-Eight, as their webpage states:

XBMC without the hassle
The first remote in the world designed for XBMC, work's straight out of the box; just connect the remote and all the keys will be instantly recognised.
Runs on almost everything
Out the box, the Nyxboard Hybrid will run on Windows, Mac, Apple TV's (First generation) and Linux.

(my emphasis)

All keys are being instantly recognized. The play button is functioning exactly how it should for Mac OS X 10.7. It's the same for every other play button on every other remote/keyboard.

Here's how to fix it: http://lifehacker.com/5651055/free-your-macs-media-keys-from-itunes-no-manual-hacking-required

- jhsrennie - 2011-10-02

mat____ Wrote:JR, what OS are you using?

I develop on Server 2008R2 and test on Win 7 and XP.

mat____ Wrote:This remote is using the HID protocol (I assume) so any of the settings in XBMC referring to remotes (such as 'remote sends keypresses' etc) are not relevant I assume?

Correct.

If the log shows a shift-F3 keypress but the action is blank that suggests XBMC isn't reading your keyboard.xml. Either there's an error in it or it's in the wrong place.

A thought: the Nyxboard uses it's own system keymap file, keyboard.nyxboard.xml, and I'm not sure whether it reads the userdata keyboard.xml or not. You could try changing the file to:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard name="Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid">
      <f3>Notification(Keypress, F3, 3)</f3>
      <f3 mod="shift">Notification(Keypress, Shift-F3, 3)</f3>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

and see if that makes any difference.

JR

- mat____ - 2011-10-02

Malard Wrote:mat____ what was your order number?
It was order 234

jhsrennie: I'll try that, it does seem like the file is being ignored.

Ned Scott: Point taken, however the blurb says it's designed for XBMC, so I would have thought it a fairly reasonable assumption to think that pressing the play button would mean play in XBMC, not launch itunes (or play it if already running)

The MMFix file you link to patches out the itunes launch functionality from rcd.app which stops the play button on the remote (and the mac keyboard) from launching itunes. However, if it's already running then itunes will still 'hear' the play command and start playing something.

I patch to rcd.app that would launch XBMC if play was pressed and which would pass the play/pause button to xbmc instead of itunes would be quite useful, unless apple have the sources available for the rcd binary, we may be out of luck on that one.

Besides, stop isn't working in either iTunes or XBMC.