Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- outleradam - 2011-10-06

^^ I read somewhere that the USB 2.0 standards have allowances for higher current then 1.1.

Malard Wrote:Investigations are still taking place in Motorola to find out what the actual issue is, but my post on the pulse-eight forums is a _known_ way to resolve it. Not the only way I am sure

I asked before.. But please, if you have a unit which is deemed defective, please send it my way. I'm sure Motorola will attempt to blame the users... Whereas if I get a device for teardown, I may be able identify and isolate the problem then make it known which will basically force the manufacturer to correct and possibly recall the device if a hardware problem is to blame... Not that this is ideal, but even still, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm responsible for several on-board modifications on various mobile devices. I will publish results if I can find any as I have in the following threads:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1206216

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1111866

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1065318

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1245391
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1288162

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1287780

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1273083

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1274999

Just saying... If you have a problem with a device, consider sending it my way for teardown. I will try to make sure we all learn from it.

- wolfbiker - 2011-10-06

i'll press a key (such as the arrow key scrolling through my movies, for instance) and nothing happens, then it does the key presses all at once. very annoying. any ideas why this does it? also how do switch to IR mode, because like everyone else i'm getting terrible range with it in RF mode. i mean, it might as well be in IR anyways, since the dongle has to be pointed directly at you for it to work in RF mode. i've switched back to my old (what i thought was a POS) MCE remote for now, and i gotta say, i appreciate it much more after using the nyxboard.

- SkItZo - 2011-10-06

japius Wrote:Anyone in Australia received theirs yet? The tracking numb just says it's been handed on for international deliver but that was on the 28/9.......seems to be taking forever

Hey mate. I'm still waiting on mine too. It was shipped on the 27th and the tracking number simply states that it is overseas (according to royal mail track & trace) is this also how you are tracking yours?
I'm in Perth so I am expecting it to take longer than usual

- japius - 2011-10-07

SkItZo Wrote:Hey mate. I'm still waiting on mine too. It was shipped on the 27th and the tracking number simply states that it is overseas (according to royal mail track & trace) is this also how you are tracking yours?
I'm in Perth so I am expecting it to take longer than usual

yeah just using the royal mail track and trace, which is unfortunately pointless for actually tracking or tracing Sad

Im not home yet so I am still hopeful that it will be waiting for me either at my door or at the local post office, wanted to play this weekend. otherwise it looks like yet another week of waiting has gone by

- japius - 2011-10-07

Nope Sad nothing at home, another weekend shall pass without the bloody remote

- Malard - 2011-10-07

Try using the same code on Australia Post's website, it will be valid as it moves from one carrier to the next

- neoflex - 2011-10-07

hi malard,
any news on the range problem? on the left arrow problem?

- Bram77 - 2011-10-07

How can I make xbmc use the keymap.xml file? I've placed it in ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keymap.xml but it seems to be ignored. I'm using this mapping to try to get the colored- and the home button working correctly, without success so far....
I'm using the latest pre-eden build on ubuntu 11.04.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard name="Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid">
      <f3 mod="shift">ContextMenu</f3>           <!-- RED     Context menu         -->
      <f4 mod="shift">FullScreen</f4>            <!-- GREEN   Display menu overlay -->
      <f5 mod="shift">ShowSubtitles</f5>         <!-- YELLOW  Subtitles            -->
      <f6 mod="shift">AudioNextLanguage</f6>     <!-- BLUE    Switch audio track   -->
      <home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>     <!-- MENU    Jump to main menu    -->
      <d mod="ctrl">Info</d>                     <!-- INFO    Info                 -->
      <f3>Pause</f3>                             <!-- EPG     Pause                -->
      <f4>Stop</f4>                              <!-- USER    Stop                 -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

- japius - 2011-10-07

Malard Wrote:Try using the same code on Australia Post's website, it will be valid as it moves from one carrier to the next

Nope, sorry, Australia post isnt that helpful unfortunately.........the site just comes up as "product not trackable".......which is better than not found I guess.

- jhsrennie - 2011-10-08

Bram77 Wrote:How can I make xbmc use the keymap.xml file? I've placed it in ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keymap.xml but it seems to be ignored. I'm using this mapping to try to get the colored- and the home button working correctly, without success so far...

Step 1 is to check the log to make sure the keyboard.xml is being loaded and you don't have an error in the XML.

Step 2 is to press your required button the look at ~/.xbmc/.temp/xbmc.log to see what keypress XBMC is detecting - you need to enable debug logging to see the keypress logs.

Step 3, if you're still having problems, is to use entries like:

<somekey>Notification(Keypress, You pressed somekey, 2)</somekey>

to pop up a little message confirming that at least you got the key name right.

JR

- Teknologist - 2011-10-08

Bram77 Wrote:How can I make xbmc use the keymap.xml file? I've placed it in ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keymap.xml but it seems to be ignored. I'm using this mapping to try to get the colored- and the home button working correctly, without success so far....
I'm using the latest pre-eden build on ubuntu 11.04.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard name="Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid">
      <f3 mod="shift">ContextMenu</f3>           <!-- RED     Context menu         -->
      <f4 mod="shift">FullScreen</f4>            <!-- GREEN   Display menu overlay -->
      <f5 mod="shift">ShowSubtitles</f5>         <!-- YELLOW  Subtitles            -->
      <f6 mod="shift">AudioNextLanguage</f6>     <!-- BLUE    Switch audio track   -->
      <home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>     <!-- MENU    Jump to main menu    -->
      <d mod="ctrl">Info</d>                     <!-- INFO    Info                 -->
      <f3>Pause</f3>                             <!-- EPG     Pause                -->
      <f4>Stop</f4>                              <!-- USER    Stop                 -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Got exactly same problem here...let me know if you fix it please...

Debug log shows key press is OK but binds it to mapping in default keymap.xml (IE HOME->FirstPage instead of Home->XBMCActivate Home)

weird...I even have tried as a last resort to replace the default /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keymap.xml with the nyxboard.keymap to see and it still triggers "FirstPage" action...
very weird.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and latest pre-Eden SVN build....(as of today)

BTW, I don't understand how a remote specially made for XBMC would not have a MENU button to trigger context menu...so weird...even my Harmony one has it...

- Bram77 - 2011-10-08

Seconden that.... I'm a little disapointed.

Solved - Teknologist - 2011-10-08

Teknologist Wrote:Got exactly same problem here...let me know if you fix it please...

Debug log shows key press is OK but binds it to mapping in default keymap.xml (IE HOME->FirstPage instead of Home->XBMCActivate Home)

weird...I even have tried as a last resort to replace the default /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keymap.xml with the nyxboard.keymap to see and it still triggers "FirstPage" action...
very weird.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and latest pre-Eden SVN build....(as of today)

BTW, I don't understand how a remote specially made for XBMC would not have a MENU button to trigger context menu...so weird...even my Harmony one has it...

Okay. I found the reason and a workaround...

1) The reason:
The keymap.nyxboard.xml (add any user data keymap.xml posted here) refers to a remote name="Motorola Nyxboard hybrid"

If I do a cat /proc/input/devices on my Ubuntu box I have this output regarding Nyxboard:

Code:
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=22b8 Product=003b Version=0111
N: Name="Motorola Motorola NYXboard, 2.4GHz device"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.7-5.6/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-5/2-5.6/2-5.6:1.0/input/input20
U: Uniq=??????????
H: Handlers=sysrq kbd event6
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=e080ffdf01cfffff fffffffffffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=1f

P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.7-5.6/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-5/2-5.6/2-5.6:1.1/input/input21
H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 event7
B: EV=17
B: KEY=1f0000 0 838c0000000 c000000000000 0
B: REL=143

P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.7-5.6/input2
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-5/2-5.6/2-5.6:1.2/input/input22
H: Handlers=sysrq kbd event8
B: EV=100013
B: KEY=c0000 40000000000 0 50000 11781801d000 e09effdf01cfffff fffffffffffffffe

Notice the name of the remote is Name="Motorola Motorola NYXboard, 2.4GHz device" which doesn't correspond to the name in the keycaps .xml files...

I am pretty sure the problem comes from this. Therefore XBMC uses the default keymap.xml and doesn't process the nyxboard.xml...

2) The workaround:

I use a default keymap.xml file in user data and remove any name="Motorola Nyxboard hybrid" from it.

As a result I have this:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard >
      <f3>ContextMenu</f3>                             <!-- EPG     Pause                -->
      <f4>ContextMenu</f4>                              <!-- USER    Stop                 -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

And it works perfectly.

Than, to get the full bundled mapping working, I copied the bundled keymap.nyxboard.xml to my user data keymaps dir, added the customs buttons from above and remove any name="Motorola Nyxboard hybrid" from it.

DONE! It works like a charm!

Hope this will be either fixed in future pre-eden builds or name of device canned to the right one in a further firmware update for the remote.

Also hope this helps any other frustrated users out there...

Makes me wonder about the "Out of the box" mention on the pulse-eight page...

- Bram77 - 2011-10-08

Works like a charm! Thanks a lot!

- outleradam - 2011-10-09

After using this for a bit, I'd like to speak about ergonomics...

I think most people hold the remote in their right hand. In order to use the keyboard, it takes at least 3 steps. You must flip it over, rotate it 180 degrees and then grab it with the other hand. If the keyboard were rotated 180 degrees, then it would be appropriate. Currently, this is a left-handed remote.

Now, for use....
I'd like to have a shortcut to "full-screen" ie the TAB button on the top of the remote. This allows for easy switching between menus and the currently playing show.