Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- Malard - 2011-11-04

a5ian300zx Wrote:has anyone compared the keyboard to the Logitech Dinovo mini? also can this keyboard be used for windows i.e. internet explorer etc.?

is the remote based on ir signal, why not use bluetooth technology or wifi for better accuracy?

a5ian300zx

It is an RF remote, there is a fault affecting some users in the dongle, and that is being worked on.

- Malard - 2011-11-04

isamudaison Wrote:Finally got around to installing mine and *yikes* the range is terrible. Not only that it's inconsistently terrible. Sometimes I can use it just fine from several meters away and then it will just 'lose' its connection. I assume the corrected dongle will fix this. What about the issue where the remote will suddenly issue multiple commands from a single button press. Will that be fixed by the dongle? It's hard to tell if I have the 'left-click' problem because the range is so flaky, so I can't tell if it's just not picking up the button press, or the signal isn't getting to the receiver.
I guess it's back to the trusty harmony one + iogear wireless keyboard Sad

Replacement dongle will cure this we hope. I have meeting tomorrow and will know more after.

- tullm - 2011-11-04

Hi,

just received my remote 2 days ago. Had not much time to play around with it, but here are my thoughts:

+ great touch&feel
+ all keys are working as expected and out of the box
+ learning from IR remote worked great

- I´m also affected by the range issue. Plugged the receiver in the back of my htpc (win7 64bit) and within 3m range i had problems. Sometimes I had to press twice to register the button or there were multiple reactions by one press. i plugged the receiver in the front of the htpc and these problems were gone. I´m now trying it with an usb extender cable.
- If I´m in IR Mode I have to press multiple times on the Volume Button to go louder, because it registers just on press if I push and hold the button. In RF mode I can push&hold to go up all the way. Is this normal? To go from -35db to -25db I have to press 10x the volume Button in IR Mode?!
- Keyboard shoud be rotated by 180degrees because that would be the normal flip behavior for right handed people I think.

All in all a great remote, but with room left to be better (backlid, f-keys, alt key and so on).

regards

tullm

- Bram77 - 2011-11-04

Received my replacement today. No more left click issues Big Grin! The range issue persist, but it seems like that will be solved with a replacement dongle, which would be great. At least I can use the remote now!

Does anyone else have the problem that in keyboard mode some letters are send twice every few entries? Does anyone know how to solve this?

- Malard - 2011-11-05

Bram77 Wrote:Received my replacement today. No more left click issues Big Grin! The range issue persist, but it seems like that will be solved with a replacement dongle, which would be great. At least I can use the remote now!

Does anyone else have the problem that in keyboard mode some letters are send twice every few entries? Does anyone know how to solve this?

That is the range bug showing itself, do you have a small usb extension cable you can connect the dongle too?

- Bram77 - 2011-11-05

I've already plugged my dongle into a powered USB hub (it has a adapter plugged into the wall) that's placed in the most ideal place possible. Directly in sight and as close as possible. I have to sit forward on my couch a bit to get proper response from the remote (about 2 meters from the dongle). I don't think there is anything else I can do to improve it's range.

Thanks for confirming that it's the range issue that's causing the keyboard 'problem'. It's a bit annoying but no showstopper Smile. I'm very happy to have the replacement. I still love it. It really is a great design and the IR remote functionality is a very nice addition to a already great remote. Apart from (still) being a bit critical about the range issue I'd also like to make a compliment about the button layout (does not take a lot of getting used to), the material choices and the simplicity. It has the same feel as the HTC here, which was a bit cunningly designed but in the end almost perfectly designed phone in it's size-range.

Let's hope the build quality will prove itself too. If so; with the range issue fixed; I think you can sell a lot of them! After all I've used my MS MCE remote for over 6 years and would buy another one of it broke and this remote wouldn't pop up. I'm kind of a gadget freak, I always want the newest and I'm willing to experiment, but not with my remotes. These have to feel intuitive and keep working every day for a long time. One of the few things I don't want to change Smile

- SkItZo - 2011-11-07

Got my replacement a few days ago, worked fine to start with but has developed the left click issue again. Shame....

- a5ian300zx - 2011-11-07

Hi,

I waiting for all the issues to be resolved before I order one.

at the moment i am waiting for my new harmony 700 remote as i have 6 devices that need to controlled from Harmony 650.

a5ian300zx

- touser - 2011-11-10

Malard Wrote:Replacement dongle will cure this we hope. I have meeting tomorrow and will know more after.

I'm curious what came of the meeting? Is a fix on the way? I have 4 of these and they're all door stops at the moment Sad

- Malard - 2011-11-10

touser Wrote:I'm curious what came of the meeting? Is a fix on the way? I have 4 of these and they're all door stops at the moment Sad

The left click issue is resolved, and new units shipped to us we are told will not have this issue. with regards to range, investigations continue, we were sent a sample that did not resolve it fully and we continue to feed back to them

- touser - 2011-11-10

Malard Wrote:The left click issue is resolved, and new units shipped to us we are told will not have this issue. with regards to range, investigations continue, we were sent a sample that did not resolve it fully and we continue to feed back to them

Glad it's still being worked on, i've been holding off on the rma process until everything is resolved.

- touser - 2011-11-12

Does anyone know how to get the volume buttons working in the latest nightly windows builds? They seem to work fine on openelec pre-eden from a few days ago but they do nothing on windows pre-eden.

- Bram77 - 2011-11-12

Could it be the battery is draining very fast? The range issue becomes worse and worse every day on my replacement. Also, I need to switch the dongle to a different USB port every few days because it's not receiving anything. Once switched it starts working again.

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-12

touser Wrote:Does anyone know how to get the volume buttons working in the latest nightly windows builds? They seem to work fine on openelec pre-eden from a few days ago but they do nothing on windows pre-eden.

On Windows the volume buttons will change the system volume not the XBMC volume. If you're using Windows you can create a custom appcommand.xml file to map the volume buttons to the XBMC volume. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\appcommand.xml"

Click OK and answer Yes when Notepad prompts you to create a new file. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_down>volumedown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>volumeup</volume_up>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

Close Notepad and save the changes. Now the Nyxboard volume buttons will control the XBMC volume not the Windows volume.

JR

- a5ian300zx - 2011-11-12

Hi

can this remote be programmed into Harmony i.e manual programming maybe?

because some key buttons dont match with imon, I thinking of using the imon display and the power toggle and program everything else to the Motorola remote using the learn command function adding any missing commands i.e. back button.

a5ian300zx