Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- steve1977 - 2010-10-31

GinSoakedBoy Wrote:This doesn't need a jailbroken iPad. It's not on the iTunes store yet because it's in beta test. The testers have already been sent the RC so it should be ready for the app store pretty soon.

So, no way to get it anymore before it hits the app store? I.e., no way to get it today?

- GinSoakedBoy - 2010-10-31

steve1977 Wrote:So, no way to get it anymore before it hits the app store? I.e., no way to get it today?

Have some patience. Bear in mind this is by FAR the best XBMC remote app out there and grywnn the developer has improved it loads since the first beta release and has added a lot of features at the request of people here.

It'll be on the app store soon enough.

- steve1977 - 2010-10-31

GinSoakedBoy Wrote:Have some patience. Bear in mind this is by FAR the best XBMC remote app out there and grywnn the developer has improved it loads since the first beta release and has added a lot of features at the request of people here.

It'll be on the app store soon enough.

Got it, this is great. Will patiently wait. Believe it or not, I bought the ipad on day-1 only because I believe it makes the perfect remote for XBMC. Was so disappointed that the ones out have been miserable and/or not working at all...

Anyhow, thanks for your quick replies and will wait until it hits the app store.

- Zero1 - 2010-10-31

Latest version of XBMC Commander is brilliant - fixes all of the issues i've had with it previously. Even fixed the music-library-not-showing issue (or maybe that was upgrading to Dharma beta4)...

One (potential) issue:

Apple are very finicky about use of their icons in apps: Their context must represent what apple designed them for.

Clicking the options button at the top right brings up a dialog to add servers, etc. I see the edit button here as a potential problem, as I believe Apple's designation for this icon is 'compose' rather than edit. Just a small thing though - they might not care Wink.

Also the first time you click the Options button the menu loads slightly off to the left (the tip of the point is a few pixels to the left of the very left of the button). Closing popup and clicking it again seems to resolve the issue.

I've been having issues after using the Remote - it works great but XBMC seems to start doing... strange things after use. I think this is probably XBMC's API thats causing that rather than XBMC Commander.

- grywnn - 2010-11-01

I've been busy this WE doing other things. (like: Enjoying the wonderful weather; drinking heavily yesterday evening...)

A few notes / changes in the final release, which will be available pretty soon:

- I've changed the caching of thumbnails from jpeg to png. This will make the cache a little bigger, but supports transparency.

Quote:Apple are very finicky about use of their icons in apps: Their context must represent what apple designed them for.

Clicking the options button at the top right brings up a dialog to add servers, etc. I see the edit button here as a potential problem, as I believe Apple's designation for this icon is 'compose' rather than edit. Just a small thing though - they might not care .

Also the first time you click the Options button the menu loads slightly off to the left (the tip of the point is a few pixels to the left of the very left of the button). Closing popup and clicking it again seems to resolve the issue.
- Menu placements has been fixed.
- I share your concerns about the icon, but i'll just give it a try. Can still exchange it easily if apple objects.

Quote:I've been having issues after using the Remote - it works great but XBMC seems to start doing... strange things after use. I think this is probably XBMC's API thats causing that rather than XBMC Commander.
Yeah i hope apple doesn't reject the app because its targeted for a BETA release of XBMC only. Maybe i should wait for dharma final... should be out rather soon...?

Quote:while playing any video, I press fast forward and the app crashes
Hmmm, couldn't reproduce this. Code looks OK to me. All i'm doing is sending a "." key to XBMC. I'll file this under "strange things happen sometimes" for now.

Quote:cursor and ok/back buttons to complement suplement swipe, tap and two finger tap gestures - specially this last one is not that accurate! And cursors are not present in iPad default keyboard.
Gona drop this for the first release, maybe in a future release.

Quote:omg, i have read an specific article again and you are right, safari opens the vlc automaticly but not the app self.
But perhaps this could be a suloution, open a stream url with safari and safari will open vlc.
here is the german article:
http://www.iphone-ticker.de/2010/10/...s-mit-dem-vlc/
Now that's a really valuable hint.
I've tried it with imdb links (another feature i'm working on), works great.
I'm gone wait for iOS 4.2 to hit the iPad before i add imdb / trailer links tough, cause XBMC commander terminates once Safari launches and theres no (easy) way of getting back to the point where you left. But it will be perfectly easy with multitasking.

One more thing:
Virtual keyboard will be missing in the first appstore release.
This just doesn't work too well in my test environments. My problems are related to the old http api not mapping the keys as i expect. I'm going to wait till this feature is available though the JSON api and re-add the keyboard then.

- Zero1 - 2010-11-02

grywnn Wrote:I'm gone wait for iOS 4.2 to hit the iPad before i add imdb / trailer links tough, cause XBMC commander terminates once Safari launches and theres no (easy) way of getting back to the point where you left. But it will be perfectly easy with multitasking.

Won't need to wait long, iOS 4.2 GM Seed (8C134) is now available so its only a matter of time now :-).

- User 34470 - 2010-11-02

How can i get my hands on this app? I don't see it on the apple store.

- zepfan - 2010-11-02

MonkeyRoach Wrote:How can i get my hands on this app? I don't see it on the apple store.

Read the tread it's in testing now. I don't know if he's still taking testers.

- grywnn - 2010-11-02

Zepfan is right, beta testing is closed for now.
I'm doing some polishing up, start designing a small website for the app, and will submit it to the iTunes store these days.

- gricks - 2010-11-09

Ok, i am dying to see this thing. Give us a heads up when you submit it, and do you know how you plan to price it?

- adam h - 2010-11-09

I am also really excited about this app. Any more info would be great! Tentative release date? Cost?

High fives for your efforts!

- grywnn - 2010-11-09

Hi folks,

i've submitted the app to iTunes connect exactly one week ago.
The status hasn't changed from "Waiting for review" since then. Apparently apple has got a lot to do with the new mac os appstore and the upcoming iOS 4.2...
But i expect it to be a matter of days from now (as long as it's not rejected...).

Pricing will be tier 4, that is € 2.99 / $ 3.99.

Apart from being offline due to a bad cold for a few days, i've been busy creating a support site for the app in the meantime - check it out: www.xbmc-commander.com

- GinSoakedBoy - 2010-11-09

Nice work with the website. I'll definitely be buying this when it hits the App Store.

- m4t42 - 2010-11-09

Me too ! It looks great - maybe I'll be able to ditch my rather worn MCE remote Smile

very cool - morrosov - 2010-11-09

this app looks so great - I will also definitely buy it....
Is it possible to add web radio support?