Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2010-11-26

brownstein Wrote:Cannot find the alternate layout in beta 1.3, have tried deleting and reinstalling and cannot seem to find this option anywhere?
Check out the system settings on the ipad, xbmc commander should now have an entry there.

- grywnn - 2010-11-26

Hi Johnny, feedback is always appreciated Smile

johnny utah Wrote:-the remote feels a bit buggy when scrolling with two fingers it's hard to get much movement with one swipe across the screen or get any inertia on the XBMC screen.
Would be great if there was a way to click left or right (like a keyboard) to have more control over how fast one could scroll horizontally.
I found it quite hard to keep the balance between precision (ie being able to stop scrolling at the right entry) and speed. Right now i generate a keyboard event for every ~50 pixel you move on the ipad.
Idea:
I could decrease this continuously while scrolling, so scrolling gets faster the further you scroll (until you release and start anew)

Quote:Views:
-For Movies - love the current view. Any chance you could consider adding a list view including the cover so you can also read the movie titles, similar to the view in the HD Remote app? Same for music. See here: http://ipad.diqiu.me/
I just finished an alternate layout thats kinda like the bookshelf, just without all the artwork.
Clean thumbnails, black background, title and rating under each thumb.

Wait, i'll add a screenshot...

...here you go

Quote:-Would be great to get an letter list to flip to that section of the library quickly.
Tried it, didn't work well, especially not in conjunction with the bookshelf layout or when sorting by year.

Quote:-The flipping is a cool effect, but would be awesome if you could consider expanding the view when it flips to show the poster on one side of the screen and the description + play button on the other, just like the view on the Apple Movie section...I think it would be easier to read long descriptions and press the play button if bigger:
Apple view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51790290@N03/4767706241/
Don't know, maybe with a different overall layout.

Quote:-If you could please consider adding a "more info" button on the back of the movie covers so the when it's clicked it would show the "more info" screen on the TV as well...would be awesome in place of the Apple type view on the iPad! =)
I like that one, could happen Wink

Quote:-Also the volume bar on the bottom has a delay after you use the slider...it doesn't move until 1 or 2 seconds later even though the volum has already changed.
Yep.
I'll definitely do something about this.

Quote:-Would be awesome if there a way to add a button shortcut (optional) for each of the areas in XBMC (ie. movies, pictures, music, weather) so that the screen would open that library without having to go back to the main screen.
You'll be able to add custom buttons that execute XBMC builtins in the next release, although i've only added builtins without parameter yet (what you think of would require a ActivateWindow(10005) for music for example).
But there will be the ability to add generic http commands, so you could add a http://<yourxbmcip>/xbmcHttp?command=ActivateWindow(10005)

Quote: -something I found a bit strange is that there's about 3 or 4 different fonts used throughout the app.
Got me there, i'm kind of a font addict. Will have to revision this, since you're absolutely right: It's a little too much Smile

Quote:-not sure if this is a bug, but the shutdown button didn't work for me at all
This just sends an "s" to XBMC, which with the standard keyboard layout should open the shutdown menu.

Quote:-also tried to connect after my mac mini was put to sleep and didn't work
Sounds like wake on lan is required, which is rising higher and higher on my todo list Smile

Quote:By the way, if you are interested in adding Spanish to the app languages down the line let me know...I can help.
I'll get back to that one Big Grin

- mastermischke - 2010-11-26

brownstein Wrote:Cannot find the alternate layout in beta 1.3, have tried deleting and reinstalling and cannot seem to find this option anywhere?

I have to agree with that point

- grywnn - 2010-11-26

mastermischke Wrote:I have to agree with that point

Again, check out the system settings on the ipad, xbmc commander should now have an entry there Smile

- R_N_B - 2010-11-26

R_N_B Wrote:Thanks mate will try that again - I thought I had done that once before but obviously not. Oo

edit: As strange as it seems the app works fine on the RC1 that I have just installed on another machine but refuses to see the other which it did before??

Can only assume that son has been messing around with the XBMC again (budding coder Smile it seems) so I will wait for them to get back from school and then let them sort their own mess out.

Just to repeat - error is on the XBMC side and not the app at all.

Just a small follow up. And to reiterate that the app was perfect and the problem was on my side.

The app is all good and working perfectly again. My son did make some changes to the whole system one of which removed the permissions on our firewall that allowed for the app to communicate with the PC.

- Bkam - 2010-11-26

I like the new layout but 2 things , possibly to skip the rating stars and perhaps a light grey color , becouse your screen shoot is really dark (but perhaps it look better irl Smile )

- theotocopulitos - 2010-11-26

I am trying beta 1.3 with Dharma RC1... everythin ok so far, but

1) I really miss the iPad keyboard

2) How can I access the alternative layout?

Thanks

- clipper99 - 2010-11-26

I love that new layout for movies a few posts back grywnn, it really takes advantage of the iPad's real estate. I look forward to having it myself.

I really wanted to say that this is by FAR, and I can't emphasize that point enough, the best remote app for the iPad and XBMC I have. I've purchased them all and they all sit in virtual dust in my iTunes library. Rolleyes

I do believe this is the holy grail I've been looking for.

Thank you grywnn!

- [FrEEzEr] - 2010-11-27

By Far the best xbmc remote for iPad! The only thing I'm missing is a wake up on LAN functionality. Please add it so I can control my HTPC using one app (waf factor!)

- fufubar - 2010-11-27

It´s really the best remote app! But it does not work anymore since my upgrade to iOS 4.2.1: Commander seems to connect successfully to the Media Server, but XBMC does not react to any gestures or controls, and it does not load the Movies, TV Shows etc...

I´m using Dharma beta 1 on a Win 7 64bit System. It worked before, the only thing I´ve changed is the iOS. I have tried re-installing, but to no avail. Any idea what I´m doing wrong?

- clipper99 - 2010-11-27

fufubar Wrote:It´s really the best remote app! But it does not work anymore since my upgrade to iOS 4.2.1: Commander seems to connect successfully to the Media Server, but XBMC does not react to any gestures or controls, and it does not load the Movies, TV Shows etc...

I´m using Dharma beta 1 on a Win 7 64bit System. It worked before, the only thing I´ve changed is the iOS. I have tried re-installing, but to no avail. Any idea what I´m doing wrong?

Have you tried resetting the iPad? I have pretty much an identical setup as you and it runs fine so it's not an iOS issue. It sounds like something else has changed other that the iOS upgrade. Maybe you've latched onto a neighbors unsecure network? Big Grin

- fufubar - 2010-11-27

clipper99 Wrote:Have you tried resetting the iPad? I have pretty much an identical setup as you and it runs fine so it's not an iOS issue. It sounds like something else has changed other that the iOS upgrade. Maybe you've latched onto a neighbors unsecure network? Big Grin

Well I am logged in the correct network, I´m positive about that Wink (other apps, accessing the same system, like VNC, are working fine). Just updated to Dharma RC1, still no result. I´m really getting crazy here.

- clipper99 - 2010-11-27

You've tried deleting the XBMC server you created in Commander and set up an entirely new one? That is a head scratcher for sure! All the settings under network in XBMC allow external programs to control it? The user name is case sensitive too so make sure the iPad isn't auto-capitalizing the first letter! That threw me off in another program for about 10 minutes a couple weeks back.

Good luck and report back....i'm curious now to see how you make out.

Cheers

- fufubar - 2010-11-27

Well I have found the solution: I changed the used xbmc-port (and no, it was not 9090), and now everything is fine again. So probably the old port is occopied, even though I have no idea why switching to iOS 4.2.1 on the ipad would use up a port on my system Huh (because I really have nothing changed there), but I won´t complain: Everything is working again Laugh

@clipper99: Thanks anyway for your help.

@grywnn: Great app!

While I am at it, here is another feature suggestion (I´ve read the last 10 pages of the threat and did not find it):
I´d love to be able to directly manipulate the "progressbar" of a running movie, so that it would be possible to jump to certain point rather than fast-forwarding to it by two-finger swiping. "HD Remote" does a good job implementing that, but don´t worry: other than that your app is far superior to HD Remote.
Schonmal Danke für die Mühe.

- clipper99 - 2010-11-27

fufubar Wrote:I´d love to be able to directly manipulate the "progressbar" of a running movie, so that it would be possible to jump to certain point rather than fast-forwarding to it by two-finger swiping.

I'll second that request.