Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2011-02-24

thesilentype Wrote:When using xbmc command I receive timeouts every time i close and reopen the application, the only workaround to fix the timeout is to disable and re enabel my ipad's wifi. Since this fixes the problem I suppose it's not my xbmc server that's causing this issue. Any idea's? Might it be in common with the xbmc plugin virtual keyboard handling?

Xbmc commander also frequently crashes when playing DVD's.

XBMCs internal webserver is single threaded, meaning that it can only serve one request at a time. So if a requests "hangs", all further requests will time out.
This was the problem with the keyboard in addons, and i'd guess something like this is the problem here too. Resetting the iPads wifi simply kills the hanging request, allowing xbmc to respond again.
Big question is: What is blocking the webserver?
- what ios version are you running? (aka is it multitasking or not)
- do you have any uncommon addons running?

As to the DVD crashes:
Are you doing anything when it crashes (like navigating through dvd menus)?
Or does it crash while displaying on the remote control screen?

@Omni:
love your mockups, gonna play with this. Got some crazy ideas in my head already Cool

Sort Options - dibsta - 2011-02-24

Hi is it possible to add ( sort by title ) to the sorting options
Cheers

- Gotcha007 - 2011-02-25

Since the last version of the remote my Bookshelf view is now with Cover and not anymore with Banners. What do I have to do the have it back with banners?

- grywnn - 2011-02-25

OK you convinced me, banner / poster autodetection doesn't seem to be working reliably Smile
I'll revert to the switch in the server settings.
Unfortunately i'm right in the middle of improving the whole thumbnail loading code, this will need some testing first... but expect an update soon.

btw:
In XBMC, check the thumbnail of the first tv show (alphabetical first, by sortorder). That's the one i use to determine whether i show posters or banners. If this is missing / corrupted / wrong size, tv show view will choose the wrong layout.

- clipper99 - 2011-02-26

grywnn:

I absolutely LOVE the new small thumbnail view! Perfect!

Cheers

- Slipx - 2011-02-26

GaiusOmnibus Wrote:I would prefer if the info of a choosen movie would open up a new fullscreen window , would leave room for more information + fanart just like this.

The app (HD Remote) isn't very good making more and more problems but I love this view ;-)

greetings
Omni

I've also suugested that we add media flags for video and audio. Would work nicely with this view

- fufubar - 2011-02-26

Hi,

I am happy too see how much features are added to the Commander, and I am still using it heavily Wink

The only thing thats still bugging me:
When you start music via XBMCCommander it doesn't show fanart, like it does by choosing it directly in the XBMC menues. I am using Transparency! skin, which relies heavily on fanart (it might be a skin specific problem?).

I really wonder what difference is for XBMC between lunching songs with integrated menu and from HTTPRequest...

I already posted this issue a few weeks back. I understand, that this might be a very specific problem with no high priority, but still: If you can look into it, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks.

- steve1977 - 2011-02-27

grywnn Wrote:Just had a brilliant idea how to do this, will add it.

Very great, thanks! Any thoughts when the offline mode will see the appstore?

- mastermischke - 2011-02-27

GaiusOmnibus Wrote:I would prefer if the info of a choosen movie would open up a new fullscreen window , would leave room for more information + fanart just like this.

The app (HD Remote) isn't very good making more and more problems but I love this view ;-)

greetings
Omni

+1 Smile

- icaruscollapse - 2011-02-27

Is there any way to disable the "NEW" and "WATCHED" flags in this? Aside from that, this app is flawless for me.

- meridius - 2011-02-27

Hi there, love the looks of this app and going to buy it instead of getting a wireless keyboard.

The only problem is I don't own an iPad as I put it on hold as the new iPad 2 is out soon, just hope it works just as well or even better on the iPad 2

Just wondering are u getting an iPad 2 to test this as it should have double the memory and a dual core.

Will buy this when I get my iPad 2

- grywnn - 2011-02-28

Quote:When you start music via XBMCCommander it doesn't show fanart, like it does by choosing it directly in the XBMC menues. I am using Transparency! skin, which relies heavily on fanart (it might be a skin specific problem?).
No idea really.
I'm starting all playback by giving item-ids to the designated json commands, so i'd guess it must have something to do with how xbmc handles this.
Nothing much i can do about it on the apps side, i'm afraid.

Quote:Is there any way to disable the "NEW" and "WATCHED" flags in this? Aside from that, this app is flawless for me.
Have a look in the ipads system settings app.

Quote:The only problem is I don't own an iPad as I put it on hold as the new iPad 2 is out soon, just hope it works just as well or even better on the iPad 2
Just wondering are u getting an iPad 2 to test this as it should have double the memory and a dual core.

Don't see any reason why it shouldn't.
Don't know yet if i will get one, since this will be quite some investment.
Although... my wife would surely LOVE inheriting the old one Smile

@All:
Fanart views are currently in testing. Needs some polishing though.
I'll push another update to apple today, mainly because i've found and removed a real big memory consumer and improved thumbnail handling a lot.
So you should see another update in a few days, featuring improved performance, and precaching for offline viewing.

- fufubar - 2011-03-01

grywnn Wrote:I'm starting all playback by giving item-ids to the designated json commands, so i'd guess it must have something to do with how xbmc handles this.
Nothing much i can do about it on the apps side, i'm afraid.

Hmm, help me understand this a little bit. So you keep app-side playlists, and when an item is due, it runs the corresponding JSON command for playback? (This might be completely wrong and you probably talked about this already at some point... Sorry didn't read all the 60 pages of the thread Rolleyes)
And if so, wouldn't it be a more straight forward way to create the playlists XBMC-side (even though harder to implement), thus also allowing for list reordering and saving?
Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting to change your whole architecture, I'm just trying to understand it better.

Again: Sorry if you explained this already, you can just point me to the post if you can find it quickly, otherwise just ignore me Rofl

Best,
fufubar

- grywnn - 2011-03-01

fufubar Wrote:...
Again: Sorry if you explained this already, you can just point me to the post if you can find it quickly, otherwise just ignore me Rofl
Don't worry, i didn't Smile
No, i don't keep an app side playlist. Wouldn't make much sense, since playback would stop once the app goes offline, or you add an item by some other means.

To add items to the playlist i'm using the JSON command AudioPlaylist.Add(), to start the playback XBMC.Play().
What i was talking about earlier: You can either use the filename to add an item to a playlist, or use the database id.
If one is using the filename, XBMC knows nothing about the metadata like fanart. If you add it by database id, it should know about it.

I've given this some quick testing (tech talk following):
When playing some music via keyboard, the fanart reference correctly appears when i do a AudioPlaylist.getItems as well as when i do a {"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "System.getInfoLabels", "params": ["MusicPlayer.Property(Fanart_Image)"], "id": "1"}.
When i use JSON to playback something, fanart info is missing on the later command.
This is clearly a bug with XBMC, i'l post it on the developer subforum.

- meridius - 2011-03-01

Hi

Just woundering does the ipad remote wake up the pc when it's in sleep mode.

Cheers