Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- nilzen - 2011-04-06

toxotis70 Wrote:is it possible to make movies presents like coverflow in itunes library in mac osx ?

Short answer: No.

Right now that's not possible since there is no way to scale/resize the images recieved from xbmc and the iPad can't handle all the large images in a coverflow (if you have a lot of movies), but there's a pull request on Github for that functionality so hopefully it will be merged and then we can get that functionality into the app.

Btw, since all the images are cached, isn't it possible to scale them down on the ipad/iphone and cache the downsized image?

- toxotis70 - 2011-04-06

There is another app , called xbmc remote , http://www.netwalkapps.com/app/xbmc-remote-hd
that can do that, but i dont like it much.
I bought this app too, its very nice , but limited... it has no tv shows - music - photo capability!

- grywnn - 2011-04-06

nilzen Wrote:Btw, since all the images are cached, isn't it possible to scale them down on the ipad/iphone and cache the downsized image?
Thats exactly what i'm doing, therefore the answer to the coverflow question is actually: Yes, it's theoretically possible.
When i started writing this app, i first tried to do a coverflow solution based on an open source coverflow library for iOS called openFlow (apples own implementation is private, causing apps that use it to get rejected). There are still some youtube videos around showing that one.
But as it goes, i had to make more and more modifications to the original openFlow implementation, until i reached the point where i started to run into problems that could only be solved by doing the whole thing again from scratch.
Since i was learning objC back then and doing a complete coverlow implementation was a little off limits for me, i then started the table based attempt that the app is based on now.

Long story short:
After what i've learned while developing this baby, i think i would now be able to do a coverflow based app. Including scaling and caching mechanisms (which are a problem in the table based layouts too).
But for now i'm stuck with the tables - adding a coverflow based layout would require major rewriting of pretty basic code.
While theoretically possible, i'd rather focus on adding missing features like music videos and a better youtube integration (still on my todo list Smile)

- grywnn - 2011-04-06

btw i'm very much looking forward to server side image scaling. This will make picture slideshows on the ipad possible, and will improve download performance A LOT.

- toxotis70 - 2011-04-06

Ok, thanks for the quick answer.
Just, dont give up the try to make it better and faster ....

- mjoshi123 - 2011-04-07

Okay count me as a newbie on this whole XBMC platform. I've got iPad and running latest build on XBMC on my Windows 7 HTPC. Will this app allow me to use my iPad to use XBMC ? Also do I need any special hardware on my HTPC ? At present my iPad is only synced up with my MacBook. How will iPad communicated with my windows 7 machine ?

- rolapinou - 2011-04-07

mjoshi123 Wrote:Okay count me as a newbie on this whole XBMC platform. I've got iPad and running latest build on XBMC on my Windows 7 HTPC. Will this app allow me to use my iPad to use XBMC ? Also do I need any special hardware on my HTPC ? At present my iPad is only synced up with my MacBook. How will iPad communicated with my windows 7 machine ?

See your iPad as a remote for the XBMC that is installed on your HTPC.
The communication is done through your wifi network, so you have to allow distant control of XBMC in XBMC's settings as explained on the webpage of the app.
Very nice and easy.

- meridius - 2011-04-08

Hi all

Can u use this remote with an apple tv with xbmc installed on
It

Thanks

- mastermischke - 2011-04-08

meridius Wrote:Hi all

It

Thanks

1. no only with an android device Oo

2. read the first pages of this thread before asking those kind of questions 0o

- grywnn - 2011-04-08

meridius Wrote:Hi all

It

Thanks

You can, but you'll have to activate the "atv workaround" in the ipads system settings after installing. Otherwise the gestures won't work, since the eventserver on iOS isn't working yet.
Yout won't be able to navigate the atv main menu though, only within xbmc.

- meridius - 2011-04-08

@mastermischke what u on about those questions ? I don't think you even
Know what my question was judging by your response.

- meridius - 2011-04-08

grywnn Wrote:You can, but you'll have to activate the "atv workaround" in the ipads system settings after installing. Otherwise the gestures won't work, since the eventserver on iOS isn't working yet.
Yout won't be able to navigate the atv main menu though, only within xbmc.

Cheers, i just dont know if i should by an apple tv for the front end as i am trying to find a good front end to run my server as I have a ps3 and going to sell it and use your xbmc remote on the ipad when i get one with a front end that can handle xbmc but what to use in it's place

what do you use or your setup

Cheers for the responce and help

- meridius - 2011-04-09

Could you help on a couple of problems.

Problem 1

when i get a new info on a show i just added but only has 1 season the poster art does not work ? On TVDB there is no poster season picture for the show so i made my own and placed it in the season 1 folder like i do with all my shows.

it seems that if there is no folder art on TVDB and you add your own the iphone or ipad does not display the poster cover for that season.

also the same for thumbs if there is none on TVDB and XBMC auto cache its own thumbs XBMC commander will not display them to

basicly if its not on TVDB it does not show up on the remote even if you add your own poster and thumbs

is there a way to fix this

Problem 2

Subtitles when you use your subtitles button to turn on and off it works perfectly but if the movie has forced subtitles for none english speaking parts of the movie and you want to turn on full subtitles you can not do this. It only lets you turn on forced subs on or off you can not choise full englsih subs you can not seem to select other subtitle tracks

is there a way to fix this thanks maybe you just keep hitting subttiles button to scroll the tracks instead so it turns them on then as you tap it scrolls all the subtitle tracks untill the end and then it turns off, or even 2 subtitles buttons one for on and off and another for which subtitle track you want to select by scrooling them

Also maybe adding an audio selector to so that you can change different audios

i am using this on the iphone at the moment but hope to be getting an ipad real soon for this app

thanks

- DarkHelmet - 2011-04-09

First of all, brilliant app. Definitely the most advanced and best looking remote app I've used so far.

I'm using this on an ipod touch 4G and came across some issues though, so here are my 0,02 €.

The gestures part of the remote only works sometimes. Haven't found a pattern so it's hard to nail down when exactly it works and when it doesn't. After playing around with it for a while I have to admit though that personally I prefer a finger touch solution over gestures. The collect3 remote has a simple touch remote which more or less copies the old xbox remote, like a cross for directions and an enter button and such. I find myself switching the app when I need a simple remote functionality. Scrolling down a list for example. With a touch remote I can just keep my finger on the down button whereas with the gestures solution I have to wipe down constantly until the end of the touchscreen is reached. I know this might sound like a small thing but with a list of music artists of over 2000 artists it takes a long time to scroll down to ZZ Top, which takes me to the next small thing.

Especially in the music section I'd love some kind of shortcut which makes me jump to my artists starting with "k" or "o" or "z" instead of having to scroll down for quite some time. Most of my other apps have a vertical alphabetical list of letters on the very right side of the screen where the scrollbar is.

And finally I'm a huge fan of music videos and music playlists. Both quite underrated features of xbmc imo judging from the forum. Neither of these are supported by the remote. It would be sweet to have these supported by your remote.

Keep up the good work, love the app otherwise.

Cheers from sunny Hamburg.

- spamdoggi - 2011-04-09

Great App. I wish you could add Wake on Lan (may be automagically on start/resume the App for last used Server), that would be awesome.

greetings from Munich Smile