Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2011-12-25

PVR support was one of the reasons i started coding this app in the first place, so it will be added sooner or later.

Unfortunately XBMCs JSON api hasn't been extended yet to include any pvr functionality, so theres no way for an external app to communicate with XBMC for getting live tv info.

You might imagine that i got pretty excited upon reading your post, because i thought that development on this branch has finally started.
Well, unfortunately it hasn't.

The guys from xbmc constellation are using some pretty dark hacks ™ to get the epg data to the ipad: They're downloading the complete pvr database file from xbmc to the ipad, and read it locally.
This is pretty low level compared to a direct, fine grained communication with xbmc.
Also for speed i follow the policy of requesting data from XBMC only on demand instead of downloading / maintaining the complete database.

Long story short:
- The idea to download the complete database files is intriguing. It has some drawbacks though: Won't work with an external mySQL database; won't work if you use the "ignore server epg" switch (i think); needs to redownload the whole db again to update its data.
- Since i'm personally interested in this featur, i think i'll experiment a little with this concept.
- Whenever pvr support is finally added to XBMCs api (on the roadmap for v12.0 i think) support in the app will follow shortly after.

- The_FrankO - 2011-12-25

I have been using this great remote for awhile now using my AppleTV with crystalbuntu on it.

After the changes where made to the RPC calls I started to have some issues which worked fine before the changes
1) When the playlist is empty and you switch to it, it will crash.
2) When I start playing a movie it disconnects. Really annoying if you want to turn down the volume. Not sure if this is an XBMC issue or XBMC Commander.

Also on a side note, is there a reason why it is not compatible with iOS 3.1.3?

- 18000rpm - 2011-12-28

Does anyone know if Eden's JSON API has "resume" support?

- waltermalter - 2011-12-30

18000rpm Wrote:Does anyone know if Eden's JSON API has "resume" support?

Yes it has ... and it's allready working with XBMC Commander :-)

Cheers,
Walter

- 18000rpm - 2011-12-31

waltermalter Wrote:yes it has (resume) ... And it's allready working with xbmc commander :-)

cheers,
walter

yesssssssssss

- tsp42 - 2012-01-01

grywnn Wrote:PVR support was one of the reasons i started coding this app in the first place, so it will be added sooner or later.

Unfortunately XBMCs JSON api hasn't been extended yet to include any pvr functionality, so theres no way for an external app to communicate with XBMC for getting live tv info.
The first couple of PVR functions has been added to the JSON API (see this commit at the xbmc PVR fork.)
It might be a good time to come up with additional feature request to the JSON PVR api if you have something specific in mind with the EPG functionality.

slight problem with eden beta - xtlc - 2012-01-05

I use the XBMC Cmdr sine a very long time ago, and there is one annoying glitch now since eden. I use just the file explorer, not the library. My audio files are collected like this:

Artist -> Album1, Album2, Album3 ....

Where Album1, 2, 3 are subfolders of the folder Artist. And so on...
The flac files are in Album1, ...

So... earlier I was able in the cmdr to just select an Artist folder, "play on xbmc" -> played. Now, I cannot do this anymore. It will only play items which are at maximum one subdirectory deeper. So If I click on Album1 -> Play -> works.

Can you fix this?

- skeezer - 2012-01-08

Media flags like DTS 1080 etc would be a great feature

- reapy - 2012-01-08

It's been a while since I used XBMC (last time was on my xbox) but just got a HTPC. I bought XBMC commander for the ipad2, using it with the eden beta version.

I'm still sorting out my shows and things to work in library view but xbmc works very nicely in that regard.

What I don't like is the remote functionality. I can't seem to get the context menu to open up for one thing, the other, is that the gestures just seem too sensitive, and it might just be that I am not all that great with multi touch displays ( new to ipad2 also).

Either way I was wondering if there was a fix on the way for opening the context menu, and if there are any future plans to offer a remote that has buttons instead of solely using gestures?

For now am using the remote functionality of constellations as that appears to be working correctly and I can at least navigate the menus.

- meridius - 2012-01-29

Is this app still in development ?

If so I was wondering if u can fix the app when switching profiles in xbmc as when u do this it rescans for xbmc and u have to wait for it to pick up the server

Is this possable to stop the app from doing this so u can use it straight away. Instead of waiting 5 to 8 sec. I know it's not a Hugh amount of time but would be great if it can be fixed

Cheers

- grywnn - 2012-01-29

meridius Wrote:Is this app still in development ?
Count on it Big Grin
I've got a few nice improvements cooking.
It's just that i've got a lot to do on my main job atm, which slows down development a little. But it won't stop Smile

Quote:If so I was wondering if u can fix the app when switching profiles in xbmc as when u do this it rescans for xbmc and u have to wait for it to pick up the server

Is this possable to stop the app from doing this so u can use it straight away. Instead of waiting 5 to 8 sec. I know it's not a Hugh amount of time but would be great if it can be fixed
I'm checking XBMCs status (including the running profile) every 5 seconds.
Looking through my code i notice that a profile change takes two cycles to become active in XBMC Commander.
I should be able to reduce this to one cycle, resulting in a profile switch in < 5s instead of 5s-10s. Instant won't be possible for now.

- recoil - 2012-01-29

Just wanted to say I downloaded this app and it's pretty bad ass! One of the better $4 I've spent on an iPhone App. Smile

It was pretty easy to set up. I had a slight hangup with my Windows Firewall on my Home Theater PC that runs XBMC. Apparently once I set up the "Access via HTTP" in XBMC a Windows Firewall Prompt appeared in the background (I didn't see it at first) asking to allow access. Once I realized that and allowed, all was good.

Great work!

- meridius - 2012-01-29

grywnn Wrote:Count on it Big Grin
I've got a few nice improvements cooking.
It's just that i've got a lot to do on my main job atm, which slows down development a little. But it won't stop Smile

I'm checking XBMCs status (including the running profile) every 5 seconds.
Looking through my code i notice that a profile change takes two cycles to become active in XBMC Commander.
I should be able to reduce this to one cycle, resulting in a profile switch in < 5s instead of 5s-10s. Instant won't be possible for now.

Hi mate glad your still working on it, tell me about it I have loads on at work to.

That's exellent news about reducing the time when switching profiles as I use profiles all the time as one profile is setup for stereo 2.0 for tv and the other for 5.1 surround sound for my amp.
can not wait to try your next version out and looking forward to the new and improvements to xbmc commander

Cheers

- guygizmo - 2012-01-29

I feel XBMC Commander is by the far the best remote control for XBMC, especially because of the interface that lets you use gestures to navigate.

The only thing I'm missing right now is the ability to customize the shortcuts on the iPhone / iPod Touch. I've got an iPod Touch working as a universal remote for my whole media center, along with XBMC Commander. I really wanted to make some key functions of XBMC easy to access (like changing the current audio track). This is because often non-techie people use my media center, and they find XBMC's interface to be daunting. More often than not, I have to end up setting things up for them, or fixing problems. But they find the iPod Touch's interface / XBMC Commander is much easier and more intuitive, so all I need to make it usable for everyone is to add things to the shortcuts menu.

grywnn: Do you plan on adding that to iPhone XBMC Commander any time soon?

- 5meohd - 2012-01-29

holy crap this is awesome.. does wake on LAN mean I can start my computer with xbmc commander? how would that work? if not.. does anyone know an iphone app that can start a powered off windows 7 machine?