Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- meridius - 2012-01-30

5meohd Wrote:holy crap this is awesome.. does wake on LAN mean I can start my computer with xbmc commander? how would that work? if not.. does anyone know an iphone app that can start a powered off windows 7 machine?

Yes u can just find out the mac address of the pc u want to turn on and enter the mac address into the xbmc commander settings. Also make sure in your bios u have wake in Ian enabled. And that's it

Oh you might need to go into the windows settings for the network card and select only turn on by magic packets or somthing called like that. You will need to enable that or any other computer on your network will wake your pc automaticly even if u don't want to which is where magic packets come in and only turns on when the mac address gets sent to that computer which xbmc commander would do because u would have the mac code in the settings.

Hope that helps.

- xtlc - 2012-02-01

How are the chancing for enhanced playlist support?

- i'd like to be able to save created playlists
- add YouTube videos to a play list

- grywnn - 2012-02-01

Saving playlists isn't supported by XBMCs external APIs.
According to the forum most XBMC developers think that playlist handling in XBMC is totally messed up and should be completely redone rather sooner than later.
Actually this is on the roadmap for XBMC v12:
Improve builtin playlist management (and the JSON-RPC API for handling playlists)
As soon as XBMC supports it, i'll add it.

Enqueuing youtube videos is something that's already finished in my codebase, so expect this in the next update (can't pin a date on it yet, somewhere around middle / end of february)

- rugbymad - 2012-02-01

Great app!!! but can you impliment couple of things, so that it is a complete package. a mousepad to control windows and most important the ability to switch profile and have that cached!!!!

thx

- meridius - 2012-02-02

Great can not wait for the new version, is there anything new added or changed ?

I hope the profile delay will be fixed or added on the next version

Cheers

- grywnn - 2012-02-02

@rugbymad:
Sorry, mousepad would require direct interaction with windows (or whatever system one is using. Remember that XBMC is multi-platform. I'm not running a single windows instance myself, all Linux & OS X).
This would only be possible through additional software like VNC for example.
Implementing something like this would be way out of scope for my little app Smile
There are some really good apps out there that transform your ipad into a mousepad, please try one of those.

The second thing, profile switching, is also problematic:
XBMC shuts down all external communication when logging out of a profile.
Therefor you can't even input the passcode through XBMC Commander once the lockscreen is visible. Also XBMCs remote control API doesn't support profile listing / switching (yet?), so theres no way to initiate a switch through XBMC Commander.

@meridius:
First of all some minor improvements like the ability to enqueue youtube videos, improved caching, improved stability in playlists, an url scheme for directly linking into the app.
Additionally i'm planning to show a bit more meta data on items like video and audio details (eden only)
And finally a rather slick feature: I'm working on a "hack" that will let you control XBMC from your iPads lockscreen / multitasking bar. Just like the ipod controls you usually have there. But don't get overly exited, i'm not entirely sure if this will pass apple revision Smile

- Memphiz - 2012-02-02

grywnn Wrote:@rugbymad:
Sorry, mousepad would require direct interaction with windows (or whatever system one is using. Remember that XBMC is multi-platform. I'm not running a single windows instance myself, all Linux & OS X).
This would only be possible through additional software like VNC for example.
Implementing something like this would be way out of scope for my little app Smile
There are some really good apps out there that transform your ipad into a mousepad, please try one of those.

The second thing, profile switching, is also problematic:
XBMC shuts down all external communication when logging out of a profile.
Therefor you can't even input the passcode through XBMC Commander once the lockscreen is visible. Also XBMCs remote control API doesn't support profile listing / switching (yet?), so theres no way to initiate a switch through XBMC Commander.

@meridius:
First of all some minor improvements like the ability to enqueue youtube videos, improved caching, improved stability in playlists, an url scheme for directly linking into the app.
Additionally i'm planning to show a bit more meta data on items like video and audio details (eden only)
And finally a rather slick feature: I'm working on a "hack" that will let you control XBMC from your iPads lockscreen / multitasking bar. Just like the ipod controls you usually have there. But don't get overly exited, i'm not entirely sure if this will pass apple revision Smile

What about the broken long press for getting into the context menu? ^^

- mukati - 2012-02-06

Memphiz Wrote:What about the broken long press for getting into the context menu? ^^

yup.. that's what I am waiting for... right now I need to switch to my remote mouse to get the context menu. If this gets fixed, I can completely rely on commander for my XBMC operation.

- Memphiz - 2012-02-06

mukati Wrote:yup.. that's what I am waiting for... right now I need to switch to my remote mouse to get the context menu. If this gets fixed, I can completely rely on commander for my XBMC operation.

You can also use the commanders keyboard and hit shift+c ... just as workaround Wink

- grywnn - 2012-02-06

Memphiz Wrote:You can also use the commanders keyboard and hit shift+c ... just as workaround Wink
...or use the "menu" shortcut in landscape mode (ipad) / on the shortcuts page (iphone)
Anyway, since i'm still struggling wether i myself prefer osd or contextmenu on long press, how about this solution:
- Long press toggles osd when a video is running
- Context menu when not.

- Memphiz - 2012-02-06

grywnn Wrote:...or use the "menu" shortcut in landscape mode (ipad) / on the shortcuts page (iphone)
Anyway, since i'm still struggling wether i myself prefer osd or contextmenu on long press, how about this solution:
- Context menu when not.

Allways thought the menu shortcut brings me back to the menu. Well i just wanted to pointout that it doesn't work like written on the chalkboard. Nothing happens when doing a long touch.

- mukati - 2012-02-06

grywnn Wrote:...or use the "menu" shortcut in landscape mode (ipad) / on the shortcuts page (iphone)
- Context menu when not.

Thanks for the tip!.. will check this out later tonight!

- paul_p1 - 2012-02-06

Is there any chance you could include the choice of YouTube streams when sending the clip to Xbmc?

- grywnn - 2012-02-07

@Paul: Youtube stream resolutions - yeah, shouldn't be too hard. Noted.

- grywnn - 2012-02-07

grywnn Wrote:@Paul: Youtube stream resolutions - yeah, shouldn't be too hard. Noted.

I've looked into this a little, and i'm not entirely sure wether youtube quality selection through xbmc commander is really necessary:
- When i send a youtube link to XBMC, the youtube addon automatically selects the best video quality available
- You can set a max quality in the addons settings, so if your internet connection is to slow to handle 1080p, you can limit youtube to sd.
This should be enough imo?
(Tested on Eden Beta2 only)