Kodi Community Forum
Newznab - Anyone using it? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Newznab - Anyone using it? (/showthread.php?tid=82119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - ringthealarm22 - 2012-12-10

(2012-12-10, 02:34)bamathrasher Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 01:56)z-vap Wrote: Hi all

I would love to run my own newznab indexer. I tried out Newznab classic, and the install seems to go swimmingly. However, when I enable "a few" groups, and run the two update scripts, I never get any releases.

Its recommended in the readme to do that to make sure its working as it should, but I just don't know if it is.

This is the howto I followed

following the shutdown of the matrix today I too discovered newznab classic, and with my knowledge of php, apache and mysql it definitely seems to be a viable option for me to use as a replacement.

I managed to get it installed just fine using the same article you posted and newznabs own documentation. only thing I changed was I also installed phpmyadmin to manage mysql a little easier. when I ran the update_binaries script it seemed to complete successfully and with 5 groups selected my db is about 60mb, but when I run the update_releases I get nothing returned.

Hey folks.

I too followed this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/120285/how-to-build-your-own-usenet-indexer/ and set up newznab and everything else etc. Have had no problems with adding groups and starting the process of downloading etc.

ONE big question to anyone with more knowledge than myself. What I did was install all this on a spare laptop I have with ubuntu on it. What I wanted to do was have this laptop host the index website for me to access from the other computers on my network. It seems that guide created a setup that is only accessible on the laptop. Anyone know if there is a way I can modify the setup so the indexing website is available to other computers on my home network ?

I would really appreciate any and all input. I'm assuming this is a modification to the apache area of the setup ? But I really have no idea.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - gunnerhead - 2012-12-10

Hey guys I have an HTPC running Windows 7, is it possible to set it up on there? Looking to make my HTPC into an HTPC/server combo.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - bae0 - 2012-12-10

I am currently backfilling on this and have it hosted on the tor network. Current hardware is spread across two ESXI environments. I am trying to determine how to alter the site under CSS. Accessible via a TOR address which introduces some lag.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - oRAirwolf - 2012-12-10

I'm looking into setting this up for myself but as I'm on a capped residential connection, its important to know what kind of bandwidth this indexer is going to be using. Can anybody give me an idea of how much bandwidth this program uses?

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - fatalglitch - 2012-12-10

To everyone who is having issues getting "Releases" to show up, you need regex in order for binaries to turn into releases

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - idioteque1 - 2012-12-10

I'm currently setting this up too. Installed everything fine though when updating the binaries it seems to work fine (How do you tell how many headers it's downloaded?). When I try to update the releases i'm getting nothing back. I've set it to download 3 days worth of content too. Weird.
(2012-12-10, 13:42)fatalglitch Wrote: To everyone who is having issues getting "Releases" to show up, you need regex in order for binaries to turn into releases

Care to elaborate a bit more please buddy?. Could be where we're all going wrong. Big Grin

Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Edit - mine is using the latest regex lookup from Newsnab

(http://www.newznab.com/getregex.php)

Is this wrong?

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - fishy89 - 2012-12-10

Hi guys im really struggling installing newznab i havent got a clue. Im running windows 7 and i have installed Xammp server but im stuck from this point on. I cant find any guides for windows 7 so any help would be much appricated thanks

Hi ive nearly got it setup its just the database im having problems with can anyone help me with this please

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - bamathrasher - 2012-12-10

(2012-12-10, 09:05)ringthealarm22 Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 02:34)bamathrasher Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 01:56)z-vap Wrote: Hi all

I would love to run my own newznab indexer. I tried out Newznab classic, and the install seems to go swimmingly. However, when I enable "a few" groups, and run the two update scripts, I never get any releases.

Its recommended in the readme to do that to make sure its working as it should, but I just don't know if it is.

This is the howto I followed

following the shutdown of the matrix today I too discovered newznab classic, and with my knowledge of php, apache and mysql it definitely seems to be a viable option for me to use as a replacement.

I managed to get it installed just fine using the same article you posted and newznabs own documentation. only thing I changed was I also installed phpmyadmin to manage mysql a little easier. when I ran the update_binaries script it seemed to complete successfully and with 5 groups selected my db is about 60mb, but when I run the update_releases I get nothing returned.

Hey folks.

I too followed this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/120285/how-to-build-your-own-usenet-indexer/ and set up newznab and everything else etc. Have had no problems with adding groups and starting the process of downloading etc.

ONE big question to anyone with more knowledge than myself. What I did was install all this on a spare laptop I have with ubuntu on it. What I wanted to do was have this laptop host the index website for me to access from the other computers on my network. It seems that guide created a setup that is only accessible on the laptop. Anyone know if there is a way I can modify the setup so the indexing website is available to other computers on my home network ?

I would really appreciate any and all input. I'm assuming this is a modification to the apache area of the setup ? But I really have no idea.
If you set it up on ubuntu and are running apache, you should be able to access the site on any computer in your network by IP address (i.e. http://192.168.1.10), since I used both that howtogeek article and the newznab documentation to configure mine, I can't remember which one told me how to create the VirtualHost file I needed, essentially if you didn't do that you will need to create a VirtualHost file for the site and set your newznab site to your default site rather the default apache site running on port 80. See the newznab setup guide on how to do this, it's pretty easy.

(2012-12-10, 11:12)gunnerhead Wrote: Hey guys I have an HTPC running Windows 7, is it possible to set it up on there? Looking to make my HTPC into an HTPC/server combo.
Yeah, you can use XAMPP to run apache/mysql to get this setup. You won't find any documentation on how to do this, so it will require some basic apache knowledge on how to use the existing guides and tailor it to work with XAMPP. The alternative would be the way that I am running it, download and install VirtualBox and create an Ubuntu Server VM, 2 cores and 1GB of RAM should do it.
(2012-12-10, 12:29)oRAirwolf Wrote: I'm looking into setting this up for myself but as I'm on a capped residential connection, its important to know what kind of bandwidth this indexer is going to be using. Can anybody give me an idea of how much bandwidth this program uses?
Just to give you an idea, I set my newznab site to backfill 1 days worth of headers for 6 groups and my DB is currently at 600MB with probably 4 other attempts at updating the binaries. I did go back and purge the groups but it didn't seem to reduce the size of the DB at all so I think there was about 90MB of fluff in there from my other attempts iirc. So depending on how many groups and how long you want to index, IMO it's pretty lightweight.
(2012-12-10, 13:42)fatalglitch Wrote: To everyone who is having issues getting "Releases" to show up, you need regex in order for binaries to turn into releases
Do the 2 regex's that come pre-builtin with newznab not work? Could you post some others that may work better or post where to find better regexes?
(2012-12-10, 14:27)fishy89 Wrote: Hi guys im really struggling installing newznab i havent got a clue. Im running windows 7 and i have installed Xammp server but im stuck from this point on. I cant find any guides for windows 7 so any help would be much appricated thanks
XAMPP is just a way to run apache natively on Windows, since I have no experience with it I can't tell you how you are supposed to interface with it, but you should be able to follow the guides already out there for setting it up on ubuntu and actually save quite a bit of time since you have a GUI. Just download the newznab classic zip file, extract it, put the contents of the zip in your apache directory which is typically /var/www/ for apache on linux. Then it's a matter of going through the existing guides and making the apache/php tweaks outlined.
(2012-12-10, 17:42)fishy89 Wrote: Hi ive nearly got it setup its just the database im having problems with can anyone help me with this please
Run a 'sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin' and let it install accepting the default values. Then on another computer open a browser to the http://<IP Address of your newznab server>/phpmyadmin, the default login is root and whatever password you specified. Managing your SQL DB's becomes much, much easier with phpmyadmin.

So I just successfully backfilled 1 day of binaries for 6 groups, my DB is populated with what I would think is the right amount of data but still I get 0 releases. I'm going to go ahead and say it's because the free version only comes with 2 regex's that are deprecated and don't work at all.

Would anyone be willing to share their updated regex's or should I just go ahead and throw down the cash for the NN+ version?

Ok so i got it setup to the point where i have given myself an account and ive activated 5 groups to index but nothing is updating. Ive tried running the scripts but nothing seems to happen.

(2012-12-10, 19:46)fishy89 Wrote: Ok so i got it setup to the point where i have given myself an account and ive activated 5 groups to index but nothing is updating. Ive tried running the scripts but nothing seems to happen.

Go to Admin > Site Settings, and under the Usenet settings section look for 'Where to start new groups' setting its the last option on mine and change it from Posts to Days then put 1 in the Days box and click save site settings.

Now run your update_binaries.php script again, it should take awhile depending on your groups and you should see your DB start to grow in size.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Talsit - 2012-12-10

I'm at pretty much the same point as most folks. I did multiple installs and finally just let it run in an Ubuntu VM on my desktop. I back filled 10 days on one group and doing Update_releases did nothing.

Pulling the string, I will need to write and install some regex's. If you donate to newznab they include regex.

Check out the newznab irc, it's pretty helpful, I'm finding the documentation a little hit or miss.

ok i changed the settings but im having problems running the script, how i run it?

fishy: from what I can tell you are kind of wasting your time if you are using the classic free version, even if you get the update_binaries script to run and populate your DB, the included regex with the free version don't actually successfully convert the binaries into releases so you'd be like the rest of us with about 1GB of binary data and no releases Smile

If you do still want to continue, go to /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts and type 'php update_binaries.php"