Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Slingbox Client - Development Status - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: XBMC Slingbox Client - Development Status (/showthread.php?tid=82597)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- rdoac - 2011-04-19

Am very interested in this, I couldn't get the precompiled binary working so am currently compiling from git. However, I have a couple of thoughts as I mainly use the pvr fork of XBMC.

My PVR backend, VDR for linux can handle IPTV streams using the vdr-iptv plugin. For use with a web source, you would normally call a script which is responsible for converting the stream into a TS stream and sending it to a udp port on the server. (This I do with ffmpeg).

Is there a way to fork out the sling code into a command line application which could be called using the vdr-iptv script and the video output thrown to ffmpeg to enter into the VDR backend? With this, attaching channel change instructions and even an EPG would be very doable. The PVR backend would also be able to record the slingstreams, an issue I have being 6 hours time difference away from my slingbox.

How easy would it be to do this? My programing is not really up to it, but having already done the work for xbmc, it should be a fairly simple thing right? :-)

Thanks
Rob

- GaMeR64 - 2011-04-22

Harry, i love you...

This is so cool. I can`t wait or the day it will work with my Pro-HD and when my XBMC on a 22inch Touchscreen in the Bathroom (where the actual bath is...) project is finished.

Thanks a million for all your hard work.

P.S. If you need another Pro HD to test with, please let me know...

- rdoac - 2011-04-24

I patched the current pvr fork with this. It's very good and the picture quality is good enough to watch on a 32" screen. Finally a linux slingbox client.

I'm still interested in some pointers to create a command line linux application if anyone wants to help?

- jas722 - 2011-04-25

Will the Linux build work for the XBMC Dharma release of Live?

Having some issues finding where to place the files...

Is there a guide on how to set everything up? any help would be much appreciated.

- Harry Muscle - 2011-04-26

jas722 Wrote:Will the Linux build work for the XBMC Dharma release of Live?

Having some issues finding where to place the files...

Is there a guide on how to set everything up? any help would be much appreciated.

It should work with Live no problem. Best way to find where to put these files is to do a search for them and then simply replace them ... or if you want, wait a little bit until I do exactly what you are doing and post back here ... cause unfortunately I don't remember the full paths for all the files off the top of my head Smile

Harry

- Harry Muscle - 2011-04-26

rdoac Wrote:I patched the current pvr fork with this. It's very good and the picture quality is good enough to watch on a 32" screen. Finally a linux slingbox client.

I'm still interested in some pointers to create a command line linux application if anyone wants to help?

Hey, sorry for not replying to your PM. What you are suggesting wouldn't be too difficult actually. I could probably put something like that together for you, but realistically it wouldn't be for a couple of months since I've been busy with some other stuff.

Harry

- rdoac - 2011-04-26

Thanks Harry. Moving this to the PVR backend seems to make sense to me ass there was no Slingbox linux client until this came along. If you've not looked at the pvr stuff it really is fantastic. But imagine a slingbox with 7 day epg able to record locally on your box.. :-)

- jas722 - 2011-04-26

Harry Muscle Wrote:It should work with Live no problem. Best way to find where to put these files is to do a search for them and then simply replace them ... or if you want, wait a little bit until I do exactly what you are doing and post back here ... cause unfortunately I don't remember the full paths for all the files off the top of my head Smile

Harry

Ok, I think I have the paths will post them here in case anyone runs into similar problems:

This is for the newest release of XBMC Live, unsure about the other versions.

/usr/share/xbmc/language/English - Strings.xml

/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720P - DialogPlayEjectCancel.xml

/usr/lib/xbmc - xbmc.bin

Going to attempt to add my slingbox solo as a source as soon as I get the external IP address from my parents house. We'll see how it goes since reading through most of these posts goes over my head, newbie to the Linux world.

Can I get the port off the sling box stream that i usually use in a web browser?

Dunno how successful I will be since it seems there are a lot of behind the scenes tweaks and *.xml settings to be changed. If anyone has set this up before I would love to hear how you did it. :-)

Edit: ok I think I did something wrong....after replacing these files and rebooting xbmc live will not even launch :-( Boots into a XBMC loading screen then just flashes "Ubuntu xbmc login:" over and over.

Any help?

Maybe I should just wait for the user guide lol

- ktjensen - 2011-05-08

Hello - I want to try doing this with the latest NIGHTLY BUILD file for the Apple TV 2. I have both a remote slingbox, and a good working Apple TV 2 running the latest XBMC.

Do I need to ask the holder for the NIGHTLY BUILD to incorporate your code into his compiled version? In order to test it? Or would this SLINGBOX code for the XBMC already likely be in the NIGHTLY BUILD?

- rdoac - 2011-05-08

It is almost certainly not in the nightly build. You will need to either hand patch the code into the ios version or ask him to do so..

- ktjensen - 2011-05-08

rdoac Wrote:It is almost certainly not in the nightly build. You will need to either hand patch the code into the ios version or ask him to do so..

Okay will make a request in the discussion thread for the nightly build. hope someone who compiles the code will complete it.

Worst thing is it just would not work on that platform. and hopefully not mess with anything else in the build.

- keith - 2011-05-08

Hey Harry, mind editing the 1st post and putting in the code/relevant setup info I need so I can attempt an ATV2 build?

Thanks man! This is awesome. Makes me want to rush out and grab a slingbox if I can use atv2s as settops Smile

- 23adrock - 2011-05-08

Thanks Harry for working on this. Looking forward to it getting into a build!

- rdoac - 2011-05-09

I used this for patching the pvr branch:

77 (PR)

Look at the diff view, I then copied and pasted what I needed and edited the relavent files. I then have a bunch of patch files I keep one level lower than the git directory so I can repatch files when a git update wants to change the relevant file..

AirPlay feature in iOS - Atv2 - 2011-05-09

Not sure if this is the appropriate area to post my comment but I've got my Slingbox Pro-HD streaming to my apple tv 2 via AirPlay using my iPhone 4 without any problems.

Only once (don't ask me how), but my iPhone 4 which was sending the AirPlay to my apple tv 2 had somehow encountered an error in which I decided to shut my phone completely off and the Slingbox was miraculously somehow still streaming with AirPlay completely disabled from my iPhone!

Maybe a developer can use this info into porting a standalone app into the Apple TV 2 but by using AirPlay to sling onto my $99 box I have no complaints!!