Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Carmichael (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=187)
+----- Thread: [WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=84970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- costa - 2011-02-14

ronie Wrote:would be hard to tell what's going on without a debug log ;-)

@mcborzu:
users where having trailer problems in T! as well,
i manged to fix them by using this code:
Code:
<onclick>PlayMedia([b]&quot;[/b]$INFO[ListItem.Trailer][b]&quot;[/b],1)</onclick>

Where should I write this code?

thanks

- costa - 2011-02-14

Well .. There is only one view of movies that works for trailers : Coverflow.

some views without any link for trailers .. I mean not instruction to view trailers.

and Posters view there is a note to click down .. but nothing happens when u click down.

- ronie - 2011-02-14

costa Wrote:Any help regarding trailers issue?

here is my old post :

and here's mine:

ronie Wrote:would be hard to tell what's going on without a debug log ;-)

WoW! I love it! - N.O.W.A.L.L - 2011-02-14

Hello

First I want to congratulate you, your skin has become my favorite one! It may not be the most eye-candy, but it is for sure the most convenient to use on a daily basis!

Just a few questions or comments:
  • Is it possible to hide the XBMC in the upper left?
  • I definitely love the down part in the Home screen, with 2x 3 posters Recent/Random. But 3 posters is definitely not enough; would it be possible to implement more hidden posters? ( I mean on Recently added, scrolling to the left would scroll the last 20 new items, and on Random, scrolling to the left would scroll 20 random movies?
  • In the 2x 3 movies sections, the [ i ] feature on movies would be useful (for now there is only the play movie/trailer)
  • In my opinion, maybe you could change the clock typeface, this Condensed font doesn't match with the rest of the GUI
  • In List view, the "Seen" symbol right at the left of the movie's title is a bit disturbing, because then the alignment of the title moves, and the lack of space sticks the symbol to the title. I see maybe 2 options:
    1) put the "Seen" symbol right, near the rating, or
    2) Simply change the title's color: white = seen, green lime = unseen
  • In List view, there is a huge empty space at the left of the poster. Would it be possible to use it for the details symbols (720P, H264, Studio, etc?)
  • I use only Movies/HD Movies and TV Shows. Therefore I have not enough tabs to fill the GUI. would it be hard to make the tab auto-resize regarding how many they are? I guess it's a tricky request, because if it was possible you would have implemented yet
  • I love the green lime color it's OK. However I'd be curious to test other colors. Is there a .xml file somewhere where I could manually edit the color?
    >> Some things may need to be unified:
  • a) Corners: In List view, the black background under the titles has round corners, but posters and vertical menu in Home Screen have straight corners. I think it would be classy to soften a bit the interface with round corners on posters and down the vertical gray menu of the Home Screen
  • b) Shadows: the upper part (clock menu bar and main tabs) have the shadow down&right. The down part (posters, vertical menu) have shadow only left&right. I felt something was wrong and unfinished there but it took me time to figure out shadows were the cause.
    I'm sure that putting shadows left&right AND down behind the posters and the vertical menu would make a nice final touch to the interface.

Again this is the best skin I ever saw on XBMC (besides the very promising Welo, which unfortunately is half dead on its development), and for a 1.0.0 release it is almost already perfect, I look fwd to the next version!

A last question: Why did you name this skin "Carmichael"?

- mcborzu - 2011-02-14

N.O.W.A.L.L Wrote:A last question: Why did you name this skin "Carmichael"?

Thx for the compliments, I'll answer the others a little later...Why the name "The Carmichael"?

1. I always find it hard to think of names for skins. I got the name for "Night" after making the trailer and hearing the "Knight Rider" theme a 100 times.
2. I wanted a name that sounded elegant, like a upscale hotel sounding name.
3. I like the TV show "Chuck" and "The Carmichael" kind of fit #2's requirements.

- Jeroen - 2011-02-14

I always wondered why you didn't go with "The Intersect" Laugh
seemed appropriate with your Chuck references and allSmile

- N.O.W.A.L.L - 2011-02-14

I like very much Battlestar Galactica and The Simpsons... so I wish this skin was named The Viperhomer!

- kakoura69 - 2011-02-14

this skin is f*$^#ing awesome. love it. it has substituted the default one.
i only have one suggestion.
since i only watch tv shows please have one view like (files) but that also shows the unwatched episodes for each series i browse at the main list.

- JeromyNix - 2011-02-25

So far this is my proposed mod to the home screen. Its taking a little work, and i'm not sure how to overlay video or visualization in the backdrop area yet, but i'm getting there, this is my first skin mod and its interesting and tedious work. (note this image is a mock up so far all i've managed is to shuffle the images around, and swap out the sliding panels with the wraplist, and add in my script, of course.)

In the top right is a little script i'm working on to pull latest DVD Releases too... but its slow going since i'm just learning python. at the moment it only reads info from an xml file. I'm trying to figure out how to get the info from online to create the xml file.

- mcborzu - 2011-02-25

JeromyNix Wrote:Image

So far this is my mod to the home screen

Looks good, what you got planned for the sections like addons/pictures where we dont have much $Info to play with....

- JeromyNix - 2011-02-25

mcborzu Wrote:Looks good, what you got planned for the sections like addons/pictures where we dont have much $Info to play with....

One Window at a time, but that is an interesting question. Going to have to think that one through a while when i get to it.

- JeromyNix - 2011-02-25

if i'm not mistaken, XBMC can pull general info about height, width, format, and the like from image files.

And i'm not mistaken, pressing "i" (or info on my MCE Remote) when an image file is selected pulls up image information, so maybe i'll just have it pull image information if the cursor is settled on an image for a duration of 2 seconds.

- JeromyNix - 2011-02-25

you know i just realized what you meant... i rarely even looked at the home window when "pictures" is selected ... because i don't personally use that part, but the wife came home from walmart with vacation pictures and wanted to view them on the big screen, so i for the first time didn't skip over the "Pictures" part of the home window, and its pretty bare... I'm thinking about pulling picture sources for the home window panel and thumbnailing them and a quickslideshow link when clicking on the sources.

wondering if that's possible (though i'm learning almost anything is possible skinning XBMC with a little constructive/out-of-the-box thinking)

- JeromyNix - 2011-02-26

@mcborzu: Where is the "Global_RSS" include at in your skin files, I've looked through all the include files and either I'm blind or its invisible...

I've tried doing my own RSS Feed control but i keep getting
"ERROR: invalid rss url set referenced in skin"

and this is using the exact info from the xbmc skinning manual

- mcborzu - 2011-02-26

There is no include called "Global_RSS", the rss code starts at line 1742 in includes.xml