Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Carmichael (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=187)
+----- Thread: [WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=84970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- idoru17 - 2011-03-11

mcborzu Wrote:XBMC is designed to be used 10ft away on the couch with a remote not a Desktop application with a mouse...

Is that what you called democracy and free speech when you impose your view on dealing with something ?
Didn't you notice that there are wireless keyboards/mouse working 10ft away from your box ?
And didn't you notice that some people in the world suddendly feel the need to be heard and be involved in the process of moving towards new goals ?

restricted things tend to be dead things soon...

- ppic - 2011-03-11

skinners are free to handle the mouse or not.
if you want to use mouse, use the confluence skin.

- htpc guy - 2011-03-11

idoru17 Wrote:Is that what you called democracy and free speech when you impose your view on dealing with something ?
Didn't you notice that there are wireless keyboards/mouse working 10ft away from your box ?
And didn't you notice that some people in the world suddendly feel the need to be heard and be involved in the process of moving towards new goals ?

restricted things tend to be dead things soon...

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. XBMC is best suited (and designed) for use with a remote. Carmichael, Aeon, Alaska and many other skins take this approach. Mouse support is there but not fully fleshed out. This program is developed with no profit in mind. The devs and skinners put in there free time to get this XBMC goodness into our living rooms. It is part of XBMC's vision to be a 10ft experience like a set top box. Many of us go to drastic measures in hiding the fact that we even have computers hooked up to our tv's. We do this by creating custom boot splash screens, hiding elements of the OS and building HTPC's in cases that look like AV equipment. The keyboard and mouse detract from these efforts. IMHO the keyboard and mouse only need to be pulled out when doing updates/tweaking or browsing the interweb.

I'm not arguing that some users wouldn't want better mouse support because they do. The problem is that none of the devs want to focus their time on adding in better mouse support.

Again, I'm not putting you down in any way. If you want to use a mouse/keyboard then thats your prerogative. The great thing about having a HTPC is that you can customize anything. I would suggest appealing to a programmer for support or learn to code yourself and provide a patch.

Just my 2c

- idoru17 - 2011-03-12

Even if I understand your meaning, you're just thinking in (somehow) a way of the past, where appliances and computers were meant for skilled people and wihout the perspective of (near) tomorrow of touch everything : a keyboard or what will replace it is still far better than any remote.
In the same perspective I just don't see the point in using a keyboard for update and web surf if xbmc is designed for a 10ft away from computer experience and does so well with a remote....

But you're right, I'll have to go inside what makes a skin respond to mouse and see if i'm able to implement it elsewhere.

Just one last thing, you sure do know which skin became xbmc default, don't you ? Guess why...

- ppic - 2011-03-12

yes, the one made by xbmc dev team ...

- cainecollin - 2011-03-12

@idoru17: This skin (along with many others) actually work quite well with a mouse. In fact it's what I was using when I was first setting it up but switched once I had everything set in place.

- itstonye - 2011-03-13

How does carmichael run on AppleTV. I'm currently using confluence, and it lags from time to time. Is CarMichael any better, or worse? I love how the skin looks but does it perform?

- stokedfish - 2011-03-15

astonishing, wow! very impressed.

a few things are quite annyoing with this skin though. let's look at this screenshot:

why can't i see the ARTIST anywhere? it's pretty weird not to show the artist at all.
shouldn't we see artist + song + album at a glance? hmm...

another example:

again, you can't see the ARTIST of the currently playing song anywhere. that's so weird. at the same time the playing time is HUGE. is it that important? i'd much rather know the artist of the currently playing song than having a way oversized playing time thingy.

also: i use fanart view (every artist in my library has got a fanart) and the green "now playing" thing at the top is rather annoying. sometimes you can't see it at all, depending on the fanart. t! does a better job here by using transparent texts with a shade so you can always read it, no matter what fanart...

other than that, this skin is amazing. outstanding work!

- mcborzu - 2011-03-16

stokedfish Wrote:astonishing, wow! very impressed.

a few things are quite annyoing with this skin though. let's look at this screenshot:

why can't i see the ARTIST anywhere? it's pretty weird not to show the artist at all.
shouldn't we see artist + song + album at a glance? hmm...

another example:

again, you can't see the ARTIST of the currently playing song anywhere. that's so weird. at the same time the playing time is HUGE. is it that important? i'd much rather know the artist of the currently playing song than having a way oversized playing time thingy.

also: i use fanart view (every artist in my library has got a fanart) and the green "now playing" thing at the top is rather annoying. sometimes you can't see it at all, depending on the fanart. t! does a better job here by using transparent texts with a shade so you can always read it, no matter what fanart...

other than that, this skin is amazing. outstanding work!

Yea should include artist name in Album level. Music Visualization just a design preference, cant win them all. Though the green text isnt supposed to be there on fullscreen playback...

- idoru17 - 2011-03-17

cainecollin Wrote:@idoru17: This skin (along with many others) actually work quite well with a mouse. In fact it's what I was using when I was first setting it up but switched once I had everything set in place.

On my part, no mouse in home view, some interactions in each section but I have to mix keyboard and mouse until I'll receive my microsoft MCE remote then I'll be able to enjoy this 10ft away xbmc experience !

- stokedfish - 2011-03-17

mcborzu Wrote:Music Visualization just a design preference, cant win them all. Though the green text isnt supposed to be there on fullscreen playback...

thanks for the feedback!

not sure tho what to make of your answer: so it's never gonna be fixed or not possible to fix or just not high priority? the green text is always there in fullscreen playback and the artist is never shown Sad

- idoru17 - 2011-03-18

French langage bug in parameters/add-ons, some strings should be wrapped up and some margins thrown in... Screen is 1920x1200 landscape.

Also, translations are sometime not showing

or grammatically incorrect with, in this particular screen an inconsistency between left (with an accented capitalized letter as it is the rule in french) and the middle, without accented capitalized letter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I also noticed that in some sections the word 'Views' is used when in others it's the suitable french word "vue". If you need it, I could be of some help in going through the translations to track any inconsistency.

- idoru17 - 2011-03-20

is the Big Grid/coverflow/poster views in TVShows (using standards logos I presume) supposed to be this messed up or is it something related to my box ?

- flaviosa - 2011-03-21

hi guys

the play trailer is not working.

What should I do?

- mcborzu - 2011-03-21

idoru17 Wrote:is the Big Grid/coverflow/poster views in TVShows (using standards logos I presume) supposed to be this messed up or is it something related to my box ?

Screenshot? Are you meaning TV logos, never heard anyone having trouble with TV logos being messed up in this or any other skin...

flaviosa Wrote:hi guys

the play trailer is not working.

What should I do?

Could be many things? Invalid url's are usually the cause, or people adding trailers after scraping...