Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making (/showthread.php?tid=85142)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- MarkTaunton - 2011-01-09

Nice to see a mock up, so glad to see that it is in keeping with the Welo skin.

It does cut down on the amount of scrolling that you have to do seeing that wall, would I still use a wall view.

No sadly I wouldn't

Maybe that is my personal preference that I hate wall views but for Welo skin, it does look good, but not my cup of tea.

I find that wall views can look sexy, but sadly they are not 100% practical and are more often just to show off.

It falls down to how people like to view really, I know that I like newest to oldest, and recently added views.

Genres is my other choice of what I want to see.

Actors, directors, and studios always pull up too many results to make it worth while actually showing.

Anyway I am waffling, nice to see a mock up though.

Good luck with the development

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-09

Ok, this will throw the cat amongst the pigeons! Big Grin

Here's how diffused fanart could look...

(click on the image to see in 1280x720)

It's not the real thing yet, just a test. It's just a single image sat in front of the background, transparent to 12%, with everything else in front.

As a reminder, fanart could be an option (that's disabled by default to preserve Welo's design).

Nod or No?

- Bob___ - 2011-01-09

Too much Schnickschnack Sad

I suppose it renders the fanart window in the bottom left pointless if it's to in your face. Maybe more transparency?

- Rad_ - 2011-01-09

liquidskin76 Wrote:I suppose it renders the fanart window in the bottom left pointless if it's to in your face. Maybe more transparency?

I don't think that will help. Personally, I'm thrown off by the 2d image (fanart) being overlaid directly on what is otherwise supposed to look like a 3d interface/shelf. The illusion and consistency of the skin's whole design is kind of blown....

It's cool that you're trying to push the skin in some new directions, but the original design was so strong and so inspired that I think most changes will end up looking a bit mismatched. I'm guessing that's a big part of why Hitcher didn't want to try to take things the last few miles in the first place.

Anyway, not trying to be a downer. You've done some really great work before, and I wish you the best of luck with this. I'm very curious to see what you come up with. I think traditional implementations like fullscreen fanart and big posters will be a hard fit, but I'm sure you'll come up with some great ideas (that mockup just isn't one of them Wink)....

- blacklist - 2011-01-09

liquidskin76 Wrote:I suppose it renders the fanart window in the bottom left pointless if it's to in your face. Maybe more transparency?

I would say skip it. It's too broken to really make any difference, and the fan art in the corner covers the same content. Just my .02

Just in case anyone is worrying that I'm trying redesign Welo, fear not! Welo skin will remain as Welo intended. Wink

The fanart test was in response to earlier requests for a fanart option. Now we can see what it would actually look like, and discuss.

Any other change like font size, wall enlarging, etc are due to usability improvements, arising from me testing the skin on a 40" LCD.

Hope everyone understands!

- filigran - 2011-01-09

liquidskin76 Wrote:Just in case anyone is worrying that I'm trying redesign Welo, fear not! Welo skin will remain as Welo intended. Wink

The fanart test was in response to earlier requests for a fanart option. Now we can see what it would actually look like, and discuss.

Any other change like font size, wall enlarging, etc are due to usability improvements, arising from me testing the skin on a 40" LCD.

Hope everyone understands!

I think you're doing a good job keeping it "Weloized", the skin is coming along nicely. Smile

As stated above, the 3d effect goes away when fanart is added .. perhaps if you just add it in the middle, and keep the top and bottom opaque. Something like this (quick mockup in gimp, but you get the point. God I hate that program):

With fanart in the middle:

Without fanart:

I stilll think it looks a bit weird with fanart, but imo it's better than having it across the top and bottom parts. It does add a little bit of life to the background, not just the same plain gray all over, but there's still something that makes me say no to fanart (for once, I personally like big fanarts, and therefore will not be using Welo, no offence. Smile).

And those are my .02.

Great job so far though, this will be a great skin once it's finished! Smile

Hah, didn't know smileys are counted as images. Had too many, and got a "you've used 7 images..." error when posting. News to me. :anothersmileyface:

- DPickles - 2011-01-09

I agree. Fanart just doesn't work as a 'background' effect in this skin and should be avoided. If people are so determined to have fanart in this skin it could be possible to have a large fan art image sitting on the left hand side of the shelf while having 4 to 5 posters on the right hand side being scrollable?

This should fit in with the skin without breaking any 'rules' and present fanart in a neat acceptable way.

Might throw together a mockup once i get home. Damn not having access to photoshop at work!

- DPickles - 2011-01-09

Here's what I was talking about earlier. Mind you this was just quickly thrown together.

- djR3Z - 2011-01-09

DPickles Wrote:Here's what I was talking about earlier. Mind you this was just quickly thrown together.

I love this mockup. I liked the fanart in the background (it did add some life ot it) but I think the placement of the fanart on the left is great too. Really looking to trying this skin out!!!

Yeh, that looks good. I can see lots of mods for this skin!

- Metsadah - 2011-01-09

I love how clean this skin is. Just like the Alaska skin, but with a slight tech feel (if you know what I mean). Anyway, try to keep it clean, fanart in the background doesnt work that good for this skin. The mockup of dpickles is really good since you still have a small fanart picture in combo with the normal posters while not fucking up the rest of the UI.

Keep it clean and keep it simple and this skin will be very popular. If you go messing around with too much art then you will lose because there are better options like transparancy or aeon

- User 82367 - 2011-01-09

it's really an incredible skin ... it looks clean and absolutely professional.
would gladly see it as the default skin in xmbc and hope it gets released soon Smile

- Swifty - 2011-01-09

Is there any hope to getting basic PVR support with this skin ?

I'm absolutely loving the screenshots, but use the PVR branch so won't be able to use the Welo goodness otherwise Sad