Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- JustinAiken - 2010-12-25

I imagine I could put together a computer for less than $400 that would run it smooth... and for me it's worth $200 more than a ION Nettop for such an improved interface...

Just my two cents...

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-25

clock2113 Wrote:I imagine I could put together a computer for less than $400 that would run it smooth... and for me it's worth $200 more than a ION Nettop for such an improved interface...

Just my two cents...

$400, $200 or two cent's which one is it man lol

I am just giving rough estimated figures obviously nothing can be 100% accurate on figures and costings.

Some people cannot build computers, so they goto a computer shop and go and pay over priced shop prices.

The home cinema computer I built was £135 $160 silverstone case, £145 $165i5 530 motherboard and cpu, 4 gig memory already brought from previous build, new power supply.

Even that reasonably struggles on some skins, but that might be because other tasks are running in the background, but sometimes skins can have a bit of a stutter but that is probaly due to programming as well.

anyway as it has just gone into xmas day in the UK.

Merry Christmas everyone

- blacklist - 2010-12-25

MarkTaunton Wrote:I bow my head to you blacklist (but I am going to be Scrooge again) you are a true artist in every sense but......

If you keep expanding your wonderful creation, will it ever get created?

Mark,

To answer your first question - it is currently being created. Ronie has devoted hours to building, ppic has devoted his skill to creating scripts, and grajen3 has done an awesome job of modifying his rss feed script to fit in with my vision.

As as far as the "will it happen?" question - it will.

Now, as far as the horsepower question goes... honestly this is meant for a full powered HTPC. We are going to test it out on ATV and on some ION systems to make it work. Once its released, if its as cpu-intensive as it might be, I'm sure someone out there in the community will do a mod and strip out some of the scripts to make it run better on other systems.

Anyone else remember when Aeon came out? I'm in no way comparing myself to djh_, but at the time, it was a MONSTER. I think this skin is probably going to be similar.

I would rather reach for the top rung, try to create this with as many ideas and features as make sense, and then back off if necessary.

Rather than worry too much about how many resources this will take up - how about helping me with some python scripting - optimizing the current scripts so they aren't so system intense? Maybe open some trac tickets to make some of the features a part of core XBMC, so we don't have to invent ways to make it work?

I appreciate your feedback Mark, but I think we're a little premature to worry about it right now. The fact is we have really only been developing this for a little over a month. A lot of skins take the better part of a year to see the light of day. This one very well may.

And for the record, ronie is awesome, and doing an fantastic job with the skin. I don't think I tell him enough how incredible it is to see him bringing my crazy idea to life.

- Rad_ - 2010-12-25

blacklist Wrote:Perhaps ill just remove the red button for an episode with no next aired and put 2 random episode thumbs down there for placeholders.

^ This. I think having the image show up only on currently airing shows would be a great visual cue for ended/airing shows, and doesn't even need a placeholder.

You're doing amazing work. Thanks so much for sharing your progress and updates....

- blacklist - 2010-12-25

Rad_ Wrote:^ This. I think having the image show up only on currently airing shows would be a great visual cue for ended/airing shows, and doesn't even need a placeholder.

You're doing amazing work. Thanks so much for sharing your progress and updates....

I considered that, but it looks pretty naked down there without the big red button Big Grin

Merry Christmas!!!!

- ppic - 2010-12-25

so far, tested on a asrock ion 330, no problem Wink

i'm always developping my script with skin interraction to be the quicker and the simpliest to not overload the station.

from now, no problem running 5 scripts at start.

- blacklist - 2010-12-25

ppic Wrote:so far, tested on a asrock ion 330, no problem Wink

i'm always developping my script with skin interraction to be the quicker and the simpliest to not overload the station.

from now, no problem running 5 scripts at start.

That's because ppic is THE MAN Big Grin

- Jerenes - 2010-12-26

I am definately keeping tabs on this one... It looks friggin awesome.
Using Transparency now, but I just might switch over to this when it's released...

I will take a subscription on this thread, hoping you'll note down when this is done... Big Grin

- alshain - 2010-12-26

Hey... This project looks awesome.

I have had a look at the thread, but I was unable to find a location to the project's current status of development.

I would be happy to check it out and would consider contributing, as I've got a decent python knowledge, I'd say.

- blacklist - 2010-12-26

alshain Wrote:Hey... This project looks awesome.

I have had a look at the thread, but I was unable to find a location to the project's current status of development.

I would be happy to check it out and would consider contributing, as I've got a decent python knowledge, I'd say.

If you look back on page 16 i think, there is the last update i posted. The only current python projects hanging out there are finishing the actors script (ppic) and i need someone to look at the random items script and figure out why a random episode doesn't return the fan art and poster for the show correctly. Right now all.we get back properly is the episode thumb. (Movie returns data as expected)

Thanks for your support though ~ its funny i showed xbmc to a bunch of family over the last few days and they all thought my system was cool, but when i showed them the skin, they just didn't get it. Newbies! Tongue

- garyi - 2010-12-26

To add a counter argument. XBMC needs skins like this. The boundaries have to be touched and passed otherwise whats the point.

I am not a coder and don't have blacklists artistic skills either, but these two things need to come together otherwise we land up with yet another variant on confluence.

If it won't run on old computers and XBOX, well tough frankly.

- alshain - 2010-12-26

Ah I see. Well.. by "check it out", I meant actually install it on my system. But since I couldn't find a link on any of the pages, I guess you don't want to have it accessible yet.
You could work via github for instance - that would certainly speed up development/bugfixing.

I've got a question about a technical aspect though: These additional scripts to gather information, how do they run? Are they running all the time in the background, or are they executed on certain events (i.e. like addons).

In case you need some more manpower for python, your best best is to hook me up on freenode (online 24/7 unless server/inet breaks)

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-27

blacklist Wrote:Mark,

Rather than worry too much about how many resources this will take up - how about helping me with some python scripting - optimizing the current scripts so they aren't so system intense? Maybe open some trac tickets to make some of the features a part of core XBMC, so we don't have to invent ways to make it work?

Thank god xmas is over lol

I honestly wish that I could help with those chores, but sadly things have moved on since peek and poke days.

I could help pestering the XBMC staff, I'm very good at annoying people lol

As I said before, you are an artist, a true genius but you cannot pour an ocean into a pond.

- blacklist - 2010-12-27

alshain Wrote:Ah I see. Well.. by "check it out", I meant actually install it on my system. But since I couldn't find a link on any of the pages, I guess you don't want to have it accessible yet.
You could work via github for instance - that would certainly speed up development/bugfixing.

I've got a question about a technical aspect though: These additional scripts to gather information, how do they run? Are they running all the time in the background, or are they executed on certain events (i.e. like addons).

In case you need some more manpower for python, your best best is to hook me up on freenode (online 24/7 unless server/inet breaks)

Yes, like add ons. We have modified some existing scripts (random items and recently added) and are adding a couple more. Some are like tsr and are always running, but most just fire when called.

And no, the skin is not even remotely ready for consumption by the masses yet!

- ronie - 2010-12-27

blacklist Wrote:Can the skin do the math to figure out what the percentage complete?

nope, not at all.