Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- Oddsodz - 2011-01-10

All I shall ask is that you enable/build into the skin the ability to make use of the "ExtraFanArt" folder image rotating system that some skins have (Night/The Carmichael). And that you do it for Movies and TV shows. And if you can, Make use of "ExtraFanArt" images and "ExtraThumbs" images on the same page for movies. That has not been done yet

- blacklist - 2011-01-10

Oddsodz Wrote:All I shall ask is that you enable/build into the skin the ability to make use of the "ExtraFanArt" folder image rotating system that some skins have (Night/The Carmichael). And that you do it for Movies and TV shows. And if you can, Make use of "ExtraFanArt" images and "ExtraThumbs" images on the same page for movies. That has not been done yet

You're going to have to explain a little more what you are asking. Currently I make use of fanart and a couple extra thumbs in most of the views. Currently I don't have room to display any more images that what I'm showing.

What do you mean by "rotating system"? I'm guessing they transition through the existing images? I'm not sure that really fits with my scheme, but I could could see picking a random extra thumb from existing images rather than the first image each time.

- ppic - 2011-01-10

he means multiimage control, where you display all image from a directory, and they are displaying one by one on same place.

- blacklist - 2011-01-10

ppic Wrote:he means multiimage control, where you display all image from a directory, and they are displaying one by one on same place.

That's what I figured. I'm not all that interested in scrolling through images on a timer, but I will consider picking one at randomneach time then page is loaded.

- blacklist - 2011-01-10

Ok, I'm going to call this done, unless I get some crazy brainstorm in the middle of the night.

So - the technical hurdles:

1. Similar Artists is pulled from last.fm. However, I want it to connect to the appropriate artist node in the XBMC database. Might be an interesting feat. It seems that I remember both XBMC and last.fm have the MusicBrainz id with each artist, so maybe we can compare that way. Going to need some help with this one.

2. Recently Listened - is this from last.fm or XBMC? I would vote last.fm since it aggregates all my data, but I can see the argument for the other as well. Maybe user choice in skin settings.

3. Most Listened - see above. Same issues.

4. On tour - links to bandsintown listing for artist (similar overlay on music home)

5. Hearts - can we tell if a song is hearted on last.fm? The API gives the info, just don't know if we have access.

6. Discography - do we have access to this on artist page?

- Oddsodz - 2011-01-10

ppic Wrote:he means multiimage control, where you display all image from a directory, and they are displaying one by one on same place.

Yes. And it works to great effect. Make it an option in settings for the skin. Them that like the "ExtraFanArt" system will love it. And them that don't use it would never need to worry about it.

It's a great system due to the fact that the users that don't have an x:\moves\Star Trek\ExtraFanArt folder with lots of images in just get the normal fanart.jpg (or what ever is scrapped for fanart) as the "fanArt" image. It's a nice clean fall back. Win Win all round.

Go on, you know you want to really Confused

- blacklist - 2011-01-10

Oddsodz Wrote:Yes. And it works to great effect. Make it an option in settings for the skin. Them that like the "ExtraFanArt" system will love it. And them that don't use it would never need to worry about it.

It's a great system due to the fact that the users that don't have an x:\moves\Star Trek\ExtraFanArt folder with lots of images in just get the normal fanart.jpg (or what ever is scrapped for fanart) as the "fanArt" image. It's a nice clean fall back. Win Win all round.

Go on, you know you want to really Confused

I don't object to the idea of loading a random image... I just don't think the images changing a timer will look all that great.We'll see what happens. Might be a good mod if we don't get to it.

- blacklist - 2011-01-11

Mixed Album/Artist View. Hope this is actually possible.
Albums scroll up and down.

- TjaLfE - 2011-01-11

Hi...

First of all.. these mock-ups is really looking nice! Nice work blacklist!...

I don't know if this has been asked before, and reading the 33 pages of this thread is too time consuming for Me ATM (sorry).

But do you have any plans for doing some mock-ups for a PVR version? I'm currently using the PVR testing branch, and I think it really lacks some nice skins with the support of PVR (I know PVR ain't supported officially by the XBMC team)

/TjaLfE

- blacklist - 2011-01-11

TjaLfE Wrote:Hi...

First of all.. these mock-ups is really looking nice! Nice work blacklist!...

I don't know if this has been asked before, and reading the 33 pages of this thread is too time consuming for Me ATM (sorry).

But do you have any plans for doing some mock-ups for a PVR version? I'm currently using the PVR testing branch, and I think it really lacks some nice skins with the support of PVR (I know PVR ain't supported officially by the XBMC team)

/TjaLfE

Right now I have no plans to do anything with pvr. That being said I wont rule it out for later. There is a LOT to do to get this skin out the door, and I think that adding pvr support is going to add a lot of time to the process. Add to that the fact that I personally don't use the pvr - it makes it hard to design for.

- Zuphael - 2011-01-11

Hi Blacklist,
I'm following this thread now since a long time and love to see how grows in your hands Wink

Really looking forward to do a german translation when its done Smile

Greetz
Zuph

- blacklist - 2011-01-11

Thank you sir! I'm actually snowed in right now and my goal is to get the music section done before I get plowed out. Smile

Looking at some of the earlier mockups - they aren't really holding up to some of the things I'm doing now (the newer designs are...denser?) So I may go back and take a look at doing some alternate or additional moving views.

- blacklist - 2011-01-12

Ok, so here is an updated version of the actor detail page. A few technical notes:

1. We are going to implement actor thumb, fanart, and extrathumbs - user defined directory, with a naming convention like:

Michelle Trachtenberg-folder.jpg
Michelle Trachtenberg-fanart.jpg
Michelle Trachtenberg-extrathumb1.jpg
Michelle Trachtenberg-extrathumb2.jpg

2. RSS news feed will be built using the google news aggregation. rss feed per actor should pulled from:

http://news.google.com/news?q=michelle+trachtenberg&output=rss

3. Actor info is being scraped by a script ppic is currently working on. In lieu of the above fanart, pictures should be filled in by scraped info from wikipedia. Local info should always take precedent.

This should be more practical since part of the script ppic is working on actually ranks your actors by popularity in your database. Means you could be creating images for your top 50 actors - not all 40,000 in the database. (Of course if you feel need to create for the full 40,000 - be my guest!)

- blacklist - 2011-01-12

A super simple actor view as an alternative to the list view. What I think will be an awesome way to browse through actors. Going to depend on some fanart collecting though!

- blacklist - 2011-01-12

The beginning of the actor list view. Not sure what else it needs, but it doesn't feel done at all.

Flow goes:

Movies -> Movie -> Cast -> Actor Detail
Movies -> Actors -> Actor List (or Fanart) -> Actor Detail

I'd like to do the same with directors... a plan for another day Big Grin