Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=87552)

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) - pacman_d - 2013-06-09

Hey Guys,

Thanks for putting in all the great work. I finally got this puppy going and connected to my Netflix account. Only problem is that I am having issues playing the videos.

I am running Frodo in Win7 x64.

When I go to launch a movie the screen opens in Kiosk mode, percentage bar pushes through to 100%, then BAM! "Whoops, Something went wrong... Error code: N8157-3142.

Alt-4 to get back to XBMC. Sad

Not sure where the problem is. Not much info on that error outside of messing with the sound card drivers.

When I rock it right from the browser from the same machine the movie plays fine. If i use the mouse, rightclick on the movie, select "Play from Here", it works as well.

XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - fogcity - 2013-06-12

Given the problems many people (myself included) are having with the XBMC Flicks addon, I wonder whether another approach to the problem would work:

Browsing netflix.com on my laptop isn't broken. It is better and more efficient than anything I've seen on XBMC, Roku, etc.

What is broken is how to best watch the desired netflix content on my TV.

The best of both worlds, to me, would be browse netflix.com on my laptop and then somehow trigger playback to begin on the Macbook connected to my TV (the same MacBook that's otherwise running XBMC). The movie then runs on the Macbook. The laptop I used to pick the movie can then be put away.

This seems entirely possible: It just requires that the URL of the desired movie is passed on to the Macbook. I could see having Dropbox serve as the conduit, and the Macbook could watch that Dropbox folder and when a webloc file appears it opens it in the browser. Done.

To review:

1) User opens netflix.com on their laptop (or other device) and navigates to the desired content
2) User somehow initiates the play-on-remote-computer request (right-clicking on the content?)
3) The URL of the desired content is saved as a webloc file and stored in the user's Dropbox
4) Dropbox (running on remote computer) sees the change to the dropbox and downloads the webloc file
5) The remote computer is watching the user's Dropbox and sees the new file appear, and opens the file
6) System opens browser and passes in webloc file
7) Browser opens webloc file, which causes content to stream
8) User clicks a remote control button to switch netflix player to fullscreen, FLIRC receives the request and triggers the appropriate keypress

The only missing piece of this, really, is #2: how to let the user conveniently select something on Netflix so that its URL is saved as a webloc in the Dropbox folder.

Seems like a browser specific plug-in could do this, or a webmonkey script.

Anyone up for the challenge?

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) - Tim. - 2013-06-12

(2013-06-09, 23:59)pacman_d Wrote: When I go to launch a movie the screen opens in Kiosk mode, percentage bar pushes through to 100%, then BAM! "Whoops, Something went wrong... Error code: N8157-3142.

Alt-4 to get back to XBMC. Sad

I had the same problem when I was using WASAPI audio. I know it's not a perfect solution, but try DirectAudio instead. I think you'll find you will not get that error anymore.

RE: XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - sambul25 - 2013-06-13

(2013-06-12, 00:48)fogcity Wrote: Anyone up for the challenge?
I think you're missing the point here. Most people don't have a computer attached to their TV. Instead, their TV is either network aware and has DLNA client, or a network player or stick is attached to the TV. Many such players are purchased outside of US retail networks, for example on Ebay, or in Europe. They don't have Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and other services already included. That's why people are looking for a DLNA Server like XBMC Server to stream Netflix content from their PC to the TV or player.

The problem is, Netflix doesn't want people to stream their content across the house, because they make money on licensing Netflix access rights to network player manufacturers. This leaves out of Netflix most of the world, because Chinese players don't come with Netflix or Hulu. On the other hand, Netflix doesn't want to turn away large pull of XBMC & Plex users. So they create invisible problems in a way that most users can't link them to Netflix or blame Netflix for intentional desktop users blockage. Only Netflix partners like MS benefit from that, since they have no problem streaming Netflix content from WMC to Xbox.

RE: XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - fogcity - 2013-06-13

(2013-06-13, 00:26)sambul25 Wrote:
(2013-06-12, 00:48)fogcity Wrote: Anyone up for the challenge?
I think you're missing the point here. Most people don't have a computer attached to their TV. Instead, their TV is either network aware and has DLNA client, or a network player or stick is attached to the TV. Many such players are purchased outside of US retail networks, for example on Ebay, or in Europe. They don't have Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and other services already included. That's why people are looking for a DLNA Server like XBMC Server to stream Netflix content from their PC to the TV or player.

The problem is, Netflix doesn't want people to stream their content across the house, because they make money on licensing Netflix access rights to network player manufacturers. This leaves out of Netflix most of the world, because Chinese players don't come with Netflix or Hulu. On the other hand, Netflix doesn't want to turn away large pull of XBMC & Plex users. So they create invisible problems in a way that most users can't link them to Netflix or blame Netflix for intentional desktop users blockage. Only Netflix partners like MS benefit from that, since they have no problem streaming Netflix content from WMC to Xbox.

Thanks for the reply. The explanation of the why-it-doesnt-just-work was interesting.

That said, my post was specific to OSX users of XBMC, although it could apply to Windows too... so I don't think it's relevant whether those platforms represent a majority of the XBMC user base. Also, the XBMC Flicks instructions sure mention Windows and OSX, and many of the endless number of people who cannot get this plugin to work mention they're running XBMC on those platforms.

So, acknowledging that people running XBMC on a stick attached to their TV are going to be left out, does anyone have a suggestion for or solution to my original problem which is how to best cause a link from the netflix website to be saved to a specific folder (like a Dropbox folder)? Once that is solved, we would have a Netflix solution that would work for all OSX and WIndows users, and even Netflix could endorse it because it doesn't involve "streaming content across the house".

XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - sambul25 - 2013-06-13

Can't you just browse with keyboard & touchpad or Remote and play Netflix movies directly on your Macbook, which as you said is connected to your TV via DVI or another cable - so its a 2nd monitor, in Safari or Firefox browser running Silverlight plugin? What do you need the second laptop or XBMC Flicks on Macbook for? Smile

Using Flicks primarily makes sense for streaming Netflix content over LAN via XBMC DLNA Server, otherwise any web browser plays Netflix movies without issues when a PC or laptop is directly hooked to a TV - why use XBMC for that?

RE: XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - locoguano - 2013-06-13

(2013-06-13, 15:27)sambul25 Wrote: Can't you just browse with keyboard & touchpad or Remote and play Netflix movies directly on your Macbook, which as you said is connected to your TV via DVI or another cable - so its a 2nd monitor, in Safari or Firefox browser running Silverlight plugin? What do you need the second laptop or XBMC Flicks on Macbook for? Smile

Using Flicks primarily makes sense for streaming Netflix content over LAN via XBMC DLNA Server, otherwise any web browser plays Netflix movies without issues when a PC or laptop is directly hooked to a TV - why use XBMC for that?

Because I like to have all of my media listed in one library. I export Hulu, Amazon, and XBMC Flicks to my library alongside my local content.

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - saitoh183 - 2013-06-13

I use mediahint in chrome and FF to be able to view netflix US from Canada. Can this addon utilize this so i can also view US content via XBMC? Does XBMCFlix use IE in the background and if so could i replace it by chrome?

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - jfg84 - 2013-06-13

I followed the steps for an API and I can see my queue but it doesn't play. This doesn't seem to be the problem that others are having so maybe I'm doing something else wrong. When I look at the log, I see that XBMCFlix went through every episode of every season with this error:

10:42:06 T:3916 WARNING: CVideoInfoTag::GetDurationFromMinuteString <runtime> should be in minutes. Interpreting '0' as 0 minutes
10:42:06 T:3916 NOTICE:
1371138126827: end addlink

and then this:

10:42:07 T:2112 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:08 T:5852 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
10:42:08 T:4196 ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:08 T:4196 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
10:42:08 T:5852 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html]
10:42:08 T:4528 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:40 T:5852 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
10:42:40 T:1788 ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:40 T:1788 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
10:42:40 T:5852 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html]
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting

RE: XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - fogcity - 2013-06-13

(2013-06-13, 15:27)sambul25 Wrote: Can't you just browse with keyboard & touchpad or Remote and play Netflix movies directly on your Macbook, which as you said is connected to your TV via DVI or another cable - so its a 2nd monitor, in Safari or Firefox browser running Silverlight plugin? What do you need the second laptop or XBMC Flicks on Macbook for? Smile

First off, I'm using an old Macbook as my media center, because it was "free" and because XBMC running on it was in most respects a more responsive and better interface than a Roku or WD TV Play.

I am also using that Macbook to play Netflix and yes I can walk over to that laptop, or tunnel into it using VNC, and bring up a browser and find the movie and set it fullscreen or whatever. But that doesn't pass the girlfriend test. She wants the media center computer out of view, she doesn't get why you'd be walking back and forth across the room when you have a remote control, and isn't gonna get comfortable with VNC any time soon.

Meanwhile we both have primary laptops that are still in active service as our primary computers, and we both are comfy with sitting on the couch and navigating netflix.com on those laptops. We just want to watch the content on our TV.

Yes, we could just plug a long ass HDMI cord into either laptop and start playing the movie, and have been doing this, but this barely passes the girlfriend test as the long cable has a tendency to look messy as well. Plus it just seems weird to not be able to tell the media center Macbook to play the movie. Besides, I have a computer already tethered to the TV. Why keep plugging another one into the system and unplugging it afterwards? Seems like an engineering fail to me.

(2013-06-13, 15:27)sambul25 Wrote: Using Flicks primarily makes sense for streaming Netflix content over LAN via XBMC DLNA Server, otherwise any web browser plays Netflix movies without issues when a PC or laptop is directly hooked to a TV - why use XBMC for that?

OK this I don't entirely understand. I thought Flicks just gives you the ability to choose Netflix content from within XBMC, and when you hit Play it launches a browser which plays the movie in the browser. From that point, you are looking at Silverlight playing in Safari or whatever and XBMC is doing nothing other than maybe waiting for you to be finished. No? What am I missing?

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental - hunkyn - 2013-06-13

The solution works great for me and i could not be happier. Thanks for a detailed step by step instructions.

RE: XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC - sambul25 - 2013-06-14

(2013-06-13, 19:30)fogcity Wrote: What am I missing?
We don't seem to understand each other:

- I can't get, why you can't play Netlfix in a browser on your Macbook, which is anyway always hooked to the TV?

- You can't get the (re)streaming part. Meanwhile, if Netflix were to work properly in XBMC, you can use XBMC.MyLibrary plugin to scan its content into XBMC Media Library, and then stream it over WIFI with XBMC Media Server to your Macbook acting as DLNA Client. That's how you can get rid off that long HDMI cable. Smile But that solution is more suitable, if instead of a computer you have a (far less smart and capable) network player hooked to your TV.

(2013-06-13, 16:24)locoguano Wrote: Because I like to have all of my media listed in one library. I export Hulu, Amazon, and XBMC to my library alongside my local content.
How do you export Netflix content from XBMC (Media Library?) to a PC Media Library? Once exported, is it possible to stream that content to a network player with Windows PlayTo feature (DLNA Server)?

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - sambul25 - 2013-06-14

(2013-06-13, 17:50)jfg84 Wrote: I followed the steps for an API and I can see my queue but it doesn't play.
What exact symptoms do you see on screen? In my case, when I select and start a Netflix movie in XBMC Flicks, Silverlight is loaded, and opens a red screen downloading the movie without any download progress forever. Smile

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - locoguano - 2013-06-14

(2013-06-13, 17:50)jfg84 Wrote: I followed the steps for an API and I can see my queue but it doesn't play. This doesn't seem to be the problem that others are having so maybe I'm doing something else wrong. When I look at the log, I see that XBMCFlix went through every episode of every season with this error:

10:42:06 T:3916 WARNING: CVideoInfoTag::GetDurationFromMinuteString <runtime> should be in minutes. Interpreting '0' as 0 minutes
10:42:06 T:3916 NOTICE:
1371138126827: end addlink

and then this:

10:42:07 T:2112 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
10:42:08 T:4196 ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:08 T:4196 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
10:42:08 T:4196 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
10:42:08 T:5852 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html]
10:42:08 T:4528 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
10:42:08 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
10:42:40 T:1788 ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html
10:42:40 T:1788 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
10:42:40 T:1788 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
10:42:40 T:5852 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [C:\Users\gillson\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\links\70080669.html]
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
10:42:40 T:5852 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting

Just throwing out a guess... did you setup your playercorefactory.xml to play .html links in the browser?

RE: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - saitoh183 - 2013-06-14

There are many post in this thread about getting this up and working with the current state of thing (no more api keys) . Can some one point me to which posts we need to follow (in order) to get this working and maybe what part of the OP is relevant or not.

ok..following tim's post

in step5 do we have to put the 2 periods that come after the key before the "&"?

ie: oauth_token=BQAJAAEDEC78ktyrgoL9O6DP0p0QbH1A-WEs0kEz0n0KVJjpNNLcLn6usDZSDwId_GGtn3r_dpAjxsJOs4nVFnuFBk4POwHLRFXWGFA..&user_id=