Kodi Community Forum
KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control (OpenNI based open source project for Windows) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control (OpenNI based open source project for Windows) (/showthread.php?tid=87663)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

- touser - 2011-01-07

I'm unable to change the keymap at all, has anyone else run into this problem? Setting Up and Down in the midplane to VolumeUp and VolumeDown has no affect, same with changing those options to any other key. Thank you for your great work so far!

- thekow - 2011-01-08

Hey mate , Any idea when a source is going to be released. I have someone ready to convert it to a linux driver Smile. Which is what i'm desperately after Smile

- succo - 2011-01-08

as far as i can remember, it doesn't work under linux (and osx) within mono because of the ManagedNite.dll using mixed code, but now nite has gone c# so, i think the code could be adapted to the new Nite wrapper (unstable .18) and openni (unstable .25)
i tried today but couldn't resolve some problems, but i bet it would be possible

- Johnsel - 2011-01-08

That's some f*ing good news, when did they release that!? Totally missed it, look out for linux support trough mono soon then!

- succo - 2011-01-08

i see it's been released on jan 6th... you can find what you need at openni.org, but i'm struggling with some missing classes like the selectableslider2dhovereventargs, which is completely missing from nite.net and some others

- llotas - 2011-01-09

yes i have enabled everything on xbmc. The interesting thing is that if i choose the "custom" option in the kinemote box and switch to xbmc, it does recognize my gestures but poorly and without feedback when i move my hand to different planes. so what do i do to make xmbc or boxee recognise kinect?

- Johnsel - 2011-01-13

If Custom works for you but XBMC mode doesn't it can't connect to XBMC's eventserver, which most likely is caused by incorrect firewall settings.

- Johnsel - 2011-01-24

We’re happy to announce the release of KinEmote Public Beta 0.4 which brings a list of new features and enhancements to KinEmote users. We’ve been listening to your feedback on the KinEmote community forums and have tried to implement the most useful requests into this build to make KinEmote more fun, intuitive and functional.

The most significant new feature is ‘Virtual Mouse’ mode. We have spent many hours testing and tweaking the Virtual Mouse movement to be as smooth and natural as possible especially for the higher screen resolutions more typically found in gaming PC’s and Home Theater PC’s

There has also been a lot of work on feedback notifications making it far easier for KinEmote users to know what control planes they are using and when they are initiating and closing hand tracking sessions.

New features and enhancements in version 0.4 beta

- Virtual Mouse mode with push-to-click action.
- Enhanced visual notifications in Boxee and XBMC.
- Choice of ‘push’ or ‘wrist wave’ to initiate hand tracking sessions.
- Audio notifications for session start, front plane, back plane and session end.
- Enhanced video feedback panel.
- HUD style indicators on video feedback that react to menu navigation and plane selection.
- Camera LED notifications – off when inactive, green for front plane, red for back plane.
- Xbox Kinect motor control to adjust the angle of your camera.
- Completely revised settings menus for simple intuitive configuration.
- Updated main user interface.

KinEmote is free to download from the download section of the KinEmote community forums HERE

We hope you’ll love this new version

Brother Joel & Brother John

- succo - 2011-01-24

so now this is using new openni/nite wrappers?
so maybe this will build in mono and work in linux, won't this?
i see there is still no source in github, could it be added for us to try? Smile
btw, nice work!

- Jebuzz - 2011-01-26

Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?

I followed the install directions, but I can't find the actual app to use it with anything and the PDF tutorial was no help.

- Niclas7 - 2011-01-29

Wow ! Great news. Just came back from holidays (skiing) and now reading about the new release.
Thanks Johnsel for the work and for implementing the communitie's proposals and wishes.
Looking forward to try it tomorrow.
Anything to mind when upgrading from my current installation ?

- Niclas7 - 2011-02-02

Ok, I just updated my installation and am excited about the functionality of the new release.
Tracking seems to be much more sensitive and exact so you don't need to stiffly hold your hand up all the time but nearly being able to "wipe" for scrolling up and down in lists. Also hand recognition in the planes seems to be more precise.
Great !

Only the color of the LED doesn't change depending of the current plane (mid/back). It stays blinking green.

Further on: how can I access the Kinect motor to move the device up and down ?
I'm running the KinEmote UI 0.3 which doesn't provide a way to do so.

**EDIT**

Ok, just realized that I oversaw the download link for KinEmote 0.4 on your site.
Unfortunately visitors have to register to download. Sad
This means another registration, activation, account......beyond countless others. Sad

- Knolly - 2011-02-22

Just read through most of the thread so I know the idea has been tossed about, but my imagination is making me post anyway. With the Kinect SDK coming out soon, maybe a higher resolution capture could be obtained that would let you do better individual finger tracking?

My dream Minority Report control scheme would be something like:
- Two fingers out and flick in a direction to scroll with acceleration/momentum in lists like multitouch smartphone UIs have these days.
- To stop somewhere in a list, spread out all of your fingers (as dramatically as possible of course Tongue)
- Push motion to select things.
- Use two hands and do a reverse-pinch motion (like zooming out on multitouch) to go back a menu.
- And so on.

I don't have an 360, but methinks I might need to get a Kinect soon with all of the awesome stuff it's churning out.

- snoopdobb - 2011-02-26

Just want to bump this thread. The work you guys are doing is totally awesome! The only reason I bought a Kinect when I was in the US over the holidays was to use it to control my (linux) HTPC. I'm also living in NL, and have a quite a bit of Linux experience. I'd love to help out in a linux port of this project, or in any way I can. I currently don't have any Windows machines to test on, though I do have a Virtual Box instance that I'll try to use to test the existing implementation... Wink

- snoopdobb - 2011-02-27

I managed to get OpenNI, Sensor driver, and NITE up and running on my Ubuntu 10.10 HTPC. All the NITE sensor demos (samples) are working properly. I also just signed up for the kinemote.net site, and will have a go at building the project under Linux today. Big Grin