Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=88518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- Metsadah - 2011-02-01

anybody else experiencing some occasional crashes. For me its about every 2 days. Didnt check the logs yet btw.

Also, how can I disable that the apple tv is going to search for updates while starting. Is it going to update to the latest stable release every restart (for xbmc and broadcom drivers). I'd prefer to update myself and Im not sure about the automatic updating.

- Metsadah - 2011-02-01

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Just add either the reboot or shutdown command to the bottom of rc.local (sudo echo "reboot" >> /etc/rc.local). When XBMC exits, it will execute

It's not working for me, I tried it above exit 0 and under. The line I added was:

echo atv | sudo -S reboot

But I still get back to the bash

- vitals817 - 2011-02-01

hey guys
I have been trying and trying to get this to work and reading like know other for about 4 days now and still know luck .I have tried both sams and pin87a disk imgs .I used usb tool to make the usb drive .I have my box plugged into my router .Ok heres the problem i cant get either one of the imgs to fully boot .just gets stuck before xbmc comes up .

the only error i see is
/dev/sdb2 does not exist .dropping to a shell

thanks guys

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-02-01

Because you're sudoing.

Why?
rc.local is executed with root privilleges.

- tuckbodi - 2011-02-06

vitals817 Wrote:hey guys
I have been trying and trying to get this to work and reading like know other for about 4 days now and still know luck .I have tried both sams and pin87a disk imgs .I used usb tool to make the usb drive .I have my box plugged into my router .Ok heres the problem i cant get either one of the imgs to fully boot .just gets stuck before xbmc comes up .

the only error i see is
/dev/sdb2 does not exist .dropping to a shell

thanks guys
What size stick? I think I remember that happening to me with a "smaller" 4gb stick of mine and worked when I went with a bigger stick.

- sar_scarab - 2011-02-06

I have Sam's image running fairly well on the ATV HDD for about 6 weeks, still using the Ubuntu 8.04(Hardy) and SVN 28256.

The audio on every movie I stream to XBMC has an electronic chattering sound, almost like a toy machine-gun? This used to be intermittent like once in a great while but now it happens on every movie I stream to the unit. Has anyone experienced this? How did you fix it?

Lastly should I upgrade from the SVN 28256?
Thanks

- kar200 - 2011-02-07

sar_scarab Wrote:I have Sam's image running fairly well on the ATV HDD for about 6 weeks, still using the Ubuntu 8.04(Hardy) and SVN 28256.

The audio on every movie I stream to XBMC has an electronic chattering sound, almost like a toy machine-gun? This used to be intermittent like once in a great while but now it happens on every movie I stream to the unit. Has anyone experienced this? How did you fix it?

Lastly should I upgrade from the SVN 28256?
Thanks

Are you using HDMI? if yes I fixed mine by changing the output from HDMI to analog 2.0. I only use the TV's speakers so it is fine with me.

Make sure on the bottom you have plughw:0,3 (which you would have anyway).

I also noticed (unrelated) that running apt-get upgrade has a kernel image to upgrade. This is what made my screen go pink and had to do it all over to fix it. The weired thign is that the kernel version is the same - I wonder if the one Sam's use has been modified in any way.

K.

- sar_scarab - 2011-02-07

Yes I am using HDMI. I will check to the analog 2 and see what happens as I am using the LCD's speaker system as well.

The wierd part for me is that it worked great at first with no problem. I seem to recall a post by Mr. Davilla saying that .avi's were painful and I think he also mentioned that pulse audio was not friendly either. Not his exact words of course. I can't find anything else on this other that what was in Sam Nazarko's thread of his build.

I am not updating the kernel at all unless it becomes a must do thing. I don't do this type of work for a living and it would take me two days to rebuild the little machine.

I am also trying to find out if upgrading to a later version of XBMC Live would help errors, buffering, crashes etc. I have been living with those things also on an intermittent basis. Some folks have solid stable ATV's and I have one that is about 2/3rds the way there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that when I can get my girlfriend off the LCD.

- kar200 - 2011-02-07

sar_scarab Wrote:Yes I am using HDMI. I will check to the analog 2 and see what happens as I am using the LCD's speaker system as well.

The wierd part for me is that it worked great at first with no problem. I seem to recall a post by Mr. Davilla saying that .avi's were painful and I think he also mentioned that pulse audio was not friendly either. Not his exact words of course. I can't find anything else on this other that what was in Sam Nazarko's thread of his build.

I am not updating the kernel at all unless it becomes a must do thing. I don't do this type of work for a living and it would take me two days to rebuild the little machine.

I am also trying to find out if upgrading to a later version of XBMC Live would help errors, buffering, crashes etc. I have been living with those things also on an intermittent basis. Some folks have solid stable ATV's and I have one that is about 2/3rds the way there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that when I can get my girlfriend off the LCD.

I have had the same issue with the loud machine gun noise (like some called it here Smile) since the latest version of XBMC was installed on my ATV. It started on the original software of the ATV with OSX and even after moving to Linux. The good thing is that with Linux at least the Analogue version works which it does not with the OSX version. Sam's image (as well as openelec) run so much better on the ATV than the original software hence I installed it directly on the HDD.

Let us know how you go,

K.

- Wikking - 2011-02-07

@Sam

I'm still trying to get an TP-LINK TL-WN821N USB-WLAN stick to work which is supposed to be using the ath9k_htc driver (compact-wireless). But still the system refuses to load the *.fw firmware-file belonging to the chipset of the device which is correctly located in /lib/firmware.

Code:
usb 2-1.4: ath9k_htc: Firmware - ar7010_1_1.fw not found

The first question is again: You got any idea why this happens or how to resolve this?

Second question is: In one forum the told me to upgrade the Kernel to Mainline Kernel v2.6.36-rc7-maverick. I did this by installing the provided deb-packages (i386) but the system still loads the old 2.6.24-28-generic. So is there a possibility to upgrade the Kernel myself or not. And if so what am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

- sar_scarab - 2011-02-07

@kar200, I am traveling this week and it won't be until next Saturday before I can work on this again.

I'll sure let you know what happens, it irritates to me to no end when someone asks for help, gets it and never reports back. grrrrrrr

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-02-07

Wikking Wrote:@Sam

I'm still trying to get an TP-LINK TL-WN821N USB-WLAN stick to work which is supposed to be using the ath9k_htc driver (compact-wireless). But still the system refuses to load the *.fw firmware-file belonging to the chipset of the device which is correctly located in /lib/firmware.

Code:
usb 2-1.4: ath9k_htc: Firmware - ar7010_1_1.fw not found

The first question is again: You got any idea why this happens or how to resolve this?

Second question is: In one forum the told me to upgrade the Kernel to Mainline Kernel v2.6.36-rc7-maverick. I did this by installing the provided deb-packages (i386) but the system still loads the old 2.6.24-28-generic. So is there a possibility to upgrade the Kernel myself or not. And if so what am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Maverick kernel == you performed distribution upgrade! That will break the HDMI sound.

If you upgrade kernel, you must recompile mach_kernel which boot.efi loads. This involves recompiling atv-bootloader with the initrd.img and vmlinuz of the new kernel.

- Wikking - 2011-02-07

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Maverick kernel == you performed distribution upgrade! That will break the HDMI sound.

If you upgrade kernel, you must recompile mach_kernel which boot.efi loads. This involves recompiling atv-bootloader with the initrd.img and vmlinuz of the new kernel.

I'm pretty sure that this is way more than my limited knowledge of linux would allow me to do!

So you basically mean that there's nothing I can do? I can't upgrade because that will break HDMI and I can't get wifi / ath9k_htc working because the firmware files are not found (and that's maybe just the first problem....though maybe also the last ^^)?! Damn it! I got RF-Control, USB-automount with NTFS, CHD and maybe even airfoilspeakers but there seems to be no way of getting wifi working.

I still love what you have done Sam! Thank you for that. Seem I have to find another way or live without wifi.

- Metsadah - 2011-02-08

For me smb file sharing suddenly stopped working, I can still connect via mac os x, but it doesnt work on my iphone and atv. I didnt change anything on my computer or atv. I editted sources.xml with ip adresses and disabled the use of passwords, and disabled my firewall. But still nothing.

- calev - 2011-02-08

sorry wrong thread