Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=88518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- pumkinut - 2011-02-11

Well, I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. I have Sam's image installed onto the ATV HDD and dual boot between it and the ATV OS (Thumbdrive in == Sam's Image...Thumbdrive out == ATV OS). Everything was running just fine, until I had to power cycle the ATV a couple of times due to XBMC freezing up on some Internet video feeds.

Fast forward to last night, I had to reboot again, did it via SSH, and now when I go to play a video file, all that I tried, it plays, but I get the screen flashing several times before playback actually starts. It works, but I have a sneaky feeling that this is a symptom of something worse. One thing I might try is an fsck of the partition where I have Sam's image booting from, but if I run into some corruption that can't be fixed, what's the best way to just reinstall? Should I go for a full raze and pave, i.e. format and a complete reinstall? Or, should I just try reinstalling XBMC?

If it's the latter choice, can I just do a:
Code:
#sudo apt-get remove xbmc*
#sudo apt-get install xbmc*
Or should I perform a purge and redownload Dharma starting from scratch?

- GuySie - 2011-02-14

pumkinut Wrote:Fast forward to last night, I had to reboot again, did it via SSH, and now when I go to play a video file, all that I tried, it plays, but I get the screen flashing several times before playback actually starts. It works, but I have a sneaky feeling that this is a symptom of something worse.

I'm running Pin's image and this happens to me every so often, seemingly as a result of running too many HD videos and the CrystalHD card deciding to bugger off and memleaking to oblivion. Odd thing is, it doesn't seem to simply go away after a reboot - but it'll be gone if I just go off and let it rest for a while (without a reboot, even). Have a semi-theory that it might be heat related too, which would explain the 'cooldown' period.

But anyway, I've had this since I installed Pin's image and the setup still runs just fine for me. And though the flashing wait is annoying, it still plays your video's fine.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-02-14

Adjust refresh rate to match video -- is that on?

- pumkinut - 2011-02-14

GuySie Wrote:I'm running Pin's image and this happens to me every so often, seemingly as a result of running too many HD videos and the CrystalHD card deciding to bugger off and memleaking to oblivion. Odd thing is, it doesn't seem to simply go away after a reboot - but it'll be gone if I just go off and let it rest for a while (without a reboot, even). Have a semi-theory that it might be heat related too, which would explain the 'cooldown' period.

But anyway, I've had this since I installed Pin's image and the setup still runs just fine for me. And though the flashing wait is annoying, it still plays your video's fine.
After posting, I ended up rebooting, and, so far, the behavior hasn't returned.

Quote:Adjust refresh rate to match video -- is that on?
No, I believe I have that turned off. I'll check when I get home tonight.

- GuySie - 2011-02-15

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Adjust refresh rate to match video -- is that on?

It is on my system, actually. Might have to do with that?

- MasterOe - 2011-02-17

Now i'm trying this image after using pin78's for long time ,

but now i get problems and perhaps someone can help:

1. How can i start and stop xbmc with shell:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc* stop does not exist hereBlush..

2. Where can i take out the automatic update on every boot - Where can i find the start script?
It would speed up the boot ...

3. Shutdown and Restart in XBMC does not work. How to fix?

thanks for all replys !

masteroe

- Paulkai - 2011-02-17

What is the difference between SAMs image for atv, and the one the openelec use

- wan0b1 - 2011-02-17

Hey guys,

short time stalker, first time poster here.

I have XBMC loading on my ATV and works fine, but I have installed my Crystalhd card and managed to install the drivers, but as most I want to play what few 1080p movies I have. So I installed Sam's image on a 8gig thumb drive and it will boot into XBMC. My problem/question is when I go to add sources for my movies I select Windows SMB ( as I have before ) and select my network and my pc but it will never connect just spins working....

Can anyone shed some light on how to fix this? I can connect to my pc with XBMC on my ATV.

TIA

P.S. I greatly appreciate all the hard work that has been done with XBMC and these images.

Figured it out...Just had to manually add it. working well other than a resolution issue, but I think I found the link to address that.

- Metsadah - 2011-03-06

Is Sams Image updating while starting the atv also updating xbmc to the latest nightlies? If yes, how to disable it?

- kar200 - 2011-03-06

Metsadah Wrote:Is Sams Image updating while starting the atv also updating xbmc to the latest nightlies? If yes, how to disable it?

I don't think it updates to te nightlies (Sam cab confirm obviously).

I saw 2 files in the ATV home folder. As the name suggests they are to enable and disable updates. I suppose if you run the disable one it should disable the auto updating.

Also I want to ask again, how do I run anything from terminal/SSH and display it on the main screen (HDMI)? When I try it tells me cannot find display or soemthing like that. I am sure it would be just a simple command line?

- BDPNA - 2011-03-06

No nightlies....I'm desperate for a running ATV 1 image that I can update to nightlies. I can't use MySQL anymore on my Apple TV one since updating my other boxes to the nightly builds.

Keep hoping for 10.1 to show any day now so the DB finally works on all installs again.

- Metsadah - 2011-03-12

anybody any issues with 10.1? Is it safe to update?

- kar200 - 2011-03-12

Metsadah Wrote:anybody any issues with 10.1? Is it safe to update?

Mine did not ask me and while rebooting it just updated.

No issues so far with it and seems a bit smoother (to me anyway). I changelog did not show anything I was experiencing anyway.

K.

Ubuntu release version? - Agin - 2011-03-15

Can't seem to find out which distro the new image is based on.

Is it still Hardy due to HDMI audio support? If yes, would it be possible to also distribute ISOs with a newer release... for those who doesn't need HDMI audio.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-03-15

Hardy,
Arch release later too