Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Aeon Nox 2.0 (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon Nox: Silvo (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Aeon Nox 2.0 (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=89151)

- casperse - 2011-06-01

TV Shows with season poster cover problem?

For some reason I cant get the "Season 0" or "Special" folder working with Covers?

Normally there is two ways.

Season 0
season01.tbn

or

Special
season-specials.tbn

None of them are working, not sure if this is a skin issue or XBMC build issue?
(I only have the NOX skin ;-)

I am using the MetaBrowser 2.0 to create the files so all should be following XBMC standard

- JDizzy - 2011-06-01

Hmm How to explain:

Just updated skin through Addon.

When playing music, Home screen, fanart visualization, the next 5/10 song playlist is not showing up.

- Galactus - 2011-06-01

JDizzy Wrote:Hmm How to explain:

Just updated skin through Addon.

When playing music, Home screen, fanart visualization, the next 5/10 song playlist is not showing up.

Read the first post in this thread. You will find your answer there.

- BigNoid - 2011-06-01

AeonNoxFan Wrote:3. Oh you use them from the "Black" variation of Aeon65? Well, can you please bundle the Light version as well, and make that a selectable option under System > Appearance > Skin > Theme? I never even noticed that Aeon65 had a black variation. It's pretty terrible. Just look at this: http://imgur.com/a/UXMNE (Nox Black at the top, Aeon65 Default at the bottom). The checkboxes in the "Black" variation blend into the background quite well on my calibrated computer monitors (I'm a designer), and the projector in turn has crushed blacks so they are absolutely *invisible* on the projector. I really need the lighter background, and I am sure other users do too. It's bad enough looking at black checkboxes on a black background on a computer, but with a projector with crushed blacks you can just forget about seeing the checkboxes. The options look like regular text lines without a checkbox. Please bundle the lighter "Default" backgrounds from Aeon65 and make it switchable under Theme. Should be quite easy?
I've been playing with that idea for quite some time now and made preparations for that a long time ago. It is however not easy. Yes replacing the panels is easy, but there are a lot more things that need replacing if I make the light theme. (plus: it's kinda the start point of this skin, to have the dark theme, hence the name Aeon Nox Wink)
casperse Wrote:TV Shows with season poster cover problem?

For some reason I cant get the "Season 0" or "Special" folder working with Covers?

Normally there is two ways.

Season 0
season01.tbn

or

Special
season-specials.tbn

None of them are working, not sure if this is a skin issue or XBMC build issue?
(I only have the NOX skin ;-)

I am using the MetaBrowser 2.0 to create the files so all should be following XBMC standard
Don't think I can influence that with the skin, you can always try in confluence, but i'll be suprised if it works there and not in this skin,

- Shinu - 2011-06-01

how do u change themes in the stable branch version? i can't be changed under appearance settings.

- BigNoid - 2011-06-02

Shinu Wrote:how do u change themes in the stable branch version? i can't be changed under appearance settings.

It's not included in svn/git, cause it's not allowed for official repo to have .xbt files. I'll put some links up later.

EDIT:
Place in media folder:
Neon65 theme: http://aeon--nox.googlecode.com/files/Neon65.xbt
White theme: http://aeon--nox.googlecode.com/files/White.xbt

- drivesoslow - 2011-06-02

Big_Noid Wrote:Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesoslow View Post
I went ahead and deleted the next aired script since I don't use it.

There are a couple of other issues/suggestions:

#1 I cannot turn the studio logos off, or I should say I turn them off but they stay.
#2 It would be nice to be able to turn off the 'watched' check marks like you can in Aeon65

They should be disabled, expect for the infowall and panel view. TV Logo's can't be disabled yet.
Watched flags can be turned off in the media menu.

Unless I'm missing something I cannot get rid of the studio logos. Under viewtype I have Hide studio and rating flags enabled. But the studio logos still appear in the List view.

Also I do not see an option to turn the watched flags off in the media menu. I know the option is in the media menu of Aeon65, but I do not see it here.

I should mention that I am using the git version.

- BigNoid - 2011-06-02

Shinu Wrote:how do u change themes in the stable branch version? i can't be changed under appearance settings.

drivesoslow Wrote:Unless I'm missing something I cannot get rid of the studio logos. Under viewtype I have Hide studio and rating flags enabled. But the studio logos still appear in the List view.

Also I do not see an option to turn the watched flags off in the media menu. I know the option is in the media menu of Aeon65, but I do not see it here.

I should mention that I am using the git version.

Forgot about the list view...can't disable it there also. Maybe some background info, the option was originally only intended for the showcase views. So that's why it's not consistent throughout the skin.
The option is there (scroll down) but it only is visible in views that have the green watched flags with the text watched. The normal watched indicators, like those in list view can't be disabled. Might be a good idea to be able to hide these also.

- drivesoslow - 2011-06-02

Big_Noid Wrote:Forgot about the list view...can't disable it there also. Maybe some background info, the option was originally only intended for the showcase views. So that's why it's not consistent throughout the skin.
The option is there (scroll down) but it only is visible in views that have the green watched flags with the text watched. The normal watched indicators, like those in list view can't be disabled. Might be a good idea to be able to hide these also.

I'd love to have the option if it's not to hard to add. But again the studio flags are permanently on too.

Thanks

- Shinu - 2011-06-02

Big_Noid Wrote:It's not included in svn/git, cause it's not allowed for official repo to have .xbt files. I'll put some links up later.

EDIT:
Place in media folder:
Neon65 theme: http://aeon--nox.googlecode.com/files/Neon65.xbt
White theme: http://aeon--nox.googlecode.com/files/White.xbt

kewl. thanx Noid.

- Rififi77 - 2011-06-02

hello,
I see you've made ​​the changes to the addon.xml, thank you but you forgot a line.

Code:
<summary lang="fr">Aeon Nox par Big_Noid</summary>

@+

- damned - 2011-06-02

I'll try and get that debug log to you today as soon as I can get the kids off the media center. . .

- AeonNoxFan - 2011-06-02

Edit June 2nd, 2011: Turns out that the extreme darkness is due to an Intel graphics output bug under Linux, causing it to output the desktop as 0-255 instead of 16-235, leading to crushed blacks and overly bright whites, which together with an already dark skin makes the graphics incredibly dark; if this affects you, see the discussion on page 163 for details (in particular this post).

Big_Noid Wrote:I've been playing with that idea for quite some time now and made preparations for that a long time ago. It is however not easy. Yes replacing the panels is easy, but there are a lot more things that need replacing if I make the light theme. (plus: it's kinda the start point of this skin, to have the dark theme, hence the name Aeon Nox Wink)

Alright, I see your point. Then let's brighten the Checkboxes, Up/Down selector rockers, and text input outlines, for instance by making their outlines much brighter, or brightening the whole input object. That way they cannot become invisible. Laugh That would be a very simple but good fix. It's a serious problem right now since most projectors and TVs crush blacks a bit to make colors "pop" more (it increases the contrast), so it's quite a problem not to be able to see text input outlines, Up/Down selectors and checkboxes.

Edit: Heck, I would brighten *all* graphics resources by 10-20 percent (input devices, backgrounds, overlays, everything). That would make sure they render very nicely on all projectors and TVs, while still remaining *completely* true to their "black" nature. When designing content for display on TVs, there's a firm rule about NEVER making things sit in the lowest-end of the brightness spectrum, since it is SURE to get crushed on most TVs.

By simply brightening every resource a *tiny* bit, you ensure that they will look fantastic on all devices. That's a guarantee.

- Choque - 2011-06-02

Calibrate your TV and everything is fine. Of course if your TV is not calibrated and the black level is way off you could have problems. I don't have any problem seeing the up/down selectors or checkboxes or whatsoever.

- AeonNoxFan - 2011-06-02

Edit June 2nd, 2011: Turns out that the extreme darkness is due to an Intel graphics output bug under Linux, causing it to output the desktop as 0-255 instead of 16-235, leading to crushed blacks and overly bright whites, which together with an already dark skin makes the graphics incredibly dark; if this affects you, see the discussion on page 163 for details (in particular this post).

Choque Wrote:Calibrate your TV and everything is fine. Of course if your TV is not calibrated and the black level is way off you could have problems. I don't have any problem seeing the up/down selectors or checkboxes or whatsoever.

Why even talk about something you don't understand?

Anyway, the NTSC Broadcast standard specifies that Blacks may be no darker than 7.5 ire and Whites may be no lighter than 100 ire ( http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#Setup). Most TV sets/projectors intentionally crush blacks both to increase contrast (to make colors "pop"), and to ensure that NTSC blacks look black instead of gray.

The problem comes in when you had a ill-informedly designed skin like the "Aeon Black" theme, where the blacks are illegal (no, that's not a racist joke, hehe), far under what's legal for TV material, which in turn causes everything to be crushed into one black mess.

The solution is to brighten every black graphics resource by 10-20 percent, as I said above.

If this skin had been submitted to a broadcast TV station as artwork to be displayed on the air, it would have been rejected on technical grounds. No matter how beautiful it is, its blacks are illegal and will appear crushed on most television sets.

This is one of the most basic laws of designing content for television.

Here's how to compress your photoshop document luma and chroma range to be within spec: http://www.movingpicture.com/news/2005/09/ntsc_safe_in_ad.html

There's also a filter under Filter > Video > NTSC Safe to simulate display on an NTSC television, but it's not a great guide since televisions are usually much darker than that.