Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux (/showthread.php?tid=90410)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- vikjon0 - 2011-02-20

Quote:the zip version for "without internet" is working, but i can't install the connection..
I don't know what that means. Please post a log file.

Please note: If wicd is not seeing your network there is absolute no chance this add-on will work. I am using the same wicd-deamon as the wcid-curses.

- tefnut - 2011-02-21

i can clearly see my home network, i can input my password, but i can't save.

- vikjon0 - 2011-02-21

Quote:i can clearly see my home network, i can input my password, but i can't save.

You mean that it works when connected but not after reboot?
Normally wicd automatically saves a network on connect.

- tefnut - 2011-02-21

ok so that's the same error that i've with the command line installation Sad
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=729666&postcount=43
the problem is related to startup service.. :/
where can i read startup service logs?

- vikjon0 - 2011-02-21

wicd-curses seem to be incorrectly installed.
Also you cannot have network manager installed at the same at wicd. Normally it will be automatically uninstalled but perhaps that is only working correctly with wicd gnome.

I need to add a test in my add-on to abort if network-manager is installed.
For your case I have no solution except that you need to cleanup/start over.

- tefnut - 2011-02-22

network manager isn't installed

i'm pretty sure that restart isn't the correct solution. At first installation i had the same problem
I will continue investigate, if i found a solution i will let u know

- Raqueem - 2011-02-24

Raqueem Wrote:I agree. You add-on seems to work just fine. Something is wrong with the wifi detection (hardware I suppose).

Any, thx for the add-on, it looks great ... now to figure out how to get the wifi working Big Grin

I gave up trying to be intelligent, so I've just installed Windows 7 Angry. All works fine now. (start-up, remote, suspend, subtitles, sound, the works .. )

- adam71o - 2011-02-26

I just did a clean install of xbmc live 10. I immediately
Quote:sudo apt-get update
. Then I installed v0.0.5. I had no problems installing the add-on following the instructions in the first post. My problem is that when I join my wpa2 secured wlan the machine only half-way joins the network. After that it can download/stream on-line content, but it cannot access network shares and I cannot ping it or ssh to it from other lan machines. The wireless network works fine with other devices.

In ifconfig that the wlan0 has a valid lan ip.

Whatever the issue is, this machine cannot access network shares.

How is this even possible? I've never seen this happen; where a machine can access the web, but not access other lan machines (on a simple home network). All lan machines, including the machine in question, have 192.168.2.x ip's and 255.255.255.0 subnet masks.

update: I just found that I can ping the machine using the router's webmin ping tool, but still cannot ping from other lan machines, wireless or wired.

update 2: I can install ubuntu 10 and the network works perfectly, able to access all network shares.

- zanix - 2011-02-26

This looks good
I just got a new media pc, a zotax zbox hd-nd22 and it has built in wireless
I'll check this out after I install xbmc-live on it

- vikjon0 - 2011-02-26

Quote:. Then I installed v0.0.5. I had no problems installing the add-on following the instructions in the first post. My problem is that when I join my wpa2 secured wlan the machine only half-way joins the network. After that it can download/stream on-line content, but it cannot access network shares and I cannot ping it or ssh to it from other lan machines. The wireless network works fine with other devices.

I don't know. But you are 100% connected to the wireless and the rest of the information is coming from your router over dhcp.
I don't know what you mean by Ubuntu 10. I guess ubuntu desktop 10.04 or 10.10. If there is a problem it must be a bug in wicd or Ubuntu. The only one I have heard of is with win7 shares and Ubuntu.

- adam71o - 2011-02-26

vikjon0 Wrote:I don't know. But you are 100% connected to the wireless and the rest of the information is coming from your router over dhcp.
I don't know what you mean by Ubuntu 10. I guess ubuntu desktop 10.04 or 10.10. If there is a problem it must be a bug in wicd or Ubuntu. The only one I have heard of is with win7 shares and Ubuntu.

For ubuntu I'm using

ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso

I am not using windows 7 shares. My only shares are on Ubuntu and are smb shares.

- vikjon0 - 2011-02-26

Quote:ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
I am not using windows 7 shares. My only shares are on Ubuntu and are smb shares.
Ok, then it is working with 10.10+ network manager, not 10.04 + wicd.

Since I have no clue what the problem is it is hard to advice but if you want to continute to test you could:
1) Drop to console with ctrl+alt+F1 and start wice with: wicd-curses
Now you are in standard ubunru 10.04 wicd.
2) You can install 10.04 desktop cd and see if it stil works. I assume it will.

- adam71o - 2011-02-26

I have confirmed that the wireless works perfectly for ubuntu 10.10 live and 10.04 live.

- adam71o - 2011-03-02

starting wicd-curses in console and joining the lan allows, once again, access to web and ability to stream online videos but still cannot ping the machine from other lan machines and attempting to access a network share from this machine returns "error 2 share not available".

The ip and bcast addresses are valid for the network.

This is just strange, since all is well using ubuntu desktop live cd's.

- Rabenvogel - 2011-03-02

Thank you very much!
It worked like a charm!

I'm trying to set up a portable XBMC on my external Hard drive, and since my experience in Linux is nonexistent, your Addon helps me a lot!

Now I only need to get my Android remote to work, and I'm happy! Big Grin