Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-19

The hard lockup only happens when I go crazy and skip ahead a few hours very quickly. It's almost like XBMC just can't keep up and gives up. Like I said, as long as I don't skip forward too quickly it's not an issue.

In regards to the first issue, could it be because it's trying to get an episode that is short (less than 10 minutes long) and beyond the playing time. I run into this issue a few times when I'm dealing with C# when I try to grab an integer that's outside the bounds.

I'm using the latest official stable release of Dharma (XBMC 10.0 rev 35647).

Another issue I'm coming across and I'm not sure it should be considered a bug or just a feature that hasn't been added yet. When I leave pseudo tv and come back to it, it begins in the same place it began the previous time I started the addon.

Case in action: I'll start pseudo tv and it'll begin playing an episode of Firefly. I'll watch, say a couple hours and leave pseudo tv. When I come back to it, instead of continuing from where I left off, it'll begin to play the same episode of Firefly again. Speaking of this, is there a chance you could make the addon skip ahead the amount of time the addon was off?

Have you had any chance in adding some of the other skinning aspects we talked about earlier? If not that's fine. I can imagine you've been busy trying to squash these bugs.

- Jason102 - 2011-01-19

I've actually noticed the issue of not resuming properly myself. It's currently not designed to actually resume where you left off, exactly, it resumes based on the amount of time you've watched the channel. For example, if you watch for 30 minutes,you may skip all around the channel to different shows, pause, fast forward, whatever...when you enter again it will resume 30 minutes into the channel. I have seen some cases where this doesn't work exactly like it should, though. Ultimately, I'd like a proper resume where the show left off. I don't think I want to resume based on the amount of time out of the addon because if a person is watching shows in order I don't want to skip ahead several.

I'm messing with a couple of bugs at the moment. There is one where if the channel timing is just set right with the EPG then you won't be able to go forward in the EPG. Also, I did notice that sometimes I'm not setting the show that you select from the EPG, it ends up selecting the previous one. As soon as I get a couple of these done, I'll release a new version that (hopefully) won't crash for you and will have a bit more proper behavior in the EPG.

I haven't had a chance to look at skinning stuff yet...been busy with work. Plus, I want to make sure the base functionality is correct before I do that. I'm hoping it won't be long before all of the major bugs are squashed and I can look a bit more into it.

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-19

Looking forward to it mate. Definitely take your time about the skinning - we can all wait. I'm sure everyone would prefer something that works great without bugs over something that crashes all the time but looks okay. If you need any more help with testing you know where to find me. Wink

- mwkurt - 2011-01-19

Sranshaft,

Concerning your problem of the playlist playing the same episode when you restart the script. In your smart playlist do you have a rule to only include videos with a watched status of 0 or less than 1? If not, you may want to add something like this as a rule.
Also, you may want to make sure that you have "shuffle" enabled. To do this, select any video file (from either file list or library), and select Queue Item from the context menu. Then, select Now Playing... from the context menu. This brings us to the list of currently queued items.

I haven't had the opportunity to test this out yet, but am looking forward to it. Please let us know your results with the above.

Mark

- GJones - 2011-01-19

Great work thus far on this addon. I stumbled across it while looking for a good way to do something similar.

My idea was a Saturday morning addon pulling cartoons, etc. from a smart playlist and shorter material (vintage commercials, very short (< 3 minutes) animated segments into channels. This would be presented as a linear program with breaks.

I have just begun looking into it but think this addon might be pretty close to my goal. Right now I am deciding if I want the commercials or shorts to be in the library or just in a directory. I can see advantages to both sides. In the library, I could order the commercials by least played to most played and compare runtimes to add them together to hit between a minimum and maximum length for all commercials in one group.

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-19

mwkurt Wrote:Sranshaft,

Concerning your problem of the playlist playing the same episode when you restart the script. In your smart playlist do you have a rule to only include videos with a watched status of 0 or less than 1? If not, you may want to add something like this as a rule.
Also, you may want to make sure that you have "shuffle" enabled. To do this, select any video file (from either file list or library), and select Queue Item from the context menu. Then, select Now Playing... from the context menu. This brings us to the list of currently queued items.

I haven't had the opportunity to test this out yet, but am looking forward to it. Please let us know your results with the above.

Mark

No, I don't have a rule in my playlist to ignore watched shows. Why exactly would I want to do that anyway? If I added a rule to only include watched status < 1 that would ignore my entire collection. Jason's already tracked down the issue cause this problem and we'll hopefully see if the fix works as soon as it's ready.

Also all of my playlist a set to random. So the list should randomize every time it's called for. At least that's what it does when I enter the smart playlist the normal way. It's never the same twice.

Anyway, I believe you might have me confused with someone else. Psike was the one that was asking for help before regarding setting up playlists....

- mwkurt - 2011-01-19

Hello,

If you don't include a rule to not use watched shows, you'll have the problem that you are having. The same show will keep being played. If you don't want your playlist to include the shows that you have already watched, you need to add a rule to ignore already watched shows. Otherwise, shows you have watched will keep appearing on your playlist.
I don't have you confused with anyone. I was trying to help you solve a problem! I don't believe it is a problem with the script. You need to include the above rule in your playlist. If you don't believe me, Check out step two on this thread about smart playlist: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81522&highlight=smart+playlist

I wasn't confused about whom I was directing my help towards. I used your screenname and I was trying to help you out. Take my advice or don't. I don't really care. But it seems to me that you also need a little help with your playlist creation.

Mark

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-19

mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

If you don't include a rule to not use watched shows, you'll have the problem that you are having. The same show will keep being played. If you don't want your playlist to include the shows that you have already watched, you need to add a rule to ignore already watched shows. Otherwise, shows you have watched will keep appearing on your playlist.
I don't have you confused with anyone. I was trying to help you solve a problem! I don't believe it is a problem with the script. You need to include the above rule in your playlist. If you don't believe me, Check out step two on this thread about smart playlist: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81522&highlight=smart+playlist

I wasn't confused about whom I was directing my help towards. I used your screenname and I was trying to help you out. Take my advice or don't. I don't really care. But it seems to me that you also need a little help with your playlist creation.

Mark

Sorry but my ability to create playlist is quite fine. The problem I am having has nothing to do with my playlist. I never said I didn't want shows that I already watched to show up. In fact, I DO want shows I have already watched on my channels. Like I said before, my playlists work perfectly fine outside the addon generating a completely different list each time I bring it up so it's not the playlist.

Regardless...I ask again why would anyone include a rule to only include shows you have not seen unless they wanted a New Episodes channel? After watching the channel for a bit, sooner or later, the channel would be empty...that just doesn't make any sense to me.

I thank you for trying to help but I really don't think you're grasping the issue correctly. Jason's working on it and I'll leave it to him to work it out.

- mwkurt - 2011-01-19

Sranshaft,

Okay...not to beat a dead horse. But you did say the following on the last page:

Case in action: I'll start pseudo tv and it'll begin playing an episode of Firefly. I'll watch, say a couple hours and leave pseudo tv. When I come back to it, instead of continuing from where I left off, it'll begin to play the same episode of Firefly again. Speaking of this, is there a chance you could make the addon skip ahead the amount of time the addon was off?

This indicates to me that you do not want to see the same episode of Firefly over and over. This is what the watched flags in XBMC is for. If you do not want to set the watched status to = 0 as a rule in your playlist, because you will never see the show again, there is another option. You can set a specific time interval for a show to not repeat using the "last watch" rule in a playlist. If you set it to say 4 weeks, when you watch an episode it will not show up again until that time fram has expired.

I don't want to argue with anyone in the XBMC community. I just feel that Jason may be chasing a ghost by trying to find a problem that really doesn't exist.

Since we are trying to make this better, could you do us a favor and just try to add one of the options that I have described to you, just to take it out of the equation to maybe help Jason out?

Thanks,
Mark

- psike - 2011-01-20

when you have like 30 shows waiting for you to watch them someday it's a good thing to include shows you have not seen. and you don't really need to worry about it getting empty soon.

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-20

mwkurt Wrote:Sranshaft,

Okay...not to beat a dead horse. But you did say the following on the last page:

This indicates to me that you do not want to see the same episode of Firefly over and over. This is what the watched flags in XBMC is for. If you do not want to set the watched status to = 0 as a rule in your playlist, because you will never see the show again, there is another option. You can set a specific time interval for a show to not repeat using the "last watch" rule in a playlist. If you set it to say 4 weeks, when you watch an episode it will not show up again until that time fram has expired.

I don't want to argue with anyone in the XBMC community. I just feel that Jason may be chasing a ghost by trying to find a problem that really doesn't exist.

Since we are trying to make this better, could you do us a favor and just try to add one of the options that I have described to you, just to take it out of the equation to maybe help Jason out?

Thanks,
Mark

That is the bug. It's restarting the playlist from the beginning instead of adjusting for the time that has already elapsed while watching the channel. It's not like I was watching the channel and the same episode came back on a couple hours later. It is a confirmed bug. It does exist. He's experienced himself if you'll go back and read his reply to my comment regarding the issue. Again, I appreciate you trying to help but what you're suggesting will not solve this particular issue.

- mwkurt - 2011-01-20

Well just because Jason has experienced the problem that you have, does not mean it is not an inherent problem with the way a Smart Playlist works.
I must say I don't understand your reluctance to at least try adding what I have suggested. Have you taken a look at Jason's post #62 in this thread? Why do you think he suggests using a rule for "playcount = 0" in a playlist?
This is my last word on this matter.

Mark

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-20

mwkurt Wrote:Well just because Jason has experienced the problem that you have, does not mean it is not an inherent problem with the way a Smart Playlist works.
I must say I don't understand your reluctance to at least try adding what I have suggested. Have you taken a look at Jason's post #62 in this thread? Why do you think he suggests using a rule for "playcount = 0" in a playlist?
This is my last word on this matter.

Mark

He was responding to a particular question dvdapex was asking...what you're suggestion will not work for me. I want watched episode to appear on my channels. What you are suggesting will exclude all watched episodes from my playlist. This is not what I want...

I never said the problem Jason and I experienced was an issue with smart playlists. It an issue with the way the addon currently handles resuming.

Once again I thank you for trying to help but you're not understanding the issue at hand.

- Jason102 - 2011-01-20

First of all, new version is out (0.1.3). I highly recommend that you force reset all of your channels, since at least one bug fix in the new version requires it.

So let me clarify how PseudoTV uses the smart playlists that you create. In order to provide any sort of reasonable experience, I need to gather information on the shows to use the EPG. For this reason, I load the smart playlist as infrequently as possible...until you watch a channel enough, it will maintain the same ordering even between multiple loads of the add-on.

An example. If your smart playlist only adds files that haven't been watched, the add-on will load that playlist the first time it sees the new channel. If you watch 3 out of the 10 shows and then close and reopen PseudoTV, you will still have all 10 shows in the playlist. Only after you've gone through all 10 (or the equivalent amount of time) will it reanalyze the playlist.

Ideally, this won't matter since the add-on will continue playing essentially where you left off. This is the bug, though. For some reason that part isn't working correctly. This is the next bug on my list to fix, since it's pretty important.

- goldfinger7476 - 2011-01-20

I am really liking this add-on great work!!

I have a question though, I run XBMC on Mac's and ATV's so I am limited on the amount of buttons I have. With this addon it works like this

My enter button works (buttonid = 5) to bring up the EPG and select shows. The arrow keys work fine and the Menu button (buttonid = 6) will close the EPG. My problem is I don't have a button to close the Script. As much as I would like running this 24/7, it would be nice to close it (since there is no pause). My thought is to assign 'stop' or whatever event will close the script assigned to buttonid = 8 (this is the action of holding down buttonid 6). However, I have no idea how to define that in the keymap.xml file for a script without messing up my global settings.

Any ideas?