Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- Dauren - 2011-01-25

Could anybody help me? I'v done tethered jailbreak, after plugin hdmi port to TV I cannot used putty. After typing IP, returned "Connection refused".

- dazex - 2011-01-25

Dauren,
Not trying to insult your intelligence, so forgive me as I get clarification from you. Is the ATV2 connected to the network? Putty will need an IP address so it can connect to your ATV2.

- mojo6911 - 2011-01-25

Dauren Wrote:Could anybody help me? I'v done tethered jailbreak, after plugin hdmi port to TV I cannot used putty. After typing IP, returned "Connection refused".

When you build the IPSW, you need to make sure SSH is added.

- sparkie2640 - 2011-01-25

gavjbrown Wrote:Can anyone help with this -

My new atv2 arrived today and the ios is 4.1.1

So I downloded the ios 4.1.1 and Sn0wbreeze.

Once I have made the custom ios and put the atv2 in dfu, ituned pops up with the restore button. I then click shift and restore and sellect my custom ios. Then after about 4mins I get an 3194 error message.

What do I need to do?.

Thanks Gav

You need to install tinyumbrella

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Then restart iTunes.

The reason being is that 4.1 is no longer 'signed' by apple only 4.2 and the 4.2b3 is currently (to prevent things like this I'm sure).
tinyumbrella will run and change the location of gs.apple.com to point to your local machine, then it will sign the firmware for you and let you and proceed with the restore without upgrading to 4.2

- dazex - 2011-01-25

sparkie2640,
You can't retrieved "sign" SHSH blobs if it wasn't save during Apple's signing window. Since his ATV2 is new and arrived after the iOS 4.1 signing window have been closed by Apple, even Tiny Umbrella will not be able to save the 4.1 SHSH blob for that device.

The root issue I believe gavjbrown is possibly having is that he's using an incorrect iOS firmware version for his new ATV2 device. He is possibly confusing ATV2 Firmware 4.1.1 for iOS 4.1.1.

In the ATV2 settings info screen, you can press the center select button to toggle between different information screen on what firmware/iOS/Build your ATV2 currently runs.

I bet you his 4.1.1 firmware device is actually running iOS 4.2.1, and thus will need to download the iOS 4.2.1 restore file to complete the jailbreak process without error.

Anyways, that's my guess as to the root issue gavjbrown is having so if gavjbrown can clarify for us, we can help some more.

-Dazex

- gavjbrown - 2011-01-26

sparkie2640 Wrote:You need to install tinyumbrella

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Then restart iTunes.

The reason being is that 4.1 is no longer 'signed' by apple only 4.2 and the 4.2b3 is currently (to prevent things like this I'm sure).
tinyumbrella will run and change the location of gs.apple.com to point to your local machine, then it will sign the firmware for you and let you and proceed with the restore without upgrading to 4.2

Ok I used tiny umbrella and I didnt get the 3914 code, but after a few minutes of installing I then got error 1600.

Dazex - The unit says 4.1.1 when I check and I downloaded the ios 4.1.1.
So is my unit actually a ios 4.2.1.

Thanks Gav

EDIT- looks like it not done it much good. Even after removing the power and plugging in, the led just flashes and it doest boot up.

Do I go on itunes and download 4.2.1 and wait until there is a windows jailbreak.

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-01-26

Brand new Apple TV. Followed the guide on the first page exactly. Reinstalled iTunes and made sure the helper was running. Still got an error 1601 when restoring. This is bullshit

- Numus - 2011-01-26

CASHMON3Y Wrote:Brand new Apple TV. Followed the guide on the first page exactly. Reinstalled iTunes and made sure the helper was running. Still got an error 1601 when restoring. This is bullshit

Go into device manager and uninstall the device and drivers.. then uninstall itunes.. reinstall itunes and plug the device in..
only thing i can think of..
oh ya try a different usb port... Wish i could help more but not much i can do more then talk you thru the process we already posted

- dazex - 2011-01-26

CASHMON3Y,
According to this detailed post, the error at the end of the restore seems normal. So you may be ready to go to the next step, which is the tethered boot of the ATV2 into the Jailbroken state. Give it a try and see if your ATV2 successfully boots up and let us know.

-Dazex

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-01-26

Numus Wrote:Go into device manager and uninstall the device and drivers.. then uninstall itunes.. reinstall itunes and plug the device in..
only thing i can think of..
oh ya try a different usb port... Wish i could help more but not much i can do more then talk you thru the process we already posted
Trying that right now. Heres the log iTunes made about my restore if you want to take a look at it. Everything looks like it went swell, it even said success, then its just like eh error 1601.

- brownbear1984 - 2011-01-26

gavjbrown Wrote:Ok I used tiny umbrella and I didnt get the 3914 code, but after a few minutes of installing I then got error 1600.

Dazex - The unit says 4.1.1 when I check and I downloaded the ios 4.1.1.
So is my unit actually a ios 4.2.1.

Thanks Gav

EDIT- looks like it not done it much good. Even after removing the power and plugging in, the led just flashes and it doest boot up.

Do I go on itunes and download 4.2.1 and wait until there is a windows jailbreak.

4.1.1 is 4.2.1 you'll need to tethered boot it. Bit confusing but that's apple for you

- dazex - 2011-01-26

gavjbrown,
Yes, I think your ATV2 was already on iOS 4.2.1 and you tried to jailbreak it with the incorrect iOS 4.1.

So to clean it up, try connecting to the computer and letting iTunes do a regular restore of 4.2.1 to it. Then follow the directions on the first page to jailbreak your ATV2 with Windows.

If iTunes doesn't want to restore your ATV2 because it's in some weird state. Try following the directions to put your ATV2 into DFU mode. Once iTunes detect your ATV2 in DFU mode, it'll prompt your to restore the firmware to it.

Good luck and report back how it goes.

-Dazex

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-01-26

dazex Wrote:CASHMON3Y,
According to this detailed post, the error at the end of the restore seems normal. So you may be ready to go to the next step, which is the tethered boot of the ATV2 into the Jailbroken state. Give it a try and see if your ATV2 successfully boots up and let us know.

-Dazex
Thats what I thought too, but it boots up directly to the normal unhacked menu. No tether needed. I even tried a premade IPSW that was known to work, but alas it did not. I guess I need to realize its time to give up...SadSad

- dazex - 2011-01-26

CASHMON3Y Wrote:Thats what I thought too, but it boots up directly to the normal unhacked menu. No tether needed. I even tried a premade IPSW that was known to work, but alas it did not. I guess I need to realize its time to give up...SadSad

If that is the case, then it must not have jailbroken properly if you are able to boot into the LowTide interface without having to do a tethered boot.

Weird. Don't give up hope though.

I'll try to do a jailbreak of my ATV2 completely from within windows to see what's going on.

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-01-26

dazex Wrote:If that is the case, then it must not have jailbroken properly if you are able to boot into the LowTide interface without having to do a tethered boot.

Weird. Don't give up hope though.

I'll try to do a jailbreak of my ATV2 completely from within windows to see what's going on.
Thanks. Im so lost now, I honestly cant think of what else to do at this point. Atleast I have a $99 netflix streamer...