Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- Numus - 2011-02-01

nikiiv Wrote:Read please the whole post you replay to.
The idea is to post MD5 sum or SHA1 so every one can check his ipsw before flashing.
How md5 are illegal is beyond my understanding..

Now back to the root.. Please post an md5 sum of working ipsw..

MD5's arent illegal...

- dtviewer - 2011-02-01

Numus Wrote:MD5's arent illegal...

I know that....my post was a tongue in cheek reply and a 'hint' to all the people that have asked 'where' they can find a custom restore.

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-02-01

jayace Wrote:Wow, that's messed up. Have you tried on a couple different PC's? Upgraded itunes? Maybe try a fiends pc instead? Is this your second ATV now?
Ive tried it on my ASUS netbook and my Minimac running Snow Leopard. Ive removed iTunes completely and reinstalled it on both systems. This is my second aTV, and my second microUSB cable when I know they are both fine. I dont really have any friends that would be willing to let me use their computer.

- brownbear1984 - 2011-02-02

CASHMON3Y Wrote:Ive tried it on my ASUS netbook and my Minimac running Snow Leopard. Ive removed iTunes completely and reinstalled it on both systems. This is my second aTV, and my second microUSB cable when I know they are both fine. I dont really have any friends that would be willing to let me use their computer.

Are you getting into dfu mode ok?

- kevron - 2011-02-02

jayace Wrote:This is the guide I finally got to work for me.

http://mobile.downloadatoz.com/tutorial/1618,how-to-jailbreak-ios-4-2-1-apple-tv-2g-on-windows-with-custom-ipsw.html
This worked for me, my PC couldn't handle VM.. I tried VM for 8 hours, and couldn't get it working. This method worked. Took me about 4 tries for it to work correctly. First time it didn't JB correctly, then the next 2 times wifi wouldn't work. Now it all works fine and XBMC is on.

- jayace - 2011-02-02

kevron Wrote:This worked for me, my PC couldn't handle VM.. I tried VM for 8 hours, and couldn't get it working. This method worked. Took me about 4 tries for it to work correctly. First time it didn't JB correctly, then the next 2 times wifi wouldn't work. Now it all works fine and XBMC is on.

Just posted this in the "no network" thread but I'll put it here as well in case it helps someone else.

I had the no network problem happen to me last night after I did my jailbreak. When I did the tethered boot the way most guides specify, I had no network. Convinced the jb had indeed worked, I simply re did the the tethered boot and then the network was there. So if it happens, try the tethered reboot again and see if the network comes back before you go through the trouble of redoing your jb. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it worked for me. I can't be sure if my sequence of connections was different when doing the reboot but I don't think so.

This was on wifi.

- rflores2323 - 2011-02-03

I have already jailbroke my atv2 with a mac (my friend that now is about 6 hours away) however my power went out. I want to see what was the best method is to tether it back up and if this is possible

Can I run a VM machine and use Seasonpass to tether it back? I do understand that I need the AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw. Where is this stored so that I can get my friend to send it to me?

- jayace - 2011-02-03

rflores2323 Wrote:I have already jailbroke my atv2 with a mac (my friend that now is about 6 hours away) however my power went out. I want to see what was the best method is to tether it back up and if this is possible

Can I run a VM machine and use Seasonpass to tether it back? I do understand that I need the AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw. Where is this stored so that I can get my friend to send it to me?
You shouldn't need to redo the jailbreak if you simply lost power. The jailbreak is still there. You just need to do a tethered reboot.

ok well I just found this thread.

Need actual custom firmware, simply open it up and extract the following files (BTW, for those using Seas0nPass, the custom firmware created by the software can be found in your home directory):

dfu/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu
kernelcache.release.k66

To open the .ipsw file in Windows, simply rename the .ipsw extension to .zip instead.

Then use the following Tethered Boot Utility for windows

With the tetheredboot tool and the two extracted files in the same folder, open up the command prompt and type in the following command:

tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

Connect your ATV2 via USB to your computer and also plug in the power cable. Put it in DFU mode by holding down both the menu and play/pause button for 7secs. The tethered boot program should take over once it detects the ATV2. Let it complete, then remove the USB cable so you can plug in your HDMI cable.

I am going to try this tonight if I can get a hold of the IPSW files.

- jayace - 2011-02-03

rflores2323 Wrote:ok well I just found this thread.

Need actual custom firmware, simply open it up and extract the following files (BTW, for those using Seas0nPass, the custom firmware created by the software can be found in your home directory):

dfu/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu
kernelcache.release.k66

To open the .ipsw file in Windows, simply rename the .ipsw extension to .zip instead.

Then use the following Tethered Boot Utility for windows

With the tetheredboot tool and the two extracted files in the same folder, open up the command prompt and type in the following command:

tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

Connect your ATV2 via USB to your computer and also plug in the power cable. Put it in DFU mode by holding down both the menu and play/pause button for 7secs. The tethered boot program should take over once it detects the ATV2. Let it complete, then remove the USB cable so you can plug in your HDMI cable.

I am going to try this tonight if I can get a hold of the IPSW files.

Check out post 235/236 and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

well I tried it and for some reason it wont go in dfu mode with the tether tool. My pc keeps popping up with something that its trying to download and I cancel it. Then I get a bubble showing its in dfu mode on the PC however the tether tool doesnt pick it up. I tried with the power cord out and with it in and no difference.

Do I have to run itunes or something before hand? I should have to I thought. I dont have itunes installed on this pc.

- electricd7 - 2011-02-03

Getting into dfu mode has nothing to do with your computer. You should be able to get into dfu mode using simply the AppleTV remote. Do the following:

-Plug AppleTv into microUSB and your PC, also plug into AC power (no hdmi)
-Push the DOWN and MENU buttons on your apple remote until you see the white light flashing VERY rapidly (like 10 times per second)
-Within 1 second, push and hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button on your AppleTV remote until the light flashes exactly like it did on the first press (10/second)

Your appleTv should now be in dfu mode. At this point, you should be able to run tetheredboot.exe and it shouldn't say "Device must be in DFU mode to continue". It should go ahead and do the tethered boot.

Once the boot is finished (2 different progress meters will go from 0-100%) immediately unplug your usb from the AppleTV and plug in your HDMI cable. That should do it!

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-02-03

brownbear1984 Wrote:Are you getting into dfu mode ok?
iREB reports that it was successful, so im guessing so. Im thinking I might just make a video of my process step by step then post it here and see if someone can spot my mistake somewhere because im clueless.

electricd7 Wrote:Getting into dfu mode has nothing to do with your computer. You should be able to get into dfu mode using simply the AppleTV remote. Do the following:

-Plug AppleTv into microUSB and your PC, also plug into AC power (no hdmi)
-Push the DOWN and MENU buttons on your apple remote until you see the white light flashing VERY rapidly (like 10 times per second)
-Within 1 second, push and hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button on your AppleTV remote until the light flashes exactly like it did on the first press (10/second)

Your appleTv should now be in dfu mode. At this point, you should be able to run tetheredboot.exe and it shouldn't say "Device must be in DFU mode to continue". It should go ahead and do the tethered boot.

Once the boot is finished (2 different progress meters will go from 0-100%) immediately unplug your usb from the AppleTV and plug in your HDMI cable. That should do it!

I keep getting a found new hardware pop up trying for me to install the recovery mode software. Or if I go into DFU mode another found new hardware pop up also. I try to run the command and the installer comes back saying device must be in dfu mode to continue. I put it in dfu mode on as I get a popup on my left bottom bar saying found new hardware and then again the pop up. The apple tv goes from a flashing light to a fast flashing light back to flashing so its in dfu mode.. for some reason I think xp is trying to find the drivers for the atv. anyway that I can turn this off?

I dont want to install itunes becuase its probably going to try to set my atv2 back to non jailbreak.

Any help on this.

- dazex - 2011-02-03

rflores2323,
There are two different drivers that need to be installed upon connecting the ATV2 to your computer: iBoot and DFU

In regular iBoot mode, let Windows discover the driver and install the proper software for it.

When in DFU mode, Windows will install a different driver.

I know if you actually click on the system tray prompt, you will actually see if your ATV is in iBoot mode or DFU mode. Kindda a handy feedback IMHO.

So in summary, there are two distinct drivers. Let Windows install the pertinent drivers for them. It should only need to happen once.

If iTunes launches, it will not automatically restore anything. You have to manually allow it to. If you don't want iTunes to autolaunch upon insertion of the ATV2, you need to kill the iTunesHelper.exe process.

It's possible that you may need to install iTunes in order for Windows to have the drivers it needs to see the ATV2.