Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- douggoodwin - 2011-02-13

dazex Wrote:I thought iso playback only works if your iso doesn't contain the menus and stuff. I know it defeats the purpose of ripping into an iso format, but I thought that's what I heard.

Anyways, I am running the feb 11 build with the latest RC6 GreenPois0n and my iso with menu rips are still not playing.

Do you have any ISO w/o menus that play well?
I'm about half way through converting all my TS files to iso w/o menus. Figured it's a good idea anyway to conserve disk space

What is this about XP SP3 and GP? - fiddystorms - 2011-02-13

Googlyeyz Wrote:Just upgraded from GreenPois0n RC5 to RC6. Works great. No need to ssh into the ATV2 anymore and install XBMC from command line. It can be installed directly from the TV menu with the remote.

- restored ATV2 to factory
- jailbreaked it with RC6
- connected it to the TV
- installed Cydia from the GreenPois0n menu (after reboot you get the nitoTV menu)
- installed XBMC from the nitoTV menu
- that's all Smile

I keep seeing something about switching to Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode to run the GP jailbreak, is this a necessary step?

*** sidenote: I was finally able to see my device in the sidebar on iTunes by unplugging the power cord and plugging in only the micro USB cable. It was recognized immediately and the option to restore was finally available.

- ztas - 2011-02-13

I just jailbreaked a new Apple TV out of store with Greenpois0n RC6 on my windows 7 64 bit with no problem.

Note: I didn't need to switch to Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

- danmedhurst - 2011-02-13

ive just rejailbroken mine.. first boot was fine. greenpois0n menu was there.. installed cydia. rebooted.. now i get no output to the tv after the Apple logo Sad

Edit : Sorted.. re-stored again and re-jailbroke.. all fine now Big Grin

- douggoodwin - 2011-02-16

joshua.lyon Wrote:For future reference, you can use the Export / Import feature under the System > Settings > Video (or Music) menus and you wouldn't have to rescan your files (and it would keep track of what you had already watched). Overview: Export the Music and Video library, copy the library off your aTV, do the restore / JB, then copy the export back to the aTV and import the file.

On the other hand, if you didn't care about the keeping your library in tact (and tracking what you had watched), the rescan probably works just fine.

But how do you actually get the exported library file onto the atv2 itself?
The import function doesnt let you find the file elsewhere on the network. It only lets you look on the device itself.
When I connect the atv2 to my laptop via micro usb, I dont see anyway to drag and drop the exported library file onto the atv2 so I can import it through XBMC

- Th3R00st3r - 2011-02-16

I finally got the ATV2 JB with the new greenpois0n. I hooked it up to the tv and connected it to the wireless router. I have the IP address (192.168.1.14). I launch putty from my WINXP machine (old, I know) and pop in the IP address and it connects asking for a login.

I type: root
It asks for the password
I type: alpine (of course, I can't see it) and press enter and putty closes. WTFHuh

I can't get logged in to install xbmc...any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Th3R00st3r Wrote:I finally got the ATV2 JB with the new greenpois0n. I hooked it up to the tv and connected it to the wireless router. I have the IP address (192.168.1.14). I launch putty from my WINXP machine (old, I know) and pop in the IP address and it connects asking for a login.

It asks for the password
I type: alpine (of course, I can't see it) and press enter and putty closes. WTFHuh

Thanks in advance.

EDIT. I can WinSCP into the ATV2 fine and log in as root. I can browse the directories and everything, but putty closes when I log in...

- joshua.lyon - 2011-02-16

Th3R00st3r Wrote:I finally got the ATV2 JB with the new greenpois0n. I hooked it up to the tv and connected it to the wireless router. I have the IP address (192.168.1.14). I launch putty from my WINXP machine (old, I know) and pop in the IP address and it connects asking for a login.

It asks for the password

Thanks in advance.
Not sure why you would have trouble with putty, but you might try a putty alternative... or even PuTTY Tray

joshua.lyon Wrote:Not sure why you would have trouble with putty, but you might try a putty alternative... or even PuTTY Tray

OK. I had to restore (due to previous attempts to JB) using itunes. after it restored the ATV2, i did the greenpois0n JB again. It took and I had the Greenpois0n menu item. I injected it, which gave me nitotv, then went to install and selected xbmc. Putty works now too.

Thanks for the advice. I will help out others if I can.

- wiredliving - 2011-02-16

Th3R00st3r Wrote:OK. I had to restore (due to previous attempts to JB) using itunes. after it restored the ATV2, i did the greenpois0n JB again. It took and I had the Greenpois0n menu item. I injected it, which gave me nitotv, then went to install and selected xbmc. Putty works now too.

Thanks for the advice. I will help out others if I can.

Thanks - i was having the same problem of getting booted from SSH - I to had previously JB using the teathered method. I'll restore & reJB with greenpoison rc6 now Smile Just means i'll have to reinstall xbmc Tongue

Cheeers

- Lewman - 2011-02-16

Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue with installing XBMC. I have jailbroken my ATV2 using GP RC6 for windows. The jailbreak goes through fine (left it for 5 minutes after the jailbreak as well) and when i load up the ATV it shows the greenpoison option in the menu (along with the inject software link) However when i select Inject Software it loads up the page but it has no options on it at all. It literally just has the GP logo at the top right hand corner, nothing else. If i press the main button on the remote it just goes back to the main menu.

I have restored the ATV using the apple 4.2.1 update and JB using this.

I load up itunes and do a restore. it downloads the update and applies it to my ATV.
I then load up GP and select Yes to ATV
I select jailbreak and then connect USB, then power and then do MENU and Play. It then allows me to select jailbreak. I select this and it performs the jailbreak. I leave it for a few minutes before disconnectibg the USB and power.
I then take it to the tv and plug in power, network cable (ethernet) and HDMI.
The ATV boots up and I can select greenpoision inject software. Once selected im greeted with the logo in the top corner with no other options.

I am at a loss here as Ive tried the same process for the last few days but cannot see any options at all on the inject software page.

I have also tried to connect via WINSCP and PUTTY to the ATV2 via SSH and i always get a connection refused message, so cant even get in that way.

Any one have a solution or some ideas about getting round this? I'm starting to suspect I might have broken the ATV somehow. Guess will have to buy a new one if i cant find any more info to try! Sad

-Lew

- popcornmix - 2011-02-16

Th3R00st3r Wrote:EDIT. I can WinSCP into the ATV2 fine and log in as root. I can browse the directories and everything, but putty closes when I log in...

Did you install RC6 over a (custom firmware) tethered jailbreak?
I tried and got the same outcome as you.
Had to restore to a clean firmware and then run RC6. All good now.

@ lewman - wedgehead - 2011-02-16

I was wondering if that method would work...guess not.
I think the problem you are having is you are unteathering from your power supply too soon. I think you are going to need to keep the device "tethered" to the power supply get hooked up to the TV and launch greenpoision then install the cydia package. Once that is done then I think you will be able to unplug the device and walk it around.Rolleyes
I was thinking of doing like you because moving all my gear up to my bedroom is a real pain in the butt. Specially since I just had a power outage Saturday the 12th before the RC6 package was out. Looks like I get to do it again. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

- Eldorado - 2011-02-18

I'm having troubles updating my apple tv to 4.2.1

The menu screen shows I am at 4.1.1, when I select Update Software it says that my Apple TV is up to date

So browsing online I found a file named AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw and tried updating via iTunes (shift click on Restore and select the file).. it does it's thing, finishes successful

Connect to tv, check general settings.. still at 4.1.1!

Anyone else have this trouble?

I'm assuming since I'm stuck on 4.1.1 is why my jail breaking with RC6 isn't working?

- dazex - 2011-02-18

Eldorado, you'll find your answer quicker by searching. 4.1.1 is iOS 4.2.1

Go look at your firmware version again. Click the center select button on your remote to watch it toggle between firmware, build and ios build. Something like that.

Now, why you can't get the ATV jailbroken despite being on the correct 4.2.1? I don't know. I am betting that you're not getting the ATV2 into DFU properly? You should ignore the direction. As long as you're in DFU mode, GreenPoison will detect that and start the JB operation.