Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- BluPrint - 2011-01-24

For those of you having the issue with the LAN/Wireless connectivity (i.e. ATV2 will not scan for networks or pick them up if you enter details manually - like SSID/WPA key etc.) after following brownbear's method for the JB, I had the same issue first time round.

I restored the ATV2 back to the original Apple f/w in iTunes ('Restore' without pressing shift) and ran through the process again from the top. Second time round - all gravy!

Used SSH to get XBMC installed (and Nitotv but that's of limited use atm.), spent most of the evening waiting for the XBMC to get the scrapes for the meta data and now.....have a great little media streaming unit connected to my TV with all the films/TV series fully populated with cover art, film details etc.

Mr brownbear1984, you are a legend! I have the pleasure of working with the guy and getting all the juicy updates via text or phone call (even if it was at 1am! Dude get some sleep!) I can vouch for the hard work he's put into this and it has certainly paid off.

Just watch someone bring out a full Windows only teathered JB next week though ;o)

Nice one mate, couldn't have done it without your help!

- jackolantern - 2011-01-24

Hello all all instructions are great! I have one question. I had a power outage and my ATV2 seems to have gone back into DFU. Just displays apple logo. Do i always have to do a tethered boot?

- brownbear1984 - 2011-01-25

jackolantern Wrote:Hello all all instructions are great! I have one question. I had a power outage and my ATV2 seems to have gone back into DFU. Just displays apple logo. Do i always have to do a tethered boot?

yes

- dazex - 2011-01-25

jackolantern Wrote:Hello all all instructions are great! I have one question. I had a power outage and my ATV2 seems to have gone back into DFU. Just displays apple logo. Do i always have to do a tethered boot?

Currently, you have to plug in to the computer to have it help your ATV2 complete it's boot process. This is what is known as a tethered jailbreak. There is news on the horizon that a non-tethered jailbreak is about to be release.

Luckily, power outage are usually few and far in between.

If you see the apple logo, you are not in DFU. In DFU mode, you shouldn't see anything on the screen. At least this is how it is with the iPhone.

Hope these info helps.

-Dazex

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-01-25

brownbear1984 Wrote:Hi mate I'll try to help first of all a few questions:

1. Are you running the latest release of itunes (I think it's 10.1.1)?
2. Does ireb work fine?
3. Which firmware are you trying to restore to?
Yes, yes and both the default one I get from Seas0npass, and one I made myself. I even tried restoring to default firmware. 1601 error everytime, and it just boots to an iTunes logo with a picture of a cable running to it. Im exchanging it tomorrow and ill report my luck with the second. Sucks, parents got all excited too

CASHMON3Y Wrote:Yes, yes and both the default one I get from Seas0npass, and one I made myself. I even tried restoring to default firmware. 1601 error everytime, and it just boots to an iTunes logo with a picture of a cable running to it. Im exchanging it tomorrow and ill report my luck with the second. Sucks, parents got all excited too

Just tried a quick google and found this http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38633?viewlocale=en_US

Have u reinstalled itunes

- mojo6911 - 2011-01-25

Try a different computer.

- donrosco - 2011-01-25

Hi all, I managed to JB and install xbmc on my new apple tv2 round my mates gaff on his mac tonight. Now i'm back in my house, with a PC laptop and a powered down box. What's my best bet for a tethered boot on a PC at the moment? Thanks!

donrosco Wrote:Hi all, I managed to JB and install xbmc on my new apple tv2 round my mates gaff on his mac tonight. Now i'm back in my house, with a PC laptop and a powered down box. What's my best bet for a tethered boot on a PC at the moment? Thanks!

Do you not have the files to tethered boot the ATV? Are you able to get your mate to send you the tethered folder from his computer?

- donrosco - 2011-01-25

Thanks for the reply. I took the custom firmware from his home folder on the mac: AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_SP_Restore.ipsw

I can get whatever else I need to from him tomorrow, am I out of luck until I do that? What folder should I tell him to send me?

donrosco Wrote:Thanks for the reply. I took the custom firmware from his home folder on the mac: AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_SP_Restore.ipsw

I can get whatever else I need to from him tomorrow, am I out of luck until I do that? What folder should I tell him to send me?

If you followed all the instructions you should have a tethered folder on the desktop with the tethered files that you need

- donrosco - 2011-01-25

Ah, ok, grand. Two questions - this also applies to a jailbreak done with seas0npass? And the files are particular to my device, so I couldn't ask someone else for a copy of theirs to do the tethered boot?

Thanks again!

donrosco Wrote:Ah, ok, grand. Two questions - this also applies to a jailbreak done with seas0npass? And the files are particular to my device, so I couldn't ask someone else for a copy of theirs to do the tethered boot?

Thanks again!

The files aren't partcular to your device. You could ask someone but there are legal implications as you would have had to extract some copyrighted code from the cfw and it's illegal to redistribute it.

- donrosco - 2011-01-25

Ok, much appreciated. I'll get on to my mate first thing.

- SleepyP - 2011-01-25

Would sticking a zipped copy of the files involved up on a site like MediaFire and then linking to that from the forums violate the forum rules? If I understand the copyright laws correctly, the hosting liability would be MediaFire's, not XBMC.org's, since the files aren't hosted here. In the USA under the DMCA MediaFire would have to receive a takedown notice and would then be responsible for removing the copyrighted material. Nothing to do with the folks over on XBMC.org. Or would it be OK to link to a site that in turn links to the files? Just trying to find a way to make this easier for people without breaking forum rules.