Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- luketjm - 2011-05-31

Hey there!
I set up XBMC with TVHeadend on Natty yesterday. I followed the instructions of the first post and it worked Smile. Thank you for your great work.
But I encountered some problems. Maybe you can help me?
1. I hit the record button in XBMC and the record started. If I hit it again to stop the recording XBMC crashes. Stopping it from the WebUI wasn't successful either. How do I stop recordings?
2. Watching TV in the WebUI doesn't work (Video box remains black). In the log I always get a 401 error code (Not Authorized) but I logged in with the admin user ... why is that? Do I need codecs?
3. When I use XBMC in fullscreen mode I can not switch to the desktop. XBMC is always on top. This is especially annoying when XBMC crashed. In this case I need to restart the system Sad (I use ATI Drivers) Gnome's keyboard shortcuts have no effect ...

Thank you very much for your help Big Grin

:::Shuttle XPC SN78SH7:::ATI HD 5450:::AMD Athlon x2:::Ubuntu Natty 11.04 desktop

- maartenmeijer - 2011-05-31

I also have an error with tvheadend that is very weird to me. XBMC PVR seems to be reporting bad signal quality with the following error code:

"SignalQuality - addon 'HTS Tvheadend:****:9982' returns bad error (-3) from SignalQuality()"

As far as i know this means that i have to watch the signal quality. However in the logs of tvheadend the following is found

[INFO]:capmt: Starting capmt server for service "Net 5 HD" on tuner 1
[INFO]Confusedubscription: "**** [ **** | XBMC Media Center ]" subscribing on "Net 5 HD", weight: 150, adapter: "Philips TDA10023 DVB-C 2", network: "0500 Ziggo SA Network", mux: "0500 Ziggo SA Network: 332,000 kHz", provider: "Ziggo", service: "Net 5 HD", quality: 100
[INFO]:capmt: Trying to obtain key for service "Net 5 HD"
[INFO]:capmt: Obtained key for service "Net 5 HD"

That seems a bit weird, since tvheadend reports a signal quality of 100 all the time and does not show errors. XBMC in the mean time just locks up and has to be killed. I am monitoring the signal quality and it stays fine on 100%. I'm using two dvb cards and they both show the same error. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

#UPDATE 1
Did some testing with recompiling the cccam but that doesn't seem to be the problem. So the next step was to try a windows build (the ones of margo) and check if the problem exists there. Fun fact, it didn't. So it seems to be a bug in the software, or better in the tvheadend pvr plugin that faults at catching with the SignalQuality() method. Some extra info, i used a checkout of 5 days ago on github and the ppa. Both failed. The used tvheadend versions were 920de31e and 2.12.

#UPDATE 2
Reported this on github master brach of opdenkamp, it has ticket number #132.

#UPDATE 3
Seems to be fixed in the latest build!

- martdj - 2011-06-03

I installed your PVR build on my main HTPC the other day and so far, after some initial crashes while setting up the PVR add-on, everything has been working great, so that's cool. Now I'm looking at the rest of the infrastructure. My latest TVHeadend build was done at the 6th of April. Were there any changes since then that the PVR plugin uses or which improve stability? I noticed Andoma is still mainly focussing on his Showtime project.
The other part is Oscam which regretfully is quite unstable here. I used the 1.00 version which would be fine while watching tv, but if I haven't watched anything for a few days, I have to restart Oscam to get it to work again. Problem there is also a non-working start-stop script, which starts Oscam fine, but doesn't manage to stop it. Anyone with a proper Oscam start-stop script for Fedora/CentOS/ClearOS? I've just upgraded to the latest svn version of Oscam btw, so I'll have to see if stability improves.

Ok, back on topic. Any news in the area of Timeshifting with the PVR add-on?

- maartenmeijer - 2011-06-03

@martdj, to see the changes made recently you could read the repository of opdenkamp. Just follow this link, https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc/commits/master. The most notable changes i have found is the faster channel switching.

- opdenkamp - 2011-06-07

@maartenmeijer:
just ignore the first log message about bad signal quality. it's normal behaviour, since the stream isn't ready yet.

@martdj: like maartenmeijer said, you can find the changes in the commit message. major changes can be found in the ppa release notes in the sticky on the pvr forum: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92315
timeshift has a very low prio atm. probably won't have time to spend on that before pvr is merged with xbmc/master.

- sw4y - 2011-06-10

At first, big thanks for your great work!!

I'm new to the whole linux thing and spent some days getting xbmc and various pvr clients to work and now tried your tutorial.
Always tried vdr first but it did not really run well.

Hell, tvheadend does!!

I really like that web gui, the fast channel switching, .......

With the tutorial in the first post it was really easy to set up!

But I have one question now:

When switching to encrypted channels, I get a message "no descrambler found".
I searched the internet and found out, that tvheadend does not support cam modules like my alphacrypt, is that right?

It would be a pitty if it wouldn't be possibble to watch encrypted channels.
My provider only provides encrypted channels, except some fta channels.

Maybe someone could help me out!

Big thanks so far!

- opdenkamp - 2011-06-10

sw4y Wrote:I searched the internet and found out, that tvheadend does not support cam modules like my alphacrypt, is that right?
tvheadend only supports softcams (newcamd protocol and capmt). another option is to get a hw based solution (so a cam directly attached to your dvbcard). you'll need a driver for linux that supports the hw cam though, which could be a problem

- sw4y - 2011-06-10

dushmaniac Wrote:tvheadend only supports softcams (newcamd protocol and capmt). another option is to get a hw based solution (so a cam directly attached to your dvbcard). you'll need a driver for linux that supports the hw cam though, which could be a problem

Thanks for your answer!

I actually use a Cabix Mystique DVB_C Card, unfortunately the cam isn't directly attached to the card.

But I have another card here, a Digitalrise DVB-C PCI CABLE CI (Mantis 2033 chipset), which has the cam directly attached to the card. Manufacturer should be Twinhan I guess.
From what I read, the mantis chipset is supported out of the box since kernel 2.6.33, but does this mean, the cam is also supported?

Does someone use this card, especially under ubuntu or tvheadend?

Thanks so far & keep up the good work!

- MadMurdock - 2011-06-12

Hi Dushmaniac, great work so far! One probable issue. I've set up my pc to go to sleep after half an hour of inactivity (and wake up using some acpi calls in respond to the programmed recordings), however after half an hour of recording it goes to sleep again.

I don't have this issue when watching livetv, but when just recording (while being in the homescreen for example), it falls asleep. Is there any chance you could get this fixed? I am already thinking about simulating some keypresses with a tool during recordings, but that could be better ofcourse. Smile

- martdj - 2011-06-12

sw4y Wrote:Thanks for your answer!

I actually use a Cabix Mystique DVB_C Card, unfortunately the cam isn't directly attached to the card.

But I have another card here, a Digitalrise DVB-C PCI CABLE CI (Mantis 2033 chipset), which has the cam directly attached to the card. Manufacturer should be Twinhan I guess.
Easiest solution would be to get a USB crypto cardreader. Just search for "smargo". They're about 30 euro. Then compile and install Oscam (which isn't as hard as it sounds) and you're set to go.

- sw4y - 2011-06-12

martdj Wrote:Easiest solution would be to get a USB crypto cardreader. Just search for "smargo". They're about 30 euro. Then compile and install Oscam (which isn't as hard as it sounds) and you're set to go.

Thanks martdj - I'll try that. Just to get it clear, smargo reads my original card und passes the keys to oscam which decrypts the stream right?

- SofaKng - 2011-06-13

Can TVHeadend record "new" episodes? I'm not talking about something that hasn't been recorded. I'm talking about a brand new episode of a program that hasn't aired before.

I don't see anything for this nor do I see it in VDR Sad

- opdenkamp - 2011-06-14

MadMurdock Wrote:Hi Dushmaniac, great work so far! One probable issue. I've set up my pc to go to sleep after half an hour of inactivity (and wake up using some acpi calls in respond to the programmed recordings), however after half an hour of recording it goes to sleep again
you should open a ticket on tvheadend's website for this issue. it's not related to xbmc

sw4y Wrote:Thanks martdj - I'll try that. Just to get it clear, smargo reads my original card und passes the keys to oscam which decrypts the stream right?
yes.

sofakng Wrote:Can TVHeadend record "new" episodes? I'm not talking about something that hasn't been recorded. I'm talking about a brand new episode of a program that hasn't aired before.

I don't see anything for this nor do I see it in VDR Sad
tvheadend doesn't care about episodes. so yes, you can record your "new episodes" too, as long as you know what channel to record from and at what time.

- SofaKng - 2011-06-14

Thanks! However, I'm wondering if you can setup a timer like this:

Record "Pawn Stars" on HIST (141) at anytime, but only new (unaired) episodes.

It looks like TVHeadend (and VDR) require you to specify an exact time and it doesn't know if an episode has been aired or not.

MythTV (and other Schedules Direct apps) have an "Original Air Date" field that can be used to determine if a show is brand new (unaired) or not. I was hoping that TVHeadend could use that information... Also, most stand-alone DVRs also know this information (TiVo, Dish Network receivers, etc)

- jenkins - 2011-06-14

Hi!

I am having trubel installing: xbmc-eventclients-xbmc-send
with latest Larsop builds...

it wants to uninstall xbmc when i try...

ubuntu Lucid and Maverik 64bits...