Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- bas.t - 2011-08-22

awikatchikaen Wrote:Why the PVR version is now ubuntu-only ? Is there something in debian which block the installation by package ??

Because nobody seemed to be interested in building them for other platforms, with just one exception afaik: openelec.tv (in fact this is also no package, it is a complete OS, with xbmc-pvr integrated)

As for the blocking: though ubuntu is debian based, the canonical devs are much like the french automobile engeneers. They seeme to have meetings, drink some wine and make jokes about how they will annoy the repair men with their latest inventions, putting as much as possible non-standard parts in those cars. And cheering to this while opening some more bottles. But the driver's seat is always very comfortable, so you must drive their cars.Big Grin!

So, the bottomline is: debian (plain) and ubuntu (somewhat more fancy through non-standard behaviour) don't mix very well.

If you still want xbmc-pvr on debian, this may help you as a starting point. And if you need more help, just ask.

Bas.

- MadMurdock - 2011-08-24

dushmaniac Wrote:We've moved to a new location for the binaries.

To upgrade, execute the following commands:
Code:
curl -Ls --output /tmp/install-xbmc-pvr.sh http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ubuntu/install-xbmc-pvr.sh
If there are any issues, please let me know.

It seems the script isn't available. Smile

And is it required to install tvheadend from the default ubuntu archives? Thought that one was included in your PPA as well?

Tnx!

- martdj - 2011-08-25

I have a silly problem which probably has a simple solution, but I can't find it so I hope someone can tell me how to do it. It seems to be caused by installing the PVR builds so that's the reason I'm posting it here.
Since one of the builds where we got the horizontal menu instead of the vertical one in confluence my Info button no longer works when going through the movie list. The info button is working in other menu's, so there's nothing wrong with the button itself. It just doesn't work in the video/movie section. I've checked the keymaps.xml, but couldn't see a problem there. Anyone else experiencing this and found a solution?

- meandor - 2011-08-26

hi,
i just intalled tvheadend and i am kind a stuck at the beginning.
i can not really find any channels in the backend.

first of all my driver is correct installed and i can choose the device from the dropdown menu.
when i click "Add DVB Network by location..." my provider does not show up at all!
i am living in germany and i have the provider willy tel (hamburg)
therefore i also dont know the nit-o network id.

i found a pdf file with the channel, the frequency and the qam from my provider.

but when i put them into multiplexes manually it searches all the time but cant find any channels...
and the signal quality is dropping to 0 at multiplexes.

please help me someone!

- bas.t - 2011-08-26

meandor Wrote:hi,
i just intalled tvheadend and i am kind a stuck at the beginning.
i can not really find any channels in the backend.

first of all my driver is correct installed and i can choose the device from the dropdown menu.
when i click "Add DVB Network by location..." my provider does not show up at all!
i am living in germany and i have the provider willy tel (hamburg)
therefore i also dont know the nit-o network id.

i found a pdf file with the channel, the frequency and the qam from my provider.

but when i put them into multiplexes manually it searches all the time but cant find any channels...
and the signal quality is dropping to 0 at multiplexes.

please help me someone!

Look at this number 16.
They say "Sollten Sie einen Receiver im Fachhandel erwerben, ist es wichtig, dass dieser DVB-C unterstützt."
So I guess you can contact them for the settings you need to install this receiver. Should be the same settings as you need for tvheadend.

Bas.

- meandor - 2011-08-27

bas.t Wrote:Look at this number 16.
They say "Sollten Sie einen Receiver im Fachhandel erwerben, ist es wichtig, dass dieser DVB-C unterstützt."
So I guess you can contact them for the settings you need to install this receiver. Should be the same settings as you need for tvheadend.

Bas.

ah thanks for the advice,
so i can find out the nit-o network id like that.

but what about the "Add DVB Network by location..." dilemma?

- bas.t - 2011-08-27

meandor Wrote:ah thanks for the advice,
so i can find out the nit-o network id like that.

I think so, since your provider seems to support other then their own receivers. That is, if they actually use a nit other, of course.

meandor Wrote:but what about the "Add DVB Network by location..." dilemma?

Well, since your provider is not in the list, you should add an initial mux by hand. And, if aplicable, the nit other. So you could ask your provider for the frequecy, symbolrate, constellation and fec of the initial mux. This is also the info you would need for installation of a receiver.
Btw: you can try and set the fec to 'auto'.

- meandor - 2011-08-27

bas.t Wrote:I think so, since your provider seems to support other then their own receivers. That is, if they actually use a nit other, of course.

Well, since your provider is not in the list, you should add an initial mux by hand. And, if aplicable, the nit other. So you could ask your provider for the frequecy, symbolrate, constellation and fec of the initial mux. This is also the info you would need for installation of a receiver.
Btw: you can try and set the fec to 'auto'.
sag mal kannst du mir auch die übersetzung von initial mux sagen?
xD hab gerade keine ahnung was das auf deutsch sein soll
(start multiplexer?)

- bas.t - 2011-08-27

meandor Wrote:sag mal kannst du mir auch die übersetzung von initial mux sagen?
xD hab gerade keine ahnung was das auf deutsch sein soll
(start multiplexer?)

My tvheadend is english, so I can guide you in english. Furthermore, I can read some German, but I cannot speak it well enough to help you. So maybe you could ask someone to translate for you.

A mux is like a frequency, with some other parameters, that contains (lots of) services. The services you will be interested in are most likely digital television and radio broadcasts.
The initial mux is usualy the only mux that a receiver, or tvheadend, needs to know. Once it knows the initial mux, it can autodetect all other muxes and services. As far as I know the initial mux contains some signal wich enables the receiver or tvheadend to detect the other muxes. Once this is done, it scans each mux for services. Your provider may also call the mux a 'transponder' or a 'multiplex'

I am not sure, but "start multiplexer" may be right in Germany. So to be on the safe side I explained what I meen by initial mux. Hope it helps.

Go to the webui of tvheadend. Next go to the "Configuration" tab. Next select the "TV Adapters" tab and here you can select your adapter from the drop-down menu. If you have only one adapter installed, maybe you do not have to select your adapter. I do not know because my machine has five.

So now you are in the "Adapter configuration" menu. Here you can type the nit other (if you should use it) and confirm. Leave the "Autodetect muxes" and "Idle Scanning" on.

Now you click on the "Multiplexes" tab. Remove all multiplexes that are already there, since they are wrong. Confirm your actions, click on the "Save changes" button.

Now click on the green + sign and you will get a popup window. It is in this window that you set your initial mux with the parameters you got from your provider.

NB: the frequency is in kHz, your provider may have given you the right value in Hz or something. You may have to experiment a little, but if it goes wrong, you can remove the new mux as I pointed out earlier.

Did your provider give you the info you wanted?

PS: If you want a better understanding of nit other and so on, you may want to have a look at this. It is in German. If you do, you may also be interested in the other tabs in the top line.

I was just investigating the Dutch version and wondered if it might have been translated.

- meandor - 2011-08-29

ok i got the data from my provider.

658000 khz
qam256
6900 kbaud

i added the multiplex and nothing happened.
my tv card is selected "Philips TDA10023 DVB-C"
and i saved everything as you told me.

this is what tvheadend says in the right column:

Status
Currently tuned to:
658,000 kHz
Services:
Muxes:
Muxes awaiting initial scan:

dont know what to do next, what i did wrong...

ps:
okay i completely reinstalled tvheadend (apt-get purge) and set everything up again as mentioned above.

now the status field says:
Status
Currently tuned to:
658,000 kHz
Services:
Muxes:
Muxes awaiting initial scan:
WHY OR HOW AM I STARTING THE INITIAL SCAN?

- bas.t - 2011-08-30

you probably need the network ID (aka nit Other) as well.

The initial scan autostarts, you don't have to start anything yourself. Tvheadend just needs the right settings. All of them.

And make sure your adapter is properly connected to the cable... I once forgot to do so and wondered why tvheadend could not find anything.

Addon system broken - martdj - 2011-08-31

@dushmaniac, are you aware of the fact that in the latest Linux XBMC+PVR build the addon system is broken? Just try to install a new addon, any addon and XBMC will crash. I noticed it today (I don't install new addons that often) and on searching found that more people were experiencing it and that it would probably be related to your XBMC+PVR build.

- opdenkamp - 2011-08-31

it's been fixed already. I'll push a new build later today containing the fix

- bas.t - 2011-09-01

dushmaniac Wrote:it's been fixed already. I'll push a new build later today containing the fix

@dushmaniac:
So I compiled today from pvr-ppa. It has not been fixed.Sad

Btw: why are all pvr clients 'blacklisted'?

Bug since update - dmfco - 2011-09-01

dushmaniac Wrote:it's been fixed already. I'll push a new build later today containing the fix

Have update and add-on browser no longer crashes for me however I am using the carmichael skin and since the update I can no longer scroll to the recently added on the home screen. This was working before I updated.

Any ideas?

Thanks