Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- Ruud - 2011-11-20

Hi Bram,

here are some answers:
- time shifting is not implemented
- I have not seen any planning for time shifting being implemented
- it is possible to record x channels if the channels are in the same mux (this is also the case for any program like mediaportal and myth = hardware limitation)
- it is best to use a external card reader
- I have no need for the experimental branch and use this pvr branch to full satisfaction (fulfills all my basic needs Smile). Dushmaniac 'frequently' merges the branches Nod

I was a long time user of MediaPortal but due to instabilities and in the end Windows driver issues (manufacturer woudn't help me unless I upgraded to windows 7...) I took the plunge and went the linux / xbmc way.... never looked back Smile Problem wasn't mediaportal but the OS it is running on No

Now for your errors: please provide logs / additional information otherwise nobody can help Shocked

regards,
Ruud.

- Kepler - 2011-11-20

Hopefully somebody can help me with this issue, because I have no clue what is going on Big Grin

I have installed TVheadend using this guide, but when I try to reach the TVheadend GUI it gives an error:

No data received
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

I am running Ubuntu Server 11.04, XBMC Pre-11.0 (Compiled Nov 12 2011) and TVheadend 2.12

I know very little about Linux, so that also maybe part of the problem Tongue

- Kepler - 2011-11-20

Found a (very simple) solution.

In Internet Explorer it works, but not in Chrome Smile

- Bram77 - 2011-11-20

It's working fine in Chrome and Firefox using Linux. That means it should work with Chrome in Windows.

- Kepler - 2011-11-21

Bram77 Wrote:It's working fine in Chrome and Firefox using Linux. That means it should work with Chrome in Windows.
I know, but for some reason it doesn't work on my Chrome Big Grin

- jacksback - 2011-11-23

OMG, I finally got TvHeadend working properly!! Smile

I ended up putting my twin tuner TBS6981 card into my server. I then installed Ubuntu 10.04 64bit Desktop, installed the tuner card drivers and manually added the TvHeadend package. It works perfectly on every channel!

I initially tried to install it on my HTPC but needed Ubuntu 10.10 for the required Intel HD drivers. I had endless hassles using my subscription card and always received "Got multiplexed packets but could not decode further" messages when scanning for channels. On 10.04 every single channel has worked perfectly!

And it's surprisingly quick changing channels and streaming the content to my HTPC.

I'm now going to focus on building a central Linux server for diskless XBMC clients, TV, PVR, and all my other digital media requirements.

Thanks so much to all the developers involved.

- martdj - 2011-11-25

I was wondering today. I saw that OpenElec.tv now also offers PVR packages. Is the TVHeadend PVR plugin from them the same one that Dushmaniac developed?

Question 2:
When I upgrade my Ubuntu 10.04 and it says it kept some packages back among which XBMC. As I read there were some problems with the latest PVR builds from Dushmaniac this didn't really bother me, but now I'm wondering if there are still problems with the latest package and if not how to force my Ubuntu 10.04 to install those updates?

Edit:
And an additional question. I still have the problem that the EPG is only updated on (re)starting XBMC and as my XBMC can run for weeks without a restart (I always use sleep mode), it's outdated after 3 days and all channels give a "No information available". Is there any way to force an EPG update, or even better a scheduled daily EPG update?

- XanDaph - 2011-11-25

Hi, I didn't upgrade my tvheadend version (2.12.99~git20110521.8281379~odk2~lucid) for a long time now. I've read the complete post again, but I'm not able to upgrade my tvheadend to the latest dushmaniac version. The latest version I can upgrade to is 2.12.99~git20111014.83c8467~odk1~lucid. I asume the first page script is to install both, I only want to upgrade my TVheadend.

I'm using a Tvheadend backend server without XBMC on it. Pls can someone point me in the right directionHuh

THANKS!!

- bas.t - 2011-11-25

XanDaph Wrote:Hi, I didn't upgrade my tvheadend version (2.12.99~git20110521.8281379~odk2~lucid) for a long time now. I've read the complete post again, but I'm not able to upgrade my tvheadend to the latest dushmaniac version. The latest version I can upgrade to is 2.12.99~git20111014.83c8467~odk1~lucid. I asume the first page script is to install both, I only want to upgrade my TVheadend.

I'm using a Tvheadend backend server without XBMC on it. Pls can someone point me in the right directionHuh

THANKS!!

You just have to comment out the line:
sudo apt-get -y install xbmc libcec
at the bottom of the script from page 1 before executing it.
Next do apt-get install tvheadend and you should be fine.

Or you could download tvheadend from here and install it with dpkg.

- Bitcrusher - 2011-11-28

Hi. I'm using tvheadend for a while now and am very happy how everything is working so far. Big thanks to Dushmaniac for all his work.

I do have a problem with a few HD channels. I live in Holland and use Ziggo as tv provider (as do more in this topic I understand). All HD channels play fine except the RTL channels. When I switch to the channel or start it from the list I only get a glitchy green screen. I do have sound though. As I understand it has something to do with the way the channels are encoded. Is there anything I can do so that XBMC is able to play the channels properly?

- XanDaph - 2011-11-28

bas.t Wrote:You just have to comment out the line:
sudo apt-get -y install xbmc libcec
at the bottom of the script from page 1 before executing it.
Next do apt-get install tvheadend and you should be fine.

Or you could download tvheadend from here and install it with dpkg.

Bas.t, thanks, I will try this!

- bas.t - 2011-11-29

Bitcrusher Wrote:Hi. I'm using tvheadend for a while now and am very happy how everything is working so far. Big thanks to Dushmaniac for all his work.

I do have a problem with a few HD channels. I live in Holland and use Ziggo as tv provider (as do more in this topic I understand). All HD channels play fine except the RTL channels. When I switch to the channel or start it from the list I only get a glitchy green screen. I do have sound though. As I understand it has something to do with the way the channels are encoded. Is there anything I can do so that XBMC is able to play the channels properly?

I'm on ziggo too, no problems with RTL HD here. Do you use the latest tvheadend (from the pulse-eight repo)? It has some fixes for HD streams.

- Bitcrusher - 2011-11-29

bas.t Wrote:I'm on ziggo too, no problems with RTL HD here. Do you use the latest tvheadend (from the pulse-eight repo)? It has some fixes for HD streams.

Thanks for your reply. Tvhaedend should auto update when running the pulse-eight script right? I now have version 2.12 installed. According to the pulse-eight repo, 2.12.99 is the latest. How can I check if that's the one I have, because it doesn't say in the web gui.

- bas.t - 2011-11-30

Bitcrusher Wrote:Thanks for your reply. Tvhaedend should auto update when running the pulse-eight script right? I now have version 2.12 installed. According to the pulse-eight repo, 2.12.99 is the latest. How can I check if that's the one I have, because it doesn't say in the web gui.

Go to the webui of tvheadend. Click on the 'about' tab. It should say:

HTS Tvheadend 2.12.99~pulse-2

The script does not install tvheadend, it does however install xbmc and the needed repo's for both xbmc and tvheadend.
So if you only want to upgrade tvheadend, comment out (or remove) the line that installs xbmc and libcec at the bottom of the script before executing it and next do apt-get upgrade.

- Bitcrusher - 2011-11-30

bas.t Wrote:Go to the webui of tvheadend. Click on the 'about' tab. It should say:

HTS Tvheadend 2.12.99~pulse-2

The script does not install tvheadend, it does however install xbmc and the needed repo's for both xbmc and tvheadend.
So if you only want to upgrade tvheadend, comment out (or remove) the line that installs xbmc and libcec at the bottom of the script before executing it and next do apt-get upgrade.

Thanks for your help so far. I tried changing the script, but it didn't work, so I installed the .deb file manualy from the pulse-eight repo. I now have 2.12.99~pulse-2 installed, but no luck. Still no RTL HD No.