Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

- bluray - 2011-08-02

Superorb Wrote:How about the E350 in XBMC Live and with 1080p high bitrate?

I keep reading that the E350 platform should only be used with Windows, and I refuse to buy a Win7 license just to run XBMC.
i cannot give you answer on xbmc live because i never use it. i use it with windows7 mce and xbmc 10.1 “Dharma”. it can playback bd (iso, m2ts, mkv, etc) in 1080p with dts-hd and turehd audio codecs flawless.

- Superorb - 2011-08-02

bluray Wrote:i cannot give you answer on xbmc live because i never use it. i use it with windows7 mce and xbmc 10.1 “Dharma”. it can playback bd (iso, m2ts, mkv, etc) in 1080p with dts-hd and turehd audio codecs flawless.
I know the Atom/ION setups can do 1080p easily, but I wonder about the ATI IGP in the E350 board.

- bluray - 2011-08-02

Superorb Wrote:I know the Atom/ION setups can do 1080p easily, but I wonder about the ATI IGP in the E350 board.
why do you want ati igp in ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU mobo? the combination of AMD E-350 APU and AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics in e350m1 board can playback bd 1080p with full dts-hd and truehd flawless. i'm watching avatar bd iso in full 1080p with dts-hd codec on a 56" hdtv now. the pq/aq are superb.

if you want more fire power, you can always install of these SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356"]PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430[/url] in it.

- Superorb - 2011-08-02

bluray Wrote:why do you want ati igp in ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU mobo? the combination of AMD E-350 APU and AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics in e350m1 board can playback bd 1080p with full dts-hd and truehd flawless. i'm watching avatar bd iso in full 1080p with dts-hd codec on a 56" hdtv now. the pq/aq are superb.

if you want more fire power, you can always install of these SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356"]PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430[/url] in it.
I think you're confused. IGP is integrated graphics processor, and that E350 board has the HD6310 integrated into the motherboard.

I don't want it because ATI doesn't play nice with Linux/Live, and like I mentioned before I am not willing to buy a Win7 license just to use the free XBMC. You're on Win7, so the fact that it can play anything flawlessly does not apply to me.

- bluray - 2011-08-02

Superorb Wrote:I think you're confused. IGP is integrated graphics processor, and that E350 board has the HD6310 integrated into the motherboard.

I don't want it because ATI doesn't play nice with Linux/Live, and like I mentioned before I am not willing to buy a Win7 license just to use the free XBMC. You're on Win7, so the fact that it can play anything flawlessly does not apply to me.
i knew that, and i thought that you're confused. if ASRock E350M1/USB3 that i suggested already has the integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics and it can playback everything i threw at it, why would you want another igp integrated graphics processor in it? you're right, maybe it may not be for you because you'll not use windows 7. if somebody have tried Linux/Live on E350M1, maybe he or she can give you some input on it.

it seems that you already knew what you wanted in the new system. if it is not the case, let me ask you this- how much money do you want to spend on the new system? it is a lot easier for everyone in here to suggest a new system to you.

- Superorb - 2011-08-02

bluray Wrote:i knew that, and i thought that you're confused. if ASRock E350M1/USB3 that i suggested already has the integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics and it can playback everything i threw at it, why would you want another igp integrated graphics processor in it? you're right, maybe it may not be for you because you'll not use windows 7. if somebody have tried Linux/Live on E350M1, maybe he or she can give you some input on it.

it seems that you already knew what you wanted in the new system. if it is not the case, let me ask you this- how much money do you want to spend on the new system? it is a lot easier for everyone in here to suggest a new system to you.
If I was using Win7 the E350 would've been perfect as it is for you. I did find out that I'd need a pretty beefy setup to emulate Wii games, and that's not something I want to do at the moment. Budget is roughly $300, but I already have a 2.5" hard drive, and if I go with an LGA775 chipset I can reuse my CPU and RAM from my main PC.

- bluray - 2011-08-02

Superorb Wrote:If I was using Win7 the E350 would've been perfect as it is for you. I did find out that I'd need a pretty beefy setup to emulate Wii games, and that's not something I want to do at the moment. Budget is roughly $300, but I already have a 2.5" hard drive, and if I go with an LGA775 chipset I can reuse my CPU and RAM from my main PC.
Let me short it out for you- you already have ssd, cpu and ram. you want to build a new mini-itx htpc using the existing components, and it is for xbmc live and linux.

this should work:

1. SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B or APEX MI-008
2. Zotac GeForce 9300
3. Silenx IXP7409 iXtrema Pro Fan
4. LG Black 12X BD-ROM
5. HP OEM Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control

if you have some left over money, you can add one of these SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356"]PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430[/url] to give you more fire power and head room. i think that you'll be happy with this new htpc!

- Superorb - 2011-08-02

Thanks Smile

Where is my prob - jcarmi04 - 2011-08-04

Sorry, you prob might ask for more info...but...

Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
Intel Quad Q8200 (2.33)
8 GB
Win7 Premium

Had the problem on Dharma, and tried the latest Nightly and same issue. When using XBMC it really bogs down my system - noticeable when using dual monitors and trying to multi-task and also just simply using XBMC alone. I have not tried to isolate the problem as I hope it is an easy answer for the community.

Why I am posting to this thread: Since I am tossing between an ATV2 and a build for a 4th(?) XBMC system and the 120 is pimped out here...but I'm scared since I don't know where/from what my chugalugging is occurring.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!!

- poofyhairguy - 2011-08-04

jcarmi04 Wrote:Had the problem on Dharma, and tried the latest Nightly and same issue. When using XBMC it really bogs down my system - noticeable when using dual monitors and trying to multi-task and also just simply using XBMC alone. I have not tried to isolate the problem as I hope it is an easy answer for the community.

XBMC's interface uses a lot of resources. It is not really a program I would use while other programs were in use. Its a "full screen" kind of program.

- jcarmi04 - 2011-08-05

poofyhairguy, do you have a system in mind that could run XBMC side by side with other apps? My new build is going to be used solely for XBMC, so it sounds like you're saying not to worry about the 120 in that build/system. Cheers!

- jcarmi04 - 2011-08-05

Never mind, poofyhairguy et al, my video RAM is wayyyyy lacking! I imagine the 120 with the proper specs would be quite amazing! Thanks!

- SmokedMalt - 2011-08-05

Never heard of HTPC's until like 2 days ago... I was up until like 3am reading the recommended threads (a$$ dragging here at work today) and my head is spinning; so many options!

Forgive me if I missed it but I'm confused about using OpenElec... I see recommendations for installing OS on a SSD but, if OpenElec boots off a usb drive, do I need a hdd in the HTPC? (my media is on NAS)

Oh, and thanks for this awesome resource!!!

- eskro - 2011-08-05

SmokedMalt Wrote:I see recommendations for installing OS on a SSD but, if OpenElec boots off a usb drive, do I need a hdd in the HTPC?

nope, no need for an hdd if u use OpenELEC

- SmokedMalt - 2011-08-05

eskro Wrote:nope, no need for an hdd if u use OpenELEC

Thanks! I thought OpenELEC might need a local disk for downloading fan art or something.