Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

- nikc0069 - 2011-09-08

bluray Wrote:if you have no problem connecting sound output directly from htpc to avr, i'm recommending it. it's always better to connect the source directly to avr.

I have some slight idosyncracies on my setup with the ATV2 but it is working fine. Smile

i though that your avr is not supporting dts. if it is not, you can get 5.1 by not selecting "dts support" in xbmc. if it is supporting dts, you need to select it.

It supports DTS. It is old, but not that old Wink

I noitced you are trying to update your hdd and ram. let me ask you this- are you trying to playback hd audio?

No I won't be at present but eventually I will be upgrading my amp and speaker setup (probably when I have a bigger house) so then it would come in handy Smile I'm generally just looking for a bit of an upgrade to the atv2 - I work in IT and used to work selling higher-end hifi and home cinema so will take advantage of my trade prices at some point Big Grin

- bluray - 2011-09-08

nikc0069 Wrote:No I won't be at present but eventually I will be upgrading my amp and speaker setup (probably when I have a bigger house) so then it would come in handy Smile I'm generally just looking for a bit of an upgrade to the atv2 - I work in IT and used to work selling higher-end hifi and home cinema so will take advantage of my trade prices at some point Big Grin
are you building a new htpc or updating the existing htpc? what is your mobo?

Dell Zino 410 group? - darkangellas - 2011-09-10

This question moved to "Group #" thread.

- nikc0069 - 2011-09-18

bluray Wrote:are you building a new htpc or updating the existing htpc? what is your mobo?

Sorry, just been on holiday. Building a new one. No more questions I'm decided on this build and think I know what I'm doing. Smile

- bluray - 2011-09-18

nikc0069 Wrote:Sorry, just been on holiday. Building a new one. No more questions I'm decided on this build and think I know what I'm doing. Smile
good luck! if you run into any trouble, you can always come back here for help.

noob - vzey - 2011-09-22

I've just bought a Revo 3700 (with a 320gig HDD and 4 gig ram - haven't received it yet)
I'm planning to install Openelec/XBMC on it.

I want it to boot really fast - should I purchase an SD card, USB stick or SSD for it? (will an SSD fit where the 320gig drive is?)

I'm planning on streaming media off my Windows 7 computer that has all the storage in it until I can afford another lower power storage solution. (any tips on those?)

Thanks

- eskro - 2011-09-22

Openelec is made to run from TF card or USB Flash Drives....
its not an heavy O/S so, it should boot fine,,,
check youtube videos,
i know some show u how fast it boots...
i wouldnt buy an SSD for openELEC...

- Superorb - 2011-09-22

My OpenELEC setup boots in 24 seconds from a class 4 SDcard. It wakes from sleep in about 1-2 seconds though.

- eskro - 2011-09-22

sounds perfect to me!

- Superorb - 2011-09-22

I switched to a spindle HD and it dropped boot times by only a few seconds, nothing major. I needed the space to store movies when we move the HTPC to somewhere I don't have access to my server.

- vzey - 2011-09-23

what if i used this class 10 card?
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_57910_Team_SDHC_Extreme_Fast_16GB_Class_10_SD_card_20MBS
It writes at 20mb/s which is alot quicker than the class4 card @Superorb uses?

- bricktop - 2011-09-25

thanks for this thread eskro its been very helpfull, can i ask why you dont cover gpu's?

- bluray - 2011-09-25

bricktop Wrote:thanks for this thread eskro its been very helpfull, can i ask why you dont cover gpu's?
what do you have in mind?

- bricktop - 2011-09-25

im looking at this one, i wont be doing any gaming with this system.

- bluray - 2011-09-25

bricktop Wrote:im looking at this one, i wont be doing any gaming with this system.
for £51.69, you can have this Asus GT 430 1GB DDR3 with better options or this HIS HD 6450 Silence Edition 1GB DDR3.