Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

- eskro - 2011-12-22

if not done already, charlie0440, please, create a complete new thread

- jnelsontn - 2011-12-23

jnelsontn Wrote:I haven't really been following too much of the current technology but I've been thinking about building one of the A8 configurations listed in the OP, could the A8 builds handle running an emulator such as Dolphin (wii)?

I plan on building an HTPC to run MAME/SNES/Sega Genesis games (my main PC is a 27" i7 iMAC)... not watching blu ray video or anything as I stream from my iMAC to my ATV2 for that (blu ray rips).

Thanks guys.

Can an A8 handle the wii Dolphin emulator? Thanks.

- bluray - 2011-12-23

jnelsontn Wrote:Can an A8 handle the wii Dolphin emulator? Thanks.
Go back to post #656, and it is just under your post #655!

Building my Own HTPC and trying to match parts - roland6543 - 2011-12-25

Hi Guys,
Having carefully looked through Eskros recommended builds, then shopping on line, then finding some parts not available, then consolidating shipping where possible (not too much free shipping in Canada), I've tried my best to replace the recommended parts with a close match. I have listed my proposed system below, and wish to know if it is a good balance of components. I guess I was targeting a group #7 machine in general, but actually my priorities are:
  • Play any divx, and other format up to 1080p via HDMI cable to my TV;
  • Direct optical audio to my 5.1 audio system by optical cable;
  • Smooth use of XBMC with huge library and lots of cool fanart;
  • Eventually, when I can afford a 3D TV, be able to play SBS 3D formats to the TV;
  • Lower power consumptions (relative to my current always on system;
  • Content to come from WHS via Gigabyte ethernet, through ASUS RT-N56U Router.
  • Quiet

So my proposed system (running Windows 7):
  • Two Fractal Design Silent Series 80MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1400RPM 16.0CFM 11DBA W/ Rubber Fasteners
  • Silverstone Milo ML03B Black mATX HTPC Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT USB3 Supports 4 80MM Case Fan
  • Seasonic SS-400ET 400W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM
  • AMD A6-3500 APU W/ AMD Radeon 65XX HD GFX Triple Core Processor Socket FM1 2.1GHZ 3MB 65W Retail Box
  • Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664BA160A 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 1.5V CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
  • Gigabyte A75M-D2H mATX AMD FM1 A75 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI DDR3 HDMI DVI SATA3 USB 3.0 *IR-$2*

Will this work as I require it? Are there any weak links, or for that matter any components that are overkill, since this is exclusively a HTPC machine (no games).

As always.... thank so much to the helpful members here, without which I would still be in the dark ages.

- bluray - 2011-12-25

For a very low power consumption APU, I wouldn't go for more than 300W PSU. If you preferred to stay with Seasonic, this one should be a great choice- SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W.

You'll enjoy the A6-3500! Smile

If you can find this "Gateway AMD A6-3600" at Bestbuy in Canada, it might be something to consider too!

- eskro - 2011-12-25

please create your own thread roland6543. thx

"Gateway AMD A6-3600" at Bestbuy in Canada, not a chance....

[MOBO] http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157260

- Terron - 2011-12-26

eskro Wrote:Q. Out of those builds, which one can be used with XBMC Live (Linux)?
A. Except the A6 & A8 builds, all of them!!

Q. Out of those builds, which one can be used with OpenELEC version of XBMC (Linux)?
A. Except the A6 & A8 builds, all of them!!
Do these work at all with Linux? Is it a driver issue?

Thanks for the helpful info.

- eskro - 2011-12-26

yes, drivers are the issue.

HTPC newbie / AMD issue - Dragonlance - 2011-12-29

Hi Eskro, this is my first post after reading a tons of thread about xbmc and which system should be w/o problems.....Rolleyes
I really appreciate Ur big work and 'fore buy my new hardware i tried an "old" machine [C2D, amd/ati 4670 hdmi, 2GB ddr2 and so on..] to experiment some linux build.
The results aren't really good because under the live distro i got many stuttering problems and under a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.10 i can't hear anything more than 2ch No
My question to u is quite simple: is the A6 build (i choosen the group 7) free of problems installing Ubuntu + XBMC or should i get a Nvidia card?
Ty again 4 ur work.

- eskro - 2011-12-29

why dont u try openELEC with your old machine first?

- Dragonlance - 2011-12-30

I'll do tomorrow. Now I'm too tired to get another match with issues...
Btw my "old" machine is for test only, that's why i ask'd U about the hardware builds.. I'm scared to fight against compatibility, drivers, operating system, patch and so on instead watch movies Rolleyes
Ty again for your courtesy.

- eskro - 2011-12-30

right on!

- bluray - 2011-12-30

Dragonlance Wrote:I'll do tomorrow. Now I'm too tired to get another match with issues...
Btw my "old" machine is for test only, that's why i ask'd U about the hardware builds.. I'm scared to fight against compatibility, drivers, operating system, patch and so on instead watch movies Rolleyes
Ty again for your courtesy.
If you don't want headache, this very small form factor AMD A6-3600 "Gateway SX2370-UB30P" will playback all your BD files in full 1080P video and bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD audio to your AVR via HDMI. It is very well equipped with all the latest technology (Windows 7 is included too) for $349. It is ready for XBMC out of the box. Smile

- Dragonlance - 2011-12-30

I'm back with good news NodNod
With openElec finally it works!!!! I'm really happy and i'm trying all kind of files to test it but it's really cool NodNod
Ty Eskro 4 your help!

Now i'm ready to build the new HTPC, probably a a6/micro atx 'cause i wish to add the TV / PVR funciton.

@bluray: It's a good idea, tnx. I'll keep in mind! Now i'm pretty busy with addons, skins and test Big GrinBig Grin
Last but not least i must shop from EU.

GJ guys!! ty all!

- eskro - 2011-12-30

FTW Dragonlance!!