Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - teki4u - 2012-08-10

(2012-05-10, 00:39)Frankie Spankie Wrote: Hi, new to these forums. I've spent the past couple of hours looking into building my own HTPC. I've read the topic and looked through some of the builds and was just looking for some advice.

Essentially, I really just want to make an HTPC that works as an HD DVR and work with Netflix. I saw in the Q&A that all the Micro-ATX builds work fine as a DVR.

Do you recommend any video capture cards in particular? And will the video capture card eliminate the need for my cable box? I'm fine with paying a little more for a video capture card that I can use a cable card in to save some money on monthly payments to my cable company.

And I'm looking into the XBMCbuntu program. Reading up on it, it sounds like it's just a version of Linux. I've heard some people have a lot of issues with setting up Linux (I've only known a couple of friends who have ever worked with Linux). How hard is it to get set up?

Thanks for the help!

I am interested in this project Smile is what i want to do but dunno how. BTW there is an alternative for DVR here, that together with the Mohu Antenna sounds great!

Also i would like to know if users with ZOTAC Zbox and AMD APU, E-series processor have tried to install Android 4.0 in it, how was the experience?

BTW ZOTAC released a new model: http://liliputing.com/2012/08/zotac-zbox-id84-mini-pc-combines-intel-cedar-trail-nvidia-graphics.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

~ V

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Palmer - 2012-08-12

Can anyone let me know if it makes any sense to try and use my old hp pavilion amd athlon 64x2 4200+ a1710n case, psu, and DVD drive to build a decent htpc? I wanted to see about saving a few dollars. Interested in maybe doing amd a6 or a8 htpc build if anyone has suggestions? I believe it's a micro atx style case but no idea the psu power? The system as it sits is just horrible for video, dead slow with iTunes and horrible start up. It will be used for Internet browsing, downloading and streaming videos to 40 inch LCD. Let me know what u think or should I just get rid of the old parts and start fresh.

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Palmer - 2012-08-12

(2012-08-12, 05:37)Palmer Wrote: Can anyone let me know if it makes any sense to try and use my old hp pavilion amd athlon 64x2 4200+ a1710n case, psu, and DVD drive to build a decent htpc? I wanted to see about saving a few dollars. Interested in maybe doing amd a6 or a8 htpc build if anyone has suggestions? I believe it's a micro atx style case but no idea the psu power? The system as it sits is just horrible for video, dead slow with iTunes and horrible start up. It will be used for Internet browsing, downloading and streaming videos to 40 inch LCD. Let me know what u think or should I just get rid of the old parts and start fresh.

Or does anyone think this old system could be upgraded cheaply enough with say some more ram, cheap video card to make it a viable htpc? Of course I'd still have to purchase windows 7 and an ssd. Man not sure what to do.

RE: Your Very First HTPC? CPU/gpu question - newpipe - 2012-08-17

Hi!
(2012-08-01, 16:19)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-01, 15:22)mustangjim1 Wrote: Planning to use i3 2525 which has built in hd3000 gpu running at 1100 frequency. Is the built in graphics enough to run blu ray at full hd? This will be strictly an XBMC dedicated build.
Yes, and there is no need for a discrete GPU.....
Is the GPU of the Celeron G540 also capable of playing HD content which is encoded in h.264 or MPEG4(HD TV)?

RE: Your Very First HTPC? CPU/gpu question - bluray - 2012-08-17

(2012-08-17, 14:25)newpipe Wrote: Hi!
(2012-08-01, 16:19)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-01, 15:22)mustangjim1 Wrote: Planning to use i3 2525 which has built in hd3000 gpu running at 1100 frequency. Is the built in graphics enough to run blu ray at full hd? This will be strictly an XBMC dedicated build.
Yes, and there is no need for a discrete GPU.....
Is the GPU of the Celeron G540 also capable of playing HD content which is encoded in h.264 or MPEG4(HD TV)?
Yes....

RE: Your Very First HTPC? CPU/gpu question - newpipe - 2012-08-18

(2012-08-17, 15:54)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 14:25)newpipe Wrote: Is the GPU of the Celeron G540 also capable of playing HD content which is encoded in h.264 or MPEG4(HD TV)?
Yes....
Thanks!

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - bluray - 2012-08-20

(2012-07-30, 05:32)assassin Wrote: Seriously can someone (mods?) please update the first post to correct the blatant misinformation about the G530?

It does bitstream HD Audio. Let's correct this misinformation. Maybe include the opinion of people that have actually used some of these options?
I know eSkro is in this forum, but he is not taking suggestion from you.......Sad

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - assassin - 2012-08-21

(2012-08-20, 18:37)bluray Wrote:
(2012-07-30, 05:32)assassin Wrote: Seriously can someone (mods?) please update the first post to correct the blatant misinformation about the G530?

It does bitstream HD Audio. Let's correct this misinformation. Maybe include the opinion of people that have actually used some of these options?
I know eSkro is in this forum, but he is not taking suggestion from you.......Sad

That's okay. There are other guides and viewpoints available out there. Wink

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - bluray - 2012-08-21

(2012-08-21, 00:26)assassin Wrote:
(2012-08-20, 18:37)bluray Wrote:

That's okay. There are other guides and viewpoints available out there. Wink
I'm still Sad. Since it is a guide thread, he should update the thread with the correct information as suggested.....it'll be helpful to new builder who want to spend as little as possible for bitstreaming hardware......

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - newguy1 - 2012-08-25

HELP!!!

Too much content, technology changes, my brain hurts, real bad......Big Grin

I'm looking for a cheap implementation of an HTPC. Budget of $100 to $150 if possible, am I smoking the crack?

I have no idea where to start, I'm looking to run Netflix, Blurays, basic surfing (Youtube, Network station surfing/streaming, Hulu, etc), Antenna/PVR (tv tuner), Network connectivity to play files from a server.

my needs are:

HDMI/Audio over HDMI (decoded by the amp, not the card), horizontal case, bluray player.

No idea what size case I need, but the obvious answer is the smaller, the better.

I think that's it, but I really don't know what I'm not thinking about.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - teki4u - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-25, 04:36)newguy1 Wrote: HELP!!!

Too much content, technology changes, my brain hurts, real bad......Big Grin

I'm looking for a cheap implementation of an HTPC. Budget of $100 to $150 if possible, am I smoking the crack?

I have no idea where to start, I'm looking to run Netflix, Blurays, basic surfing (Youtube, Network station surfing/streaming, Hulu, etc), Antenna/PVR (tv tuner), Network connectivity to play files from a server.

my needs are:

HDMI/Audio over HDMI (decoded by the amp, not the card), horizontal case, bluray player.

No idea what size case I need, but the obvious answer is the smaller, the better.

I think that's it, but I really don't know what I'm not thinking about.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Yes you're smoking the crack... tv tuner + bluray player is way on top of the $150.

If you're thinking on build a HTPC with that budget forget about it. Your best bet will be purchasing a cheap box powered with Android 4.0+ OS, though XBMC for android is still in early stage or Apple TV/TV2 (at 720p TOP) still no tv tunner and no bluray player.

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - newguy1 - 2012-08-25

K, slash the tuner, and I'll put the bluray on hold, is the budget there to support the basic box/power supply/motherboard/memory/cpu/etc?

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - teki4u - 2012-08-25

The cheapest boxes like foxconn and jetway price range is $200+ for Barebone PC , you may find prices lower than that but those are still Barebone PC with old hardware and most likely used PC's

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - dlmartin53 - 2012-08-25

Hi All,
New to this site and have been reading this thread. I want to know if the motherboards have been updated somewhere. The original post is quite old and some of the mobo's are not available.
Thanks for the help and this post.
Donald

RE: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - assassin - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-25, 17:33)dlmartin53 Wrote: Hi All,
New to this site and have been reading this thread. I want to know if the motherboards have been updated somewhere. The original post is quite old and some of the mobo's are not available.
Thanks for the help and this post.
Donald

Here is my guide: assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=160