Kodi Community Forum
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) (/showthread.php?tid=94268)

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - clemson_ny - 2015-10-09

Hello-

I used to have an Apple TV 2, but that is now outdated. I mainly will use this for watching movies, tv shows, and streaming live sporting events. I guess the Asus Chromebox is something that would fit my needs. Would you agree? Also, is there a specific keyboard I would have to buy or does any wireless keyboard work? I really liked how Rowmote would work on my iPhone to operate Apple TV. I'm guessing there probably isn't an app for iPhone for this, so what's the best, cost effective solution for a keyboard? Thanks for your help in advance.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - nickr - 2015-10-09

Do you want a keyboard as a remote, or just to set up the chromebox via Matt's script? If the former, check out chromebox (wiki) . If the latter, any wired usb keyboard is fine.

There are iOS and android remotes for kodi.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - wrxtasy - 2015-10-10

To save some time and hunting around there is a Developer Screen - Compatible wireless keyboards list for the Chromebox here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211797

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - noggin - 2015-10-10

(2015-10-09, 22:25)clemson_ny Wrote: Hello-

I used to have an Apple TV 2, but that is now outdated. I mainly will use this for watching movies, tv shows, and streaming live sporting events. I guess the Asus Chromebox is something that would fit my needs. Would you agree? Also, is there a specific keyboard I would have to buy or does any wireless keyboard work? I really liked how Rowmote would work on my iPhone to operate Apple TV. I'm guessing there probably isn't an app for iPhone for this, so what's the best, cost effective solution for a keyboard? Thanks for your help in advance.

The Chromebox BIOS will only work with some keyboards as it rigorously enforces a part of the USB spec (to allow for very quick booting) which lots of keyboards don't meet. So you will need a compatible keyboard for performing the initial installation of Kodi. If you want to run a dual boot system with Chrome OS still installed then you will also need this type of keyboard to switch between the two OSs at boot, as it is the BIOS that selects between Chrome OS and Legacy OS booting.

However, if you go for a single boot (or dual boot between Legacy OSs with a boot loader rather than BIOS selection) setup, just to run OpenElec or Kodibuntu, then you only need the compatible keyboard for an initial install. Once you've done the install any keyboard will work at the OS level (it's just the BIOS level that is picky)

So you could use a cabled keyboard for the original install, and then an "incompatible" keyboard (Logitech 400 is a popular one I believe?) for day-to-day use in a single boot set-up.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - spenna316 - 2015-10-11

NOOB Alert.

Hi all, just looking for some feedback about the best box for live TV (via KODI). I prefer not to go the wireless route, will use an ethernet cable so a stick or USB drive isn't something I want to go with.

No need for a big library...I just want something that will play LIVE TV with as little issues as possible. Thanks again all. Really appreciate it.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - wrxtasy - 2015-10-11

Cheapest solution either a RPi2 or ODROID-C1+ and a USB Tuner and run OpenELEC / Kodi
Chromebox and a USB Tuner if you want something faster.
Most integrated tidy solution is a WeTek Play as the Tuner plugs in neatly and flush into the box.

Add a HDD if you want to record something.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - noggin - 2015-10-11

(2015-10-11, 01:17)spenna316 Wrote: NOOB Alert.

Hi all, just looking for some feedback about the best box for live TV (via KODI). I prefer not to go the wireless route, will use an ethernet cable so a stick or USB drive isn't something I want to go with.

No need for a big library...I just want something that will play LIVE TV with as little issues as possible. Thanks again all. Really appreciate it.

What wrxtasy says - though where are you based and what platform do you receive your TV on? There are multiple Live TV standards in use around the world - and some are easier to handle in Kodi (or more accurately the backends are)i than others.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - SABERZAID - 2015-10-11

what you guys think of my device : Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with Intel Coreā„¢ i5 with windows 10 and kodi auto startup

before i was running openelec but i said it is better to install windows 10 so it can take the advantage of the device , any ideas?

my usage is : full hd movies , 3d movies , and movie streaming ,

Windows is a better bet if you want Netflix (particularly in 1080p) and Amazon streaming. You will also need to use Windows and a 3rd party 3D Blu-ray playback program (WinDVD or similar) to playback 3D Blu-ray content in Full HD. You DON'T need an external player (or to run Windows) if you are playing SBS/TAB content (most of which is half-HD resolution as it squeezes left and right eye images into a single HD resolution stream - and appears to most bits of Kodi as being in 2D)

You will also get Dolby Digital + audio with Netflix if you use the Windows 10 Netflix app (you only, I think, get stereo audio in the browser version) Windows also supports interlaced VC-1 content replay with hardware acceleration, unlike Linux (there is a long-term ongoing issue with Intel's Linux drivers). This is an issue for some TV series and Music Concert Blu-rays. However with an i5 I suspect software decoding will be possible of interlaced VC-1 in Linux so that may be less of an issue.

However stuff like remote control is a bit more complex in Windows than it is in OpenElec. For purely a media playback device - without Netflix, I'd go OpenElec. It's quicker to boot, has fewer chances of annoying disturbances (Windows pop ups anyone?) whilst viewing, no issues around AntiVirus etc.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - brijay - 2015-10-11

Difference between the m8 and m8s ? which one is better

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - SABERZAID - 2015-10-11

(2015-10-11, 13:55)noggin Wrote: Windows is a better bet if you want Netflix (particularly in 1080p) and Amazon streaming. You will also need to use Windows and a 3rd party 3D Blu-ray playback program (WinDVD or similar) to playback 3D Blu-ray content in Full HD. You DON'T need an external player (or to run Windows) if you are playing SBS/TAB content (most of which is half-HD resolution as it squeezes left and right eye images into a single HD resolution stream - and appears to most bits of Kodi as being in 2D)

You will also get Dolby Digital + audio with Netflix if you use the Windows 10 Netflix app (you only, I think, get stereo audio in the browser version) Windows also supports interlaced VC-1 content replay with hardware acceleration, unlike Linux (there is a long-term ongoing issue with Intel's Linux drivers). This is an issue for some TV series and Music Concert Blu-rays. However with an i5 I suspect software decoding will be possible of interlaced VC-1 in Linux so that may be less of an issue.

However stuff like remote control is a bit more complex in Windows than it is in OpenElec. For purely a media playback device - without Netflix, I'd go OpenElec. It's quicker to boot, has fewer chances of annoying disturbances (Windows pop ups anyone?) whilst viewing, no issues around AntiVirus etc.
Well . My use is oy media playback in kodi addons . 3d or full hd . All i watch via addons . So ist better to put back the openelec . And what do you think of nvidia shield vs my nuc in this case whos better

You won't find add ons that allow you to watch content illegally discussed here - if that is what you are asking about.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - brijay - 2015-10-11

Difference between the m8 and m8s ? which one is better
Anyone help please

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - nickr - 2015-10-12

(2015-10-11, 18:02)brijay Wrote: Difference between the m8 and m8s ? which one is better
Anyone help please
Please don't just re-post the same question, particularly when only two hours has passed.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - wrxtasy - 2015-10-12

(2015-10-11, 18:02)brijay Wrote: Difference between the m8 and m8s ? which one is better
Anyone help please
- M8 has a AMLogic S802
- M8S has a AMLogic S812

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/amlogic-stb-socs-comparison-aml8726-mx-s802-s805-and-s812/

Both are likely "Fully Loaded" with a whole bunch of illegal add ons that will get no support from users here on the Kodi forum.
Both will have rubbish firmware and Hardware reliability will be questionable.
I would only buy one of these boxes to wipe Android and put OpenELEC on it, but even than there are better boxes around.

Proper Firmware and after sales support is the most important consideration when buying a Android / Kodi box.
You get what you pay for in the Android marketspace.

NVIDIA, MINIX and WeTek are the guys that will give you decent Android Firmware to run Kodi.