Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] ESPN3.com Addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] ESPN3.com Addon (/showthread.php?tid=95053)

- WildBill - 2011-09-04

bigd Wrote:First off, great job on the plugin! It's the start of the football season and I'm happily watching games right now! Things look beautiful on an AppleTV2 Big Grin

When I first started using the plugin, I noticed that I could watch replay events no problem, but when I tried to use the Live stream, it would buffer a couple times, then quit. I know that I'm not the only one having this problem, from reading the posts on this thread. For me, it was indeed a bandwidth issue, so I went and looked at the default.py and found this bit of code:

Code:
#live selects stream quality
        #200000,400000,800000,1200000,1800000
        #     0,     1,     2,      3,      4
        #     Lowest, Low,   Medium,  High, Highest
        #Change the [4] to 0-4 to change the bitrate
        if 'ondemand' in rtmp:
            playpath = soup.findAll('video')[quality]['src']
            finalurl = rtmp+'/?'+auth+' playpath='+playpath
        elif 'live' in rtmp:
            playpath = soup.findAll('video')[4]['src']
            finalurl = rtmp+' live=1 playlist=1 subscribe='+playpath+' playpath='+playpath+'?'+auth

So you're only using the quality setting (which defaults to medium 800k) for on demand events, but for live events you're hard coding it to 4, which is 1800k. I have a 1.5meg(1500k) DSL connection, so obviously it's choking when trying to do an 1800k stream.

So, I changed that line in default.py from
Code:

to

Code:
playpath = soup.findAll('video')[3]['src']

to make it default from an 1800k stream, to a 1200k stream and voila, it works beautifully.

Was there a specific reason you hard coded the live stream to alwasy be 1800k and not use the quality setting? I know that 1.5meg DSL is a common connection speed, and everyone out there with under a 2mbit connection is going to choke whenever trying to do live streams.

For anyone who's having this problem and feel comfortable enough changing your default.py, that's the change you can make to fix the bandwidth problem on the live stream. Ideally, I think it should be modified to use the configurable quality setting.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Thanks that worked now I dont get kicked off a live stream

- ksosez - 2011-09-04

Yeah my bad I forgot to set that in the settings I'll write that up and push it out.
bigd Wrote:First off, great job on the plugin! It's the start of the football season and I'm happily watching games right now! Things look beautiful on an AppleTV2 Big Grin

When I first started using the plugin, I noticed that I could watch replay events no problem, but when I tried to use the Live stream, it would buffer a couple times, then quit. I know that I'm not the only one having this problem, from reading the posts on this thread. For me, it was indeed a bandwidth issue, so I went and looked at the default.py and found this bit of code:

- ksosez - 2011-09-04

There is something weird going on there. Its balking at a https link it looks like but I cant be sure (it also doesnt make much sense). Can you turn on debugging in the settings and send me the full log? Thanks

rtietjen Wrote:I've looked in the forum for anyone else reporting this, but I do not see anything recently.

On my Apple Tv Gen 1 I installed then plugin today and received a script error. Reading in the forum I found that I may need to update to a new nightly build, which I did to 20110902. I also updated the default.py to the file from dahlSTROM. Still no luck on the script error.

I've installed the plugin on a darma XBMC on mac and with the updated default.py it works which should rule out the SWID, but it still was not working on the apple tv gen 1.

- Slayer_ch - 2011-09-04

This is really great but it doesn't work in Europe. Could you adapt it that it works with ESPNPlayer in Europe?

- emilsvennesson - 2011-09-04

Slayer_ch Wrote:This is really great but it doesn't work in Europe. Could you adapt it that it works with ESPNPlayer in Europe?

It does. Works perfectly for me here in Sweden.

- kreeturez - 2011-09-04

Code:
#live selects stream quality
        #200000,400000,800000,1200000,1800000
        #     0,     1,     2,      3,      4
        #     Lowest, Low,   Medium,  High, Highest
        #Change the [4] to 0-4 to change the bitrate
        if 'ondemand' in rtmp:
            finalurl = rtmp+'/?'+auth+' playpath='+playpath
        elif 'live' in rtmp:
            finalurl = rtmp+' live=1 playlist=1 subscribe='+playpath+' playpath='+playpath+'?'+auth

So you're only using the quality setting (which defaults to medium 800k) for on demand events, but for live events you're hard coding it to 4, which is 1800k. I have a 1.5meg(1500k) DSL connection, so obviously it's choking when trying to do an 1800k stream.

So, I changed that line in default.py from
Code:

to

Code:
playpath = soup.findAll('video')[3]['src']

to make it default from an 1800k stream, to a 1200k stream and voila, it works beautifully.

+1 - works brilliantly!

For me, I changed the live code to match the quality selection of the on-demand code, like this:

Code:

...and it works great; no more buffering.

Thanks for this!!

And thanks, ksosez, for a great plugin - it just made it's way onto my Favorites list Smile

- cashinstinct - 2011-09-04

Thanks for your hard work.

However, whatever I try to play, I get "Error script failed: Plugin.video.espn3" on Apple TV 2.

I installed using Bluecop repo, I run the latest sept 3 2011 XBMC build, original firmware for Apple TV 2 (4.2.1 equivalent I think? ).

- Macpatto - 2011-09-04

Big THANKS for bigd....

That little trick worked great.. Watching live stream playoffs(golf).. and some FiFa soccer beach world cup.. Wink
Thanks, Thanks.

Now.. gotta figure out how replace the default.py on my Mac.
==> Go it to work now.. was looking on the wrong section on my mac..

- ksosez - 2011-09-04

Guys I am going to push something to the repo tomorrow, that fixes a couple of minor bugs and the livestream quality issue (so it can be set via preference).

Just giving everyone a heads up so they wont get blindsided (if anyone did any custom code).

- rtietjen - 2011-09-04

ksosez Wrote:There is something weird going on there. Its balking at a https link it looks like but I cant be sure (it also doesnt make much sense). Can you turn on debugging in the settings and send me the full log? Thanks

Here is the full log from the video addons menu to trying to launch a EuroBasketball game. When I originally set up my xbmc on the apple, I also manually installed firefox version 3.6.2. I have verified that I can get and maintain a SSL connection natively on the browser.

Thanks for the help.

- vitek - 2011-09-05

Anyone know if this plugin will be able to show the nhl games this season?

- WildBill - 2011-09-05

vitek Wrote:Anyone know if this plugin will be able to show the nhl games this season?
By going to espn3.com and clicking on upcoming there is no hockey games on the list. That does not mean it will not be added or you could try sportsdevil addon

- vitek - 2011-09-05

WildBill Wrote:By going to espn3.com and clicking on upcoming there is no hockey games on the list. That does not mean it will not be added or you could try sportsdevil addon

Just got the info that nhl gamecenter live will be worldwide. Might be the wrong place to ask but is there an addon for Gamecenter live out there somewhere?

- ksosez - 2011-09-05

Okay checked in a fix for the ability to set recorded quality and live quality for everyone who wants it.

I believe it should default to highest for everything but please check your addon settings after you update to make sure they are set appropriately (you should get .8.3 if you dont refresh because i had a couple of bugs in .8.1 etc)

For those of you on timewarner cable or elsewhere here is the link to the updated default.py

http://www.mediafire.com/?i2xfoaswq5r3npu

- ksosez - 2011-09-05

Looks like python was compiled without OpenSSL? Something specific to AppleTV? Really not sure its a bizarre error

rtietjen Wrote:Here is the full log from the video addons menu to trying to launch a EuroBasketball game. When I originally set up my xbmc on the apple, I also manually installed firefox version 3.6.2. I have verified that I can get and maintain a SSL connection natively on the browser.

Thanks for the help.