Kodi Community Forum
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? (/showthread.php?tid=95334)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- SophT - 2011-10-10

hey eskro thanks for this thread, helpful because I just got my first SSD Big Grin

I have one more option for you that you might want to add: Disable Hybrid Sleep

Hybrid sleep was introduced in Vista and 'on' is the default option for desktop installs in Windows 7. This is from the msdn blogs:

Quote:Hybrid Sleep

Hybrid Sleep is designed for desktops, not laptops. In Hybrid Sleep mode, when you click Sleep, the computer does two things:

Saves all of your data to disk as if it was going into Hibernation
Goes into standby. It stays in standby permanently (unless you change the setting in the Power Options CPL to make it Hibernate fully at some point).

The idea is that this is better than normal sleep because if the desktop loses power while in sleep mode ("cat chews through the power cable" scenario), it will still be able to recover because all of the data was saved (this confused me at first until I remembered that desktops don’t have batteries, so there is no way for them to “wake up from standby and go into hibernate mode” if power is lost).

It’s also better than using Hibernate on the desktop because, unless you lost power in the interim, you’ll get the fastest-time-to-desktop behavior of standby.

On the downside, going into Hybrid Sleep mode is slower than normal Sleep mode (because it as to do all of the saving-to-disk as if it was going into Hibernate), which is why it is off-by-default on laptops. It’s also not useful on a laptop unless you’re in the habit of yanking out the battery from the laptop completely while it’s in sleep-mode.

So even though you may have disabled straight 'hibernate' hybrid sleep still writes all your memory to disk! Angry

- eskro - 2011-10-10

i'll verify, thx

- Quartermass - 2011-10-23

Many of these tweaks stem from the Ocz forum when 1st gen devices were around. There was very active discussion there and a list of optimisations was put out which went all over the place.

Most of it if not all of it is no longer required or recommended, especially on Windows 7

1) It depends on the drive. However the overwhelming majority now benefit from AHCI.
2) Trim is enabled by default, unless you disabled it then there's no need to enable it.
3) On Windows 7 the system will behave correctly and not try to defrag
4) Leave it enabled
5) Your choice. Saves disk space, loses the function of hibernation.
6) Leave it enabled
7) Leave it enabled - this wasn't on the original list of tweaks and I'm not sure why it's there. I'd suggest moving to MSE from Defender but certainly don't disable it just because you have an SSD
8) Leave it enabled
9) Leave it enabled

- eskro - 2011-10-23

Quartermass: i dont agree, i still recommend my post#1 tweaks Smile

- Quartermass - 2011-10-24

You are wrong to do so. I moderated the OCZ forums and participated in the creation of that list of tweaks, and while it was dissected and decided to be going too far for the newer generations.

Anything released at the time of Barefoot or later does not need those tweaks.

- eskro - 2011-10-24

again, i dont agree....

example, when you have a 30GB SSD, and you use windows,
disabling stuff like System Restore and PageFile free's up disk space!

and disabling stuff like Hibernation and other services i suggest = Less unnecessary writes = Longer SSD life

if its wrong for you, fine, but its right for me.

- Quartermass - 2011-10-24

Those tweaks were originally because of the technology, and you're now doing them for capacity. Doing them for capacity is fine, but anyone running an HTPC on a 60GB drive does not need to do them.

As for writes and SSD life, it's not an issue for a desktop under heavy use. For an HTPC it's even less of an issue. The Sandforce drive I use (Vertex 2 120GB) in my main PC for example will start to display problems due to writes in around 15 years from now. I've done none of the tweaks on it, other than enabling AHCI.

- eskro - 2011-10-24

Quartermass Wrote:Those tweaks were originally because of the technology, and you're now doing them for capacity. Doing them for capacity is fine, but anyone running an HTPC on a 60GB drive does not need to do them.

i'd still disk space on a 60GB drive.
in fact, i'd do this on any SSD drive period.

Quartermass Wrote:As for writes and SSD life, it's not an issue for a desktop under heavy use. For an HTPC it's even less of an issue. The Sandforce drive I use (Vertex 2 120GB) in my main PC for example will start to display problems due to writes in around 15 years from now. I've done none of the tweaks on it, other than enabling AHCI.

its up to you, i dont take chances.
i feel safer this way and thats what counts.

- Beer40oz - 2011-10-25

I have done the steps from the first post... and it's the same steps from what I found online.

- Quartermass - 2011-10-25

They're the same steps that you saw elsewhere online because it's the list of steps that we were advising people to take. Since gen2 SSDs arrived a few years ago that advice is at best not required.

- eskro - 2011-10-25

not required but still recommended

This is only a test. - Driver 944 - 2011-10-25

I have to go along with Escro on this. I used his suggestions and pushed it a few steps farther. My results below prove (according to BootRacer) there ARE things you can do to make improvements.
This is experimental at best. If you do not have the ability to perform the steps or do not want to risk screwing something up stop now!
If you do not make a back up of your system before trying this, don't blame me. You have been warned!

Test subject - Revo 3610, 3GB Ram, Torqx2 32GB SSD
Fresh install of Win7-32 w/updates and the programs I wanted.
Install then run BootRacer 3.1 _ Results show boot time 42-44 sec. after 6 reboots.
Install and run SSD Tweaker for Windows - Reboot system. Consider this the "Escro Method" with one click?
Install and run TuneUp Utilities 2010 - Reboot system.

Log off and don't touch system for 24 hrs. Seems to give Trim command/controller time to work, Tune Up Utilities performed automatic maintenance.

End result - disk space used 14GB. Boot time 28-30 sec. after 6 reboots. I managed to reduce boot time by 14 sec. according to BootRacer and the system is very responsive.

I'm not sure how/what happened. Something made a dramatic difference ...... and the test continues. Stable for one week and counting.

* Additional - Be aware, if you decide to try this and change your mind, DO NOT format or try to write over the drive.
You must do a Secure Erase before you restore the drive image. Search Google for "Secure Erase SSD" if you don't understand.

- eskro - 2011-10-25

Driver 944 Wrote:End result - disk space used 14GB. Boot time 28-30 sec

30 sec is my current boot time and my ssd is a CORSAIR NOVA 32GB SATAII..

i only followed my tweaks and thats it!

Smile

- misterpink - 2011-10-26

eskro Wrote:i feel safer this way and thats what counts.

Here we go again .... instead of taking the advice of Quartermass - someone who is clearly more of an SSD expert than anyone else posting in this thread - and updating the recommendations in the thread - or at least including his very worthwhile counterpoints - you instead choose to continue doling out advice to others solely on the basis of what "makes you feel safer"? - allthewhile continuing to represent yourself as some sort of expert?
eskro Wrote:I don't agree.
... Really? That's it? You are the thread author, handing out advice that is sure to be followed by thousands of xbmc users - and instead of taking constructive criticism from a respected SSD authority you choose to do the internet equivalent of folding your arms and hrmphing and doubling-down?

Clearly you did not learn a thing from the events of the first half of this thread.

With this being the official xbmc forum - handing out personal feelings and preferences as facts and expert advice is dangerous to start with and downright irresponsible if it continues in the face of conflicting evidence.

Its not a coincidence I stopped posting in this forum around the time you decided to take up residence here.

That is all.

- Ned Scott - 2011-10-26

misterpink, nothing is stopping you from making your own thread if you disagree with this one.

eskro, grow thicker skin.

Quartermass, being a forum moderator means jack shat. I'm a form moderator on XBMC.org, and I'm certainly no expert at various things discussed here.

That being said, I'll throw in my own two cents. There's nothing wrong about eskro's recommendations. Nothing about them will ever hurt a system and all of them are fairly sound notes. A lot of people still use XP on the HTPCs, and just because Windows 7 "should" take care of things by itself doesn't mean it's a bad idea to double check or over-ride default settings.

also.. you guys are arguing about how windows indexing should be enabled? Why? When will an HTPC ever use the Windows file index over its own databases and applications?

So yeah, eskro: grow thicker skin. People are going to disagree with you. Deal with it and have more confidence in yourself.

misterpink and Quartermass (and eskro here too): Give me a break, don't go instigating stuff over tiny ass settings that don't matter one way or another. Pick and choose your battles. This is like people having a two page debate over the misuse of a hyphen. Here's an idea, if anyone disagrees with one set of recommendations then make your own.

If you guys can't get along then I will be forced to change all your forum avatars to pictures of ponies.