Kodi Community Forum
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? (/showthread.php?tid=95334)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- P.Kosunen - 2012-02-08

Install happens only once, no need to worry about writes.

- baldmosher - 2012-02-08

apaƱero Wrote:For optimization of the SSD, is it good to install XBMC in the SSD? Would not be better to install it in the storage drive (not SSD) in order to reduce writes?? Or the XBMC writes are not relevant??
Let's put this idea to bed... you're looking at a lifespan of about a million writes PER SECTOR on modern SSDs. In general use, particularly on a HTPC, lifespan is not even a concern. It'll still outlast most HDDs even in extremely heavy write use. Trim also sorts out the drive to maximise lifespan so you don't end up with half the disk written once and half of it raped to shit by the Windows swapfile. That said, I wouldn't put a swapfile on its own partition.... but you're still looking at 3+ years even then

(Always back up your data.)

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Beer40oz - 2012-04-09

Awesome... thank you for this.... will help out a lot. HUGS

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - eskro - 2012-04-09

** 1st post Updated **

FTW!!

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Beer40oz - 2012-04-13

Thanx for remote ting in my htpc and helped me out with the ssd part.... too tired to be reading on all..... lol Smile thanx,,,

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - eskro - 2012-04-13

no problem m8, FTW!!

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Jetster - 2012-04-13

Good job Eskro as usual

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - eskro - 2012-04-13

(2012-04-13, 09:51)Jetster Wrote: Good job Eskro as usual

thanks alot!

** 1st post updated **

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - problaze - 2012-04-20

An application I found recently - fancydisk or supercache

look for deferred write mode...this should help improve write speed to ssds if you have an M4 for instance! Do make sure you have a UPS tho!!

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - goofygames - 2012-06-24

I used Parted Magic to secure esase my ssd and all seems to have gone fine. But when i reinstall Windows it shows i have 20 GB used out of 32GB. Is this normal till i get everything else done. Do i need to take any updates to fis this?It is a Patriot Torqx 2. Is there any other way to completely wipe it? When i reinstall windows it says there is 29GB free of 29GB.
UPDATE
Just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and trhe windows folder under C/ drive says it is 10.9 GB. Any reason for this?

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - wally101 - 2012-06-26

Quote:08. Disable Thumbnail Cache File Creation + Delete All Thumbs.db Files

The link goes to a site but there's nothing about Disable Thumbnail Cache File Creation on it

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - poetter747 - 2012-06-26

Great Tutorial, thx

Link to disable thumbnail cache file is dead. Here is a new one: Disable thumbnail cache file

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Dougie Fresh - 2012-06-26

The thumbnail cache thing is also important if you store your media on WHSv1 (and perhaps other NAS) because Windows will write the thumbs.db out there and then leave it open, creating file conflicts. I used to get messages from WHS about it all the time until I turned it off -- might not be an issue with WHS2011 or other NAS but just a heads-up when storing media out on a network drive.

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Gingerbread Man - 2013-07-20

I have a media centre PC which original had 2x 2TB drives in a raid one for backup purposes, these discs contained my media and the Windows installation.

Recently I put the Windows installation on an SSD (boot disc) and left the media on the Raid one setup.

I went to change to AHCI, but noticed that mine was set to Raid (the two disc's were set up through the BIOS). Does this mean that I can only have one or the other?

RE: How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive?? - Skram0 - 2013-10-29

(2011-02-26, 00:02)eskro Wrote: 07. Disable System Restore + Delete All System Restore Points
Just seems like a bad idea. One wrong configuration, or one wrong windows update, and you're hosed without a repair/undo option. Get ready for a reinstall.
A system restore point has saved me many times in the past.