Kodi Community Forum
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes) (/showthread.php?tid=97246)

- jj702 - 2011-07-12

Platoon Wrote:i just updated to this build from official one. I noticed that when using fanart view + confluence skin, thumbnails arent cached, they are constantly rebuilding. Strange, in official version, everything works ok.

same problem on refocus skin, thumbnails are rebuilding each time, I went back to the official build and it's smooth as silk again.

- Sarlic - 2011-07-12

davilla Wrote:google 'mediainfo', nice app. it's listed in most faqs in the stickies.

Thanks Davilla, yes I had that program already, as I was running it on my MKVs I didn't see "h.264" specifically display (unless I was just missing it) but I'm positive that I've ripped each that I have as h.264.

Glad to see (well, not *glad* but you know what I mean) that I'm now not the only one with this issue.

Please let me know if there's any additional logs, etc, I can provide, or if you want me to make any of my MKVs available for testing.

Thanks again!

- ajerazzor - 2011-07-12

I am still getting unable to connect to remote server when updating library - noone else saying this is an issue - is it my setup? 11-7 build

might be a dumb question but can you upgrade via putty while xbmc is still running?

- Platoon - 2011-07-12

jj702 Wrote:same problem on refocus skin, thumbnails are rebuilding each time, I went back to the official build and it's smooth as silk again.

I made a log. Devs please check it.

http://pastebin.com/qiaH04sy

- MrMxyzptlk - 2011-07-12

Big step forward for this nightly build, but several problems:

1: it does not sees my PC automatically under Windows Network, only when I enter it manually ...
2: Fanart loading slow again (because I'm not using the default skin?)

- Platoon - 2011-07-12

fanart is slow in default skin too. I am using default skin btw.

- R0MSTER - 2011-07-12

Keith,
Still stuttering in this build, going back to 10.0-7

Regards,

- Ger Teunis - 2011-07-12

R0MSTER Wrote:Keith,
Still stuttering in this build, going back to 10.0-7

I don't think those are useful comments. First of all Keith can't do anything abou it. Secondly if you really want to help you might want suit a bug in xbmc's buck tracker, provide lots and lots of data in there. Try to find the two builds which was working to which wasn't and add that comment in there as well so if and I mean if the deva look at it can determine what patches where applied in that timeframe. Just my 2 cents.

- R0MSTER - 2011-07-12

Ger Teunis Wrote:I don't think those are useful comments. First of all Keith can't do anything abou it. Secondly if you really want to help you might want suit a bug in xbmc's buck tracker, provide lots and lots of data in there. Try to find the two builds which was working to which wasn't and add that comment in there as well so if and I mean if the deva look at it can determine what patches where applied in that timeframe. Just my 2 cents.

Yes i am aware of all that, i did provide logs before, and someone else did so i assume someone saw that, if not i will gladly post the log again, as for bugtrack, i was under the impression it's only for official builds, otherwise all the bugs reported in this thread will be ignored unless it's in bugtrack Smile

Regards,

- davilla - 2011-07-13

R0MSTER Wrote:Yes i am aware of all that, i did provide logs before, and someone else did so i assume someone saw that, if not i will gladly post the log again, as for bugtrack, i was under the impression it's only for official builds, otherwise all the bugs reported in this thread will be ignored unless it's in bugtrack Smile

Regards,

trac has a very nice selector that lets you indicate which xbmc the trac ticket applies to.

- Konrad77 - 2011-07-13

emkay Wrote:Hey Konrad,
I actually tried building with LLVM 2.0 and build process fails. It even fails when using LLVM GCC 4.2 instead of standard GCC 4.2.

So I guess we have to wait for that a little longer. By the way: I had lots of trouble with LLVM when submitting my iPhone Apps to iTunes Connect. Sometimes the build was released without error, BUT I got many negative feedback with incompatible devices and / or firmware versions. And other times the build with LLVM was rejected because of crashes I couldn't reproduce, while the same code built with LLVM GCC didn't make any problems.

So, long story short: I am keeping LLVM GCC as my default compiler. LLVM 2.0 and 3.0 are still very buggy.

EmKay

Iam using LLVM for my iOS projects and in xCode 4.0.x (latest official release) I find it (LLVM, 2.9.x) stable. I had no problems at all submitting and update my software using iTunes connect.

Whats the future plan for XBMC, is that to update for LLVM? Apple is moving away from GCC. Have you tried compile with the unofficial LLVM build (3.x branch)? Would be nice to see if XBMC actually gain speed from switching from GCC to LLVM.

- davilla - 2011-07-13

Konrad77 Wrote:Iam using LLVM for my iOS projects and in xCode 4.0.x (latest official release) I find it (LLVM, 2.9.x) stable. I had no problems at all submitting and update my software using iTunes connect.

Whats the future plan for XBMC, is that to update for LLVM? Apple is moving away from GCC. Have you tried compile with the unofficial LLVM build (3.x branch)? Would be nice to see if XBMC actually gain speed from switching from GCC to LLVM.

The plan is to stick with the current build process until we are forced to change it. As a long time developer, someone who has been developing before most others were born, I don't believe in jumping to the latest and greatest just because it is available. Such jumps generally cause several disruptions in the development process. Been there, done that and hated it. I remember the 1st release of Xcode when Metroworks CoreWarrier was still around. Utter piece of crap it was.

The current build process works and it rock stable without any compiler issues. I see no reason to change at the current time. That said, I am looking into updating tools/darwin/depended, the Xcode projects and XBMC source code itself to support building under Xcode4. It is a long term project as there is no impending need to do it at the current time. There have already been commits to support this. Code development is like playing Chess, you plan your moves long in advance.

- emkay - 2011-07-13

Hey davilla,

Building under Xcode 4 already works. I'm doing it all the time using the standard GCC 4.2

EmKay

- davilla - 2011-07-13

emkay Wrote:Hey davilla,

Building under Xcode 4 already works. I'm doing it all the time using the standard GCC 4.2

EmKay

Not without a few missing patches. We do welcome patches.

- Konrad77 - 2011-07-13

davilla Wrote:The plan is to stick with the current build process until we are forced to change it. As a long time developer, someone who has been developing before most others were born, I don't believe in jumping to the latest and greatest just because it is available. Such jumps generally cause several disruptions in the development process. Been there, done that and hated it. I remember the 1st release of Xcode when Metroworks CoreWarrier was still around. Utter piece of crap it was.

The current build process works and it rock stable without any compiler issues. I see no reason to change at the current time. That said, I am looking into updating tools/darwin/depended, the Xcode projects and XBMC source code itself to support building under Xcode4. It is a long term project as there is no impending need to do it at the current time. There have already been commits to support this. Code development is like playing Chess, you plan your moves long in advance.

I haven't build xbmc by my self and I'am not aware how the build process work. I hope I havent offended anyone just by talking about LLVM. And of course, I agree with you why you shouldn't change a perfectly working build system.

Metroworks made the BeIDE (BeOS IDE) 15 years ago, liked it back then, I've only been using Macs for a few years so I am only familiar with xCode.