Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] MLB.TV Boxee App port (developers needed!) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: [WIP] MLB.TV Boxee App port (developers needed!) (/showthread.php?tid=97251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- sdsnyr94 - 2011-06-02

Thanks divingmule - I was having the same issue last night. The default.py file fixed my issue in Linux (Openelec).

- krumble - 2011-06-02

With the new default.py you provided, I was able to watch an archived game from last night. I will check out a live game this evening, but I imagine that it's working properly based on what others have said.

- sdsnyr94 - 2011-06-02

I am off today, so I will check the Live NY Mets game at 1:10 pm.

Playback of yesterday's games are fine at the moment.

Quote:Hey I played around and made this http://ubuntuone.com/p/x1Y/ maybe it's not too scaled up for your liking.

This image works great.. doesn't really look too distorted as the background. Thanks.

I think that image that theophile posted, the one by dols, still too closely resembles the official MLB logo. I think we need something totally different, as to not ruffle the feathers of MLB and avoid giving them a reason to actively try to break the plugin (like what Hulu was doing a while back).

- theophile - 2011-06-02

sdsnyr94 Wrote:I think that image that theophile posted, the one by dols, still too closely resembles the official MLB logo. I think we need something totally different, as to not ruffle the feathers of MLB and avoid giving them a reason to actively try to break the plugin (like what Hulu was doing a while back).

I've been thinking about this and would like to contribute. divingmule, what graphic elements are needed? I know a fanart or two would be good. What about icons or thumbs?

I started searching the Creative-Commons images on Flickr to find some starting points. I found a few that might work as-is or with some tweaking:

Phillies by dameetch, on Flickr

Fenway Park by Werner Kunz, on Flickr

Summer by Kyle Kruchok, on Flickr

September is the time of baseball magic by kevindooley, on Flickr

Another idea I had was to try to take an in-game photo featuring an advertisement (sign, on the wall, behind the batter, the Fenway Citgo sign, etc.) and replace the ad with the XBMC logo.

I have some other ideas kicking around too.

- divingmule - 2011-06-02

sdsnyr94 Wrote:I think that image that theophile posted, the one by dols, still too closely resembles the official MLB logo. I think we need something totally different, as to not ruffle the feathers of MLB and avoid giving them a reason to actively try to break the plugin (like what Hulu was doing a while back).

I'm not really worried about that stuff, maybe I should be~

You guys play around, see what ya can come up with.

If you look at the top of the default.py you'll see -
Code:
fanart = xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( home, 'fanart.jpg' ) )
fanart1 = xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( home, 'resources/mlbtv-fanart.jpg' ) )
The main fanart is in the root of the add-on dir. fanart1 is in the resources dir. You can place a jpg or png in these directory's name them something other than fanart then change the code to what you've named the pic. eg.
Code:
fanart = xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( home, 'something.jpg' ) )
You can do the same where you see that line of code in the addDir().

I'm digging the kind of themed look, this is the transparency skin CoolImage

We may be able to come up with a way to have different themes??

Really like that Fenway Park and Summer picsNod

- theophile - 2011-06-03

It's not exactly like I had in mind, but it's probably as close as I'll be able to get it:

Thoughts?

- mrdally204 - 2011-06-03

Thumbs up. I enjoy it. Maybe a home plate or pitchers mound/rubber in the bottom?

- sdsnyr94 - 2011-06-03

I like it. What about putting a baseball as the dot in MLB .(dot) mc?

- theophile - 2011-06-03

Considered it, but wasn't sure if divingmule wanted a dot in there. Easy enough to add. Here's a quick hack with a pitching rubber.

- krumble - 2011-06-03

I think this looks fantastic. I also liked the picture from earlier with the baseballs next to the pitching rubber. This one stands out and displays the logo, though.

theophile Wrote:Image

--

I haven't had time to test the plugin again, as I said I would. I hope to have time to catch part of a game tonight, though.

- sdsnyr94 - 2011-06-03

I forgot to mention that I watched yesterday's NY Mets game without issue... and I flipped through the other games yesterday evening and had no issues.

Theophile - The image with the pitching rubber looks great... and I think the Fenway Picture should be the background for the Live Games.

DivingMule - Any way of getting it into the add-on setup where we can pick our own backdrops, like the way you can with the skins?

- divingmule - 2011-06-03

theophile Wrote:Considered it, but wasn't sure if divingmule wanted a dot in there. Easy enough to add. Here's a quick hack with a pitching rubber.

That's pretty neat. I played around with the mc from the xbmc logo, something about it never quite looked right.

I'm still not sold on the idea that we need to change anything. Why would MLB want to mess with us? If anything this is going to sell a few subscriptions for them.

Quote:DivingMule - Any way of getting it into the add-on setup where we can pick our own backdrops, like the way you can with the skins?

That should be doable. The thing about fanart, if you get too much going on it's hard to read the onscreen text.

- sdsnyr94 - 2011-06-03

Quote:I'm still not sold on the idea that we need to change anything. Why would MLB want to mess with us? If anything this is going to sell a few subscriptions for them.

Don't ever underestimate the stupidity of someone with a trademark or copyright. And don't ever expect them to think rationally! Use of their logo would break any terms of agreement, and could ruffle their feathers enough to try and take down the ability to pull the streams.

I love the work you have done, and don't want to see problems arising from it. I may be being needlessly worrying, but I'd rather replace fanart/images then lose the add-on for legal purposes.

- theophile - 2011-06-03

Boxee has an official content partnership agreement with MLBAM. I wonder what it would take to do the same thing for this addon.

- divingmule - 2011-06-04

theophile Wrote:Boxee has an official content partnership agreement with MLBAM. I wonder what it would take to do the same thing for this addon.

It may be best to 'let sleeping dogs lie'.

I agree we need a new icon, mainly because I altered their logo. I would like to stay in 'theme' with the rest of the icons and fanart. Could we try to come up with something using this background.
http://ubuntuone.com/p/xNJ/