Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Starstream - 2011-04-10

Sam thanks for this image, would it be possible to include airplay support ?

A person here has outlined instructions on getting it working under XBMC Live, hopefully it wouldn't take much more to get it working on your setup. I tried it myself but I couldn't make any progress with it. Airplay even only for video and photos working out of the box so to speak would be great.

- da-bitsch - 2011-04-10

Starstream Wrote:Sam thanks for this image, would it be possible to include airplay support ?

A person here has outlined instructions on getting it working under XBMC Live, hopefully it wouldn't take much more to get it working on your setup. I tried it myself but I couldn't make any progress with it. Airplay even only for video and photos working out of the box so to speak would be great.

i double on this.. hopefully this could be integrated or at least someone would be kind and show the commands needed in order to get it working Smile i see that it requires python 2.6 and as i see sams image is only 2.5.2?

- thnmnt - 2011-04-10

I have 2 atvs that are running the pin87a (updated to latest xbmc/chd) image off the internal hard drive. would there be any advantages to going with this image instead? Has anyone migrated from pin87 to this that can attest to increases in performance?

also, I have 1 bcmxx12 card and 1 bcmxx15 card. i'm running 174 on the 15 and something else (i forgot) on the 12 - something to do with DMA buffers, honestly it was a while back. Is this addressed or is it a non-issue at this point?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-10

Starstream Wrote:Sam thanks for this image, would it be possible to include airplay support ?

Already answered this a couple of times. Unlikely to happen on Hardy

thnmnt Wrote:I have 2 atvs that are running the pin87a (updated to latest xbmc/chd) image off the internal hard drive. would there be any advantages to going with this image instead? Has anyone migrated from pin87 to this that can attest to increases in performance?

also, I have 1 bcmxx12 card and 1 bcmxx15 card. i'm running 174 on the 15 and something else (i forgot) on the 12 - something to do with DMA buffers, honestly it was a while back. Is this addressed or is it a non-issue at this point?

This image is far more refined, includes auto updates. The DMA buffers is now 8 again, which is optimum for aTV

404 installer/.sh not found - tfittsy - 2011-04-10

Are you doing work on the installer script? I'm trying to run the install image and it errors our right at the beginning of the script when it tries to download the .sh install script from your site. Network is working as I was able to get the .crystalshd.sh but that one gives me a bunch of other errors.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-10

No I'm not doing any active work. I finalised some changes earlier. There is no file called installer.sh. It's supposed to be installer/.distrochoice.sh. Did you restore the image using the UI tool or did you just restore it yourself -- because using dd or restoring it yourself does not inject the Ubuntu distro choice, which is why your error exists

Running Default Script - tfittsy - 2011-04-11

This is the error before asking for a login:

http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for-atv/scripts/install/.sh
=> `.sh'
resolving svn.stmlabs.com... 87.106.100.246
connectin to svn.stmlabs.com|87.106.100.246|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaint response... 404 Not Found
ERROR 404: Not Found.

chmod: cannot access `.sh': No such file or directory
/home/stv/scripts/initialise.sh: line8: ./.sh: No such file or directory

As I said, I tried downloading .crystalhd.sh but when I run that one I get:

crystalhd.sh: line 1: zenity: command not found
crystalhd.sh: line 2: zenity: command not found
crystalhd.sh: line 3: zenity: command not found
crystalhd.sh: line 4: zenity: command not found

This is from booting the installer USB image.

- tfittsy - 2011-04-11

nevermind, I guessed it was ubuntu even though the /.distro it was trying to cat didn't exist. Seems to be working now.

- Ilia - 2011-04-11

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Already answered this a couple of times. Unlikely to happen on Hardy

This image is far more refined, includes auto updates. The DMA buffers is now 8 again, which is optimum for aTV

I have made it work Big Grin

You do need to update python to 2.6 -> http://www.lysium.de/blog/index.php?/archives/229-Installing-Python-2.6-on-Ubuntu-8.04.html
and the DNS updater from the install readme.

- thermobaric - 2011-04-11

Sam,

A slight modification to the linux installer would be nice. I decided to play with Ubuntu and VMware. Wouldn't you know, no parted installed. So, after waiting for the download, the script bonks due to no parted. I apt-get it, and then the script begins again. It gets really mad at me this time because /dev/sdb wasn't available due to operator error. Begin again...

If there's a way to have it check and see if there's a current image downloaded, that might save some of us donkeys at least 15 minutes... (Yes, smarter souls would just read the script and start wherever it cut out, but it would have been much cooler if dd had done its thing while I was getting the boys sorted for school).

Just a thought.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-11

Ilia Wrote:I have made it work Big Grin

You do need to update python to 2.6 -> http://www.lysium.de/blog/index.php?/archives/229-Installing-Python-2.6-on-Ubuntu-8.04.html
and the DNS updater from the install readme.

Nice. Airplay sounds good.

thermobaric Wrote:Sam,

A slight modification to the linux installer would be nice. I decided to play with Ubuntu and VMware. Wouldn't you know, no parted installed. So, after waiting for the download, the script bonks due to no parted. I apt-get it, and then the script begins again. It gets really mad at me this time because /dev/sdb wasn't available due to operator error. Begin again...

If there's a way to have it check and see if there's a current image downloaded, that might save some of us donkeys at least 15 minutes... (Yes, smarter souls would just read the script and start wherever it cut out, but it would have been much cooler if dd had done its thing while I was getting the boys sorted for school).

Just a thought.

I've said several times why I redownload the image every time. I won't repeat the lengthy explanation here.

You're right! No direct references to parted but there is to partprobe which synchronises the filesystems. I will therefore add an apt-get install parted to the top of the script (it doesn't have to be patched).

USB sound possible? - juanlu - 2011-04-11

Hi Sam,

First: thanks for your effort and your work, is the first time I try a Linux for my ATV and after installing it (not without pain, because my Powerbook "ubuntized" did not inject the distro for the usb installation), but after a bit of tweaking it´s installed and working almost fine.
I say almost because I have two questions:
a) HD content doesn't play well. I tested some movies I watched in an ATV of my brother (pin's image there) perfectly well. These movies hang my new installation or stop the play or I see pixelation or dropouts with lack of sync audio-video. My question is: I have the old Broadcom chip...have I to downgrade the drivers?

b) you stated in the manual "This Ubuntu distribution will support TOSLINK and HDMI output. For HDMI output, it is necessary to go to Settings > System > Audio Output and select the use of a Custom Device (obviously enabling Digital Sound Output), the custom device must be entered exactly as: plughw:0,3".... is it possible to get USB sound?

Thanks a lot. Excited about to get the most of ATV

JL

juanlu Wrote:Hi Sam,

First: thanks for your effort and your work, is the first time I try a Linux for my ATV and after installing it (not without pain, because my Powerbook "ubuntized" did not inject the distro for the usb installation), but after a bit of tweaking it´s installed and working almost fine.
I say almost because I have two questions:
a) HD content doesn't play well. I tested some movies I watched in an ATV of my brother (pin's image there) perfectly well. These movies hang my new installation or stop the play or I see pixelation or dropouts with lack of sync audio-video. My question is: I have the old Broadcom chip...have I to downgrade the drivers?

b) you stated in the manual "This Ubuntu distribution will support TOSLINK and HDMI output. For HDMI output, it is necessary to go to Settings > System > Audio Output and select the use of a Custom Device (obviously enabling Digital Sound Output), the custom device must be entered exactly as: plughw:0,3".... is it possible to get USB sound?

Thanks a lot. Excited about to get the most of ATV

JL

a) Doesn't play well is in no way specific. What are bitrates, profile levels etc (mediainfo output), XBMC.log output. Drivers don't need to be upgraded, the stable ones are automatically fetched and compiled for you.
b) Never tried USB sound. You could get a USB sound card and try set it up in Ubuntu but its not going to be a clear cut simple install.

- thermobaric - 2011-04-11

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I've said several times why I redownload the image every time. I won't repeat the lengthy explanation here.

I understand. I just thought perhaps with your recent incorporation of MD5s it might be easy to have the script bounce a local MD5 off of one on the server prior to download. Then again, I thought spotted dick was a type of STD for the longest time... Laugh

I could hypothetically MD5 the chosen image or SHA1 it but this would require adjustments. I'm not sure how I'd implement this into Linux -- unless I used a PHP script and wgetted the contents which returned the hash from MySQL (running checksum each time would be too intensive).

Maybe for later but I don't see it being the focus area of development as many users don't repeatedly run the script. I need to port the apt repository before April 30th as Hardy goes end of life then. Also need to start a build service as XBMC dev team no longer compiles for Hardy