Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Reptielll - 2011-04-01

Fantastic, i update my apple tv yesterday, adjusted xorg.conf to composite and 4:3, which means that for now i do not need to buy a new TV.. My old CRT still functions well!

Now the next challenges: use a wireless keyboard with a trackpad with the apple tv. I guess if i find one, it is just a matter of installing the correct drivers..

DOes anybody have any experience with this?

- moonwalker - 2011-04-01

Worfje Wrote:When booting my 'LinuxTV' without being connected to the network, it failes to boot.
(by LinuxTV, I mean AppleTV with Ubuntu + XBMX installed using Sam's installer)

I found out that during each boot sequence, it will check for updates of XBMC, CrystalHD drivers & the 'update check' script itself. This scripts is executed since it is defined in the file /etc/rc.local.

Next to not being conneted to the internet: if for any reason the server svn.stmlabs.com would be unreachable, everyone would be unable to boot its ATV. Sad

To circumvent this and disable the automatic synchronization you can perform below changes in the file /etc/rc.local:

original:
Code:
cd /home/atv/scripts
./getfile.sh

disable check/update:
Code:
#cd /home/atv/scripts
#./getfile.sh

Now it boots even faster! Wink

P.S.: when editing in Windows, be sure to preserve the Linux line endings! (naturally, as Linux noob, I forgot about this at first, doh!)

Allright! This is usable information! Thank you!Big Grin

- h2sammo - 2011-04-01

Worfje Wrote:When exiting XBMC (using exit, shutdown, suspend or reboot) the ATV will not power down. As a result, the hard drive will keep spinning! :eek2:

To fix this, change the following lines of file /etc/rc.local:

original:

enable a proper powerdown:

-P corresponds with 'power off after shutdown (implies -h)'
  • normal operation: 27 Watt
  • after exit XBMC (original): 21 Watt
  • after exit XBMC (proper power down): 21 Watt

Huh? :confused2: Again 21 Watt when powering down the hard drive?

The proper power down will power down the hard drive, but this does not save you any power. I double checked that the hard drive stopped spinning after 'shutdown -P now'. It will extend the life of you hard drive and probably also will lead to less corrupted hard drive when powering down the ATV by switching off the AC power. Wink

how about reboot. using the XBMC reboot option does not reboot the machine. how do you fix that? Smile saves my wife going to the other room... climb on a chair and unplug the power cord.

- Bagheera - 2011-04-01

well ... i dont get it :/

I installed a new HDD; installed sams release on it. First boot: Perfect. Internet access works like a charm.
Then I changed the /etc/rc.local as mentioned above.

Reboot: No internet access anymore O_o

The used connection information must be correct, or why should it have a connection at the first boot?! :|

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-01

Please read the manual!!! It will solve all 'issues'

Worfje Wrote:When booting my 'LinuxTV' without being connected to the network, it failes to boot.
(by LinuxTV, I mean AppleTV with Ubuntu + XBMX installed using Sam's installer)

I found out that during each boot sequence, it will check for updates of XBMC, CrystalHD drivers & the 'update check' script itself. This scripts is executed since it is defined in the file /etc/rc.local.

Next to not being conneted to the internet: if for any reason the server svn.stmlabs.com would be unreachable, everyone would be unable to boot its ATV. Sad

To circumvent this and disable the automatic synchronization you can perform below changes in the file /etc/rc.local:

original:
Code:
cd /home/atv/scripts
./getfile.sh

disable check/update:
Code:
#cd /home/atv/scripts
#./getfile.sh

Now it boots even faster! Wink

P.S.: when editing in Windows, be sure to preserve the Linux line endings! (naturally, as Linux noob, I forgot about this at first, doh!)

Do not do 'circumvent' this, you are breaking core OS functionality. To disable updates: you run ./disable_updates. This method is safe, it allows you to renable at a later date easily. As the program says, for a full list of commands run ./info which allows you to make changes to the OS config.

Worfje Wrote:When exiting XBMC (using exit, shutdown, suspend or reboot) the ATV will not power down. As a result, the hard drive will keep spinning! :eek2:

To fix this, change the following lines of file /etc/rc.local:

original:

enable a proper powerdown:

-P corresponds with 'power off after shutdown (implies -h)'
  • normal operation: 27 Watt
  • after exit XBMC (original): 21 Watt
  • after exit XBMC (proper power down): 21 Watt

Huh? :confused2: Again 21 Watt when powering down the hard drive?

The proper power down will power down the hard drive, but this does not save you any power. I double checked that the hard drive stopped spinning after 'shutdown -P now'. It will extend the life of you hard drive and probably also will lead to less corrupted hard drive when powering down the ATV by switching off the AC power. Wink

Useful. Sort of. But having to turn it back on at the plug is annoying -- not to mention not worth the 0.042p you would save per hour. It will not reduce corruption.

bass63 Wrote:Sam, i haven't gotten to test your new image yet, but i want to ask - is there a way to restore AppleTV to factory settings after installing image to Internal HDD (in case i need to revert to Apple OS)?

Back up the disc with DD. If people want I can make a program that does this.

Paulkai Wrote:I have two question 1st one is if I attach a USB drive cam SAMs atv image see this and play files from it. (openelec has this feature) 2nd sound. I have used putty to access the sound set up and I see four bars all coloured I presume I go to the last one iec958 1 and double click I take that un mutes it. How do I then save this, if I hit escape and the enter the command to save this it tells me I don't have permission. Do not know Linux very well.

Paul

You can mount USB drives yes, do so with sudo mount entrypoint foldername
You don't need to unmute the mixer - you need to change audio settings as stated in the manual.

Reptielll Wrote:Fantastic, i update my apple tv yesterday, adjusted xorg.conf to composite and 4:3, which means that for now i do not need to buy a new TV.. My old CRT still functions well!

Now the next challenges: use a wireless keyboard with a trackpad with the apple tv. I guess if i find one, it is just a matter of installing the correct drivers..

DOes anybody have any experience with this?

Wireless keyboard works OOB here.

h2sammo Wrote:how about reboot. using the XBMC reboot option does not reboot the machine. how do you fix that? Smile saves my wife going to the other room... climb on a chair and unplug the power cord.

See the manual - XBMC will reinitialise if you respawn it.

Bagheera Wrote:well ... i dont get it :/

I installed a new HDD; installed sams release on it. First boot: Perfect. Internet access works like a charm.
Then I changed the /etc/rc.local as mentioned above.

Reboot: No internet access anymore O_o

The used connection information must be correct, or why should it have a connection at the first boot?! :|

Lesson: Do /NOT\ make changes like this. The operating system lets you disable updates with ./disable_updates. If you read carefully you would know this -- modifying rc.local can cause undesired results. Hopefully you backed up / commented out rc.local so you can just restore it -- else you'll need to reimage.

- fodos - 2011-04-01

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Useful. Sort of. But having to turn it back on at the plug is annoying -- not to mention not worth the 0.042p you would save per hour. It will not reduce corruption.

I use THIS to switch ATV off and on....and I control my TV, Receiver, DVR and ATV with it. Good stuff.

crash on refresh rate change - fodos - 2011-04-01

Do you experinece crashes at display rafresh rate changes? I do... Sad
Sometimes it change accurately, but most of time it crashes with black screen, and no response (the ATV's front side LED responses the remote).

I have to give up the smooth 24p playback. Sad

- Bagheera - 2011-04-01

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:[b]Hopefully you backed up / commented out rc.local so you can just restore it -- else you'll need to reimage.

ofc I made a backup ... but with my connection probleme and no solution in sight there is not much to do but try and error.

Are there different network settings used (first install boot & normal boot)?

And I would like to read your manual, but i dont find one. Neither in the installer nor on your blog ?!

- Paulkai - 2011-04-01

I have made the custom settings for audio and it's not working for me you also say you can mount the USB drive with Sudo mount entry point I have no idea what that means, I don't know much about Linux if someone can point me in the direction of a post

Thanks

Paul

- jtonthebike - 2011-04-01

Hi Sam,

Thank you so much for taking your time out of your normal schedule to go ahead and create this, it really is very much appreciated! My apple tv now seems to respond faster, transitions from one to the next is Much smoother, rendering is faster (helps with the bcm12) all in all you've enabled my technology wishes to be accepted by my good lady, and that is worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers and thanks again.

Now, to look at a shutdown as I'd rather not have kit running 24/7 both for financial and energy consumption reasons.

- Worfje - 2011-04-01

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Do not do 'circumvent' this, you are breaking core OS functionality.
It is breaking the functionality you added to ubuntu.

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:To disable updates: you run ./disable_updates. This method is safe, it allows you to renable at a later date easily. As the program says, for a full list of commands run ./info which allows you to make changes to the OS config.
Great tip, I will use that instead. I always skip reading the manual. :rolleyes2:

It might be a idea to let the user know that the auto update failed and letting the boot process continu. Instead of now having a failed boot. But, hey... a minor issue.

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Useful. Sort of. But having to turn it back on at the plug is annoying -- not to mention not worth the 0.042p you would save per hour. It will not reduce corruption.
This does not require turning it on at the plug. I simply press the menu button and minus button simultaneously for about 2 seconds and the ATV resets and reboots into XBMC.

How can do you restart XBMC after having exited XBMC?

Performing the power down off the hard drive, will extend the life of the hard disk.

fodos Wrote:Do you experinece crashes at display rafresh rate changes? I do... Sad
Sometimes it change accurately, but most of time it crashes with black screen, and no response (the ATV's front side LED responses the remote).

I have to give up the smooth 24p playback. Sad

23.976Hz here. Maybe an EDID or issue with your tv

Bagheera Wrote:ofc I made a backup ... but with my connection probleme and no solution in sight there is not much to do but try and error.

Are there different network settings used (first install boot & normal boot)?

And I would like to read your manual, but i dont find one. Neither in the installer nor on your blog ?!

Sorry if it is not clear! As I said earlier the manual is on SVN. There is a Ubuntu FAQ here: http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd...ocs/ubuntu.htm. You'll have to save it to your PC before opening it as SVN does not have mime types for this document.

Paulkai Wrote:I have made the custom settings for audio and it's not working for me you also say you can mount the USB drive with Sudo mount entry point I have no idea what that means, I don't know much about Linux if someone can point me in the direction of a post

Thanks

Paul

Copy custom audio exactly from menu. You can mount USB drives at boot automatically by adding an entry point in your filesystem table (/etc/fstab). A quick Google search will make this clear.

jtonthebike Wrote:Hi Sam,

Thank you so much for taking your time out of your normal schedule to go ahead and create this, it really is very much appreciated! My apple tv now seems to respond faster, transitions from one to the next is Much smoother, rendering is faster (helps with the bcm12) all in all you've enabled my technology wishes to be accepted by my good lady, and that is worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers and thanks again.

Now, to look at a shutdown as I'd rather not have kit running 24/7 both for financial and energy consumption reasons.

aTV lacks ACPI - making shutdown not a clear cut process. Power-cycling is probably best you'll get

Worfje Wrote:It is breaking the functionality you added to ubuntu.

Great tip, I will use that instead. I always skip reading the manual. :rolleyes2:

It might be a idea to let the user know that the auto update failed and letting the boot process continu. Instead of now having a failed boot. But, hey... a minor issue.

This does not require turning it on at the plug. I simply press the menu button and minus button simultaneously for about 2 seconds and the ATV resets and reboots into XBMC.

How can do you restart XBMC after having exited XBMC?

Performing the power down off the hard drive, will extend the life of the hard disk.

Always. Always read the manual. It will solve 99% of your issues. Also remember ./info will give you a list of system options.

- fodos - 2011-04-01

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:23.976Hz here. Maybe an EDID or issue with your tv
I think this is not a TV issue. Now I tried the refresh rate change while playing music, and the sound disappeared, so I think the system crashes this time.

To get 23.976Hz I am using the 'adjust ... to match video' setting. That's all you need to do. If, however, you want to change the UI's refresh rate: go edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

- Paulkai - 2011-04-01

Got the audio working, I thought that I would hear the menu sound when I had made the custom settings, but it does not. I then played a movie and it played fine, I will have a look at the manual. Is there a link for that?

Paul