Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-01

Paulkai Wrote:Got the audio working, I thought that I would hear the menu sound when I had made the custom settings, but it does not. I then played a movie and it played fine, I will have a look at the manual. Is there a link for that?

Paul

I have put the link in two posts on this thread (see like two posts above). You need to create an .asoundrc file with the following contents: (I thought I did this already however.)

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:0,3"
}
}

A couple newbie questions - calev - 2011-04-01

Sam,
I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you start up a desktop environment like gnome? or xfce? /If not is it possible to install one?
2. If one has not installed the Crystal hd is it possible to use the wireless card?

-If this has been answer else where i apologize.
Thanks for all the work. And if anyone else knows these answers feel free to answer and help a linux noob.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-02

calev Wrote:Sam,
I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you start up a desktop environment like gnome? or xfce? /If not is it possible to install one?
2. If one has not installed the Crystal hd is it possible to use the wireless card?

-If this has been answer else where i apologize.
Thanks for all the work. And if anyone else knows these answers feel free to answer and help a linux noob.

1. Yep; best way is to install the Ubuntu-Desktop metapackage: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
2. Yes, it's possible, but you'll have to set up the drivers yourself, probably with ndiswrapper. Sounds like what you want is a Ubuntu desktop on aTV, not a CrystalHD xbmc solution. Checkout the # project, I have a minimal version of Ubuntu ready to be customised (you'll need to add boot.efi to the Recovery partition - done to avoid legal issues)

- h2sammo - 2011-04-02

is there a way to select what crystalhd driver or xbmc revision i use? from reading in the xbmc forums and from reading http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/updates/list it seems as if the latest crystalhd driver revision uses 16 DMA when it has been shown that 8 DMA works best for the low mem atv has.

also, i read in the forums davilla advises crystalhd revision 156 for xbmc 10.1 when using the first generation BCM video decoder (like I am).

- fodos - 2011-04-02

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:To get 23.976Hz I am using the 'adjust ... to match video' setting. That's all you need to do. If, however, you want to change the UI's refresh rate: go edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You are right Sam, but not that is the problem. I have 24 (23,976) FPS and 25 FPS videos. The best setting to playback smoothly all would be the "automatic refresh rate change to the video fps", I think that is what you said. But in that setting, when the system tries change the refresh rate, the system crashes often (not all time). The effect is the same when I try to change the refresh rate manualy.
Do you think it is a configuration problem?

- Paulkai - 2011-04-02

Figured out most thing what I would like to do now is transfer my movie files to atv is this easy to do??

- bass63 - 2011-04-02

fodos Wrote:Do you experinece crashes at display rafresh rate changes? I do... Sad
Sometimes it change accurately, but most of time it crashes with black screen, and no response (the ATV's front side LED responses the remote).

I have to give up the smooth 24p playback. Sad

It is a known bug of HDMI handshake with ancient nVidia drivers used in the image. You can update them, but you will loose HDMI audio (not working in other versions). I got this bug WITH EVERY TV I OWN (Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic)

I use this command to update drivers and can confirm they're working fine (though it's not latest version)

ps aux|grep -v grep|grep -i xbmc.bin|awk '{print $2}'|xargs kill -9
sudo wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/256.25/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25.run
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25.run

People also suggest changing modes in xorg.conf, but I couldn't figure it out.

But there's a quick and dirty temporary solution to a problem - just turn your TV off and on, or replug HDMI cable every time you got that black screen. Changing inputs works too on some TVs. System is not crashing, just freezing when changing refresh rates.

- bass63 - 2011-04-02

OK, just tried a new image.
First thing - exit and restart DO NOT WORK. System hangs or shutting down. Can I somehow fix it myself, Sam? Thanks!

- ajayrockrock - 2011-04-02

h2sammo Wrote:is there a way to select what crystalhd driver or xbmc revision i use? from reading in the xbmc forums and from reading http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/updates/list it seems as if the latest crystalhd driver revision uses 16 DMA when it has been shown that 8 DMA works best for the low mem atv has.

also, i read in the forums davilla advises crystalhd revision 156 for xbmc 10.1 when using the first generation BCM video decoder (like I am).

I just hacked up the /home/atv/scripts/crystalUpdater.sh script and made "downgradeCrystal.sh". All it does is checkout revision 170 from the trunk instead of the release version. You should also disable the updates so it the driver doesn't get upgraded the next time you reboot.

NOTE: I just did this and ran it in the hopes that it solves my crashing issues. (it didn't, the search goes on...)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#get current SVN tag if updating
CurrTag=trunk
echo Checking out latest tag
mkdir chd
cd chd
svn checkout -r 170 http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/"$CurrTag"
echo Compiling lib
cd "$CurrTag"/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
echo Compiling driver
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd /home/atv
echo Cleaning up directory
sudo rm -rf /home/atv/scripts/chd

Things I've tried. - ajayrockrock - 2011-04-02

So I've tried a bunch of solutions to fix the refresh problem

1) downgraded the crystal drivers. nope
2) check the "adjust... to match video" setting, nope.
3) upgraded the nvidia drives. YES!

BUT lost HDMI audio as was expected. This thing is so close to being awesome, anyone else have any suggestions?

Also, When I had audio working I was never getting sound out of the menu's. There was an .asoundrc file in the root directory. I copied it over to /root/.asoundrc and even /home/atv/.asoundrc (even though I know xbmc is running as root). Still no go. Not a big issue, but an issue.

I'm going to re-install from the USB key and have another go at it in the hopes that I can find the *right* configuration that will give me HDMI audio without having XBMC crash on me every time I exit a video.

Question Mark Flashing Above ATV - funkdr_1999 - 2011-04-02

I've been trying to use this installer to get XBMC onto the HDD of my AppleTV. However, every time the install is complete, it tells me to remove the USB stick and reboot the AppleTV. When I do so, I get the flashing question mark above the ATV and nothing happes. I have tried using multiple thumb drives, an 8 gig and 16 gig. I tried removing the partitions of the HDD using "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=1M". I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

- Worfje - 2011-04-02

I had the same problem. First unplug the power card and then remove the usb stick.
For me this fixed the problem.

- pmcd - 2011-04-02

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Originally Posted by pmcd
Do you mean plug the USB hard drive into the ATV's USB port and boot from the flash drive, also plugged into the port ( using a hub), and it will restore to the external USB drive from the flash drive ( assuming the internal hard drive is present)? This would be fantastic and a trivial way of getting an external USB boot hard drive working (using the whole drive!).

philip

Yep. That's what it does.

Hmm... this doesn't seem to be working out. I have tried several times with different media. I plug the usb hd (sdc) in a hub along with the bootable flash drive (sdb) created by the script. The ATV boots, updates happen on the sdb flash drive but the sdc drive (the hard drive I eventually want to boot the ATV) isn't touched. The flash drive boots the ATV just fine and XBMC has been updated and everything works great. But it doesn't seem to be restoring to the sdc drive.

philip

- chris_b - 2011-04-02

Worfje Wrote:I had the same problem. First unplug the power card and then remove the usb stick.
For me this fixed the problem.

I'm having the same problem and this didn't work for me. Tried it both ways, take USB out first vs. unplug first.

I've downloaded the image twice, formatted a 16GB USB stick twice. Both times the ATV gets to Sam's message about unplugging the USB stick and rebooting, but when I reboot (plug in) I just get the question mark.

Not sure what to do, I'm going to try the whole process yet again...

- h2sammo - 2011-04-02

ajayrockrock Wrote:I just hacked up the /home/atv/scripts/crystalUpdater.sh script and made "downgradeCrystal.sh". All it does is checkout revision 170 from the trunk instead of the release version. You should also disable the updates so it the driver doesn't get upgraded the next time you reboot.

NOTE: I just did this and ran it in the hopes that it solves my crashing issues. (it didn't, the search goes on...)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#get current SVN tag if updating
CurrTag=trunk
echo Checking out latest tag
mkdir chd
cd chd
svn checkout -r 170 http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/"$CurrTag"
echo Compiling lib
cd "$CurrTag"/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install