Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Slagfart - 2011-04-05

bigjuggler Wrote:I am enjoying this complete XBMC solution. Thanks again Sam. I tried to enabled DDS by executing the following over SSH (as recommended on your the Google Project page):

cd .xbmc\userdata
sudo touch advancedsettings.xml
Here I get the error "no such file exists"

I likewise am struggling with this step. I get the problem 'no directory exists' for xbmc\userdata.

I suspect that we're starting off our SSH session in a different directory to yourself. Sam, is it possible to post the full absolute directory for where this XML file should be placed?

Also, is there any downside to having this file? If not, then why was it not included in the installer? Just trying to understand Smile

As for the install process, mine worked first time, beautifully and magically Smile. The patchstick is now being handed around to my friends. Thank you so much for the fantastic work!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-05

bigjuggler Wrote:I am enjoying this complete XBMC solution. Thanks again Sam. I tried to enabled DDS by executing the following over SSH (as recommended on your the Google Project page):

cd .xbmc\userdata
sudo touch advancedsettings.xml
[Here I get the error "no such file exists"]

Still it seems to have created the file. I then use:
sudo nano advancedsettings.xml

and edit the advancedsettings.xml to include this:

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

All seems happy, but nothing happens. I have viewed each fanart image onscreen (which I believe should prompt XBMC to create the DDS version) but nothing happens. There is no drive activity, I cannot find any DDS fanart and it does not load in that lovely snappy way that DDS normally allows.

Does DDS work with your new image? Is there a way to check the logs or something?

Thanks again Sam.

Slagfart Wrote:I likewise am struggling with this step. I get the problem 'no directory exists' for xbmc\userdata.

I suspect that we're starting off our SSH session in a different directory to yourself. Sam, is it possible to post the full absolute directory for where this XML file should be placed?

Also, is there any downside to having this file? If not, then why was it not included in the installer? Just trying to understand Smile

As for the install process, mine worked first time, beautifully and magically Smile. The patchstick is now being handed around to my friends. Thank you so much for the fantastic work!

Sorry, XBMC user data will be found under root: /home/root/.xbmc/userdata . I will update that guide later.

The file wasn't included because not everyone wants DDS fanart enabled -- it enlarges images and can reduce quality. Glad it works for you, but bare in mind if your handing round the installer to your friends it won't work. Ubuntu has a udev rule that prevents the installer working cross-device. Instead, they'll need to create a fresh installer per device. Why not just send them over to http://stmlabs.com Smile ?

... - nverhaar - 2011-04-06

Sam.Nazarko... imma let you finish... but this is THE BEST ATV/XBMC/LINUX installer of all time!!

Love your work! Smile

- thermobaric - 2011-04-06

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Sorry, XBMC user data will be found under root: /home/root/.xbmc/userdata . I will update that guide later.

Yes indeed. This CRUSHED me for about an hour and a half. I had a perfectly working install, but couldn't find the sources.xml to add in the smb mounts.

- Paulkai - 2011-04-06

Help

I have managed to get most things working in SAMs atv but what I can't get is how to mount my USB Drive which has all my movies on it, I have tried but not get g anywhere can someone point to an article that explains this in an easy way.

Paul

did you install Sam's image to the ATV harddrive?

- Paulkai - 2011-04-06

Yes I did

- Reptielll - 2011-04-06

I want to install the skin BIG.ALASKA, since it is better suited for my smaller SD tv.. i want to unrar it in the add-ons folder, but when i login with filezilla and browse to /root/.xbmc/addons to unzip i get a PERMISSION DENIED error... any idea why?

EDIT: Ok, i figured it out, using Putty and the command Sudo... Excuse me for my dumb questions before trying to figure it out myself...

Reptielll Wrote:I want to install the skin BIG.ALASKA, since it is better suited for my smaller SD tv.. i want to unrar it in the add-ons folder, but when i login with filezilla and browse to /root/.xbmc/addons to unzip i get a PERMISSION DENIED error... any idea why?

You should probably post SKIN related questions in the thread specifically designated for that right here.

Your problem is likely that you have to have root permissions to play in the root directory, and you're not accomplishing that by using filezilla. Research using SSH via the terminal on your particular computer.

Paulkai Wrote:Yes I did

Okay. Since this is built on a minimal Ubuntu install, try this thread which I found by using Search and mount external usb Nod

If that doesn't work, I'll hash through it with you. What file format is your external in?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-06

thermobaric Wrote:You should probably post SKIN related questions in the thread specifically designated for that right here.

Your problem is likely that you have to have root permissions to play in the root directory, and you're not accomplishing that by using filezilla. Research using SSH via the terminal on your particular computer.

Copy it to /home/atv then in an SSH session type sudo mv /home/atv/skin /home/root/xbmc/......

- Paulkai - 2011-04-06

Hi Thermobaric, will check that thread later on. USB is an iomega 500gb formatted to windows. will let you know how get on

Thanks

Paul

Paulkai Wrote:Hi Thermobaric, will check that thread later on. USB is an iomega 500gb formatted to windows. will let you know how get on

Thanks

Paul

Okay, as long as it isn't formatted in NTFS, it's not a big deal to mount it. usually something along the lines of mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /atv/movies should do the trick. Again, that's assuming that your USB drive is seen by the appleTV at /dev/sda1...

- Paulkai - 2011-04-07

Hi Thermobaric guess what tried it but could not see USB drive put in my win7 computer and it's formatted in ntfs, I will reformat with the mac to mac journaled, then try it again tomorrow will let you know thanks for your help

Paul

- bigjuggler - 2011-04-08

Quick question. I run Sam's image off a usb hard drive and all is well.

It does not automount the AppleTV's internal drive of course.

After much googling, it seems that if I want to mount the internal drive I have to alter the fstab located in etc.

Being total Linux novice, I looked at the fstab on one of Sam's earlier images that did mount the internal drive and found a line that looks like it would work. I do not want to mess up, my reliable usb bootdrive, so I just want to make sure this is right. I think I add the following to the fstab using nano:

# Mount the Media partition on the ATV internal PATA disk
/dev/sda4 /media/pata hfsplus force,rw,user,defaults 0 0

Does it matter if it comes before or after what is already there? Is this the right code to add?'

Thanks for any guidance.

Cheers,

Craig